Neurology Community
sore spots on head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sore spots on head

For a year or two now I've had two (2) sore spots on the top of my head, right behind the top, about an inch apart.  If I push on them it is too sore to stand, so obviously I don't do that unless I'm testing it.  Then if I have a headache and I swallow, I can feel the headache in those two spots.  If I hold my head, push on my head with both my hands while I swallow, I don't feel the pain as much.  It is strange, and not getting any better.  I have asked my doctor, and she basically ignores me about this.  She once looked on top of my head and said "no I don't see anything."  Well, I asked her to at least enter it into my health record last time.  It feels like I have a vice grip on my head.  Pressure.  Then the spots are so sore.  Can't be normal, what can I do????
I have had sore spots on various places on my head typically related to intense and sustained headaches.  Even when the headaches eases and goes away, the related sore spots are quite tender have remained that way for several days thereafter.  During the height of the headache I find that if I press on the sore spots my head and headache clear a bit and although the spots are indeed sore I sometimes do this to temporarily relieve the pain of the headache itself.  When the sore spots are on my forehead I can sometimes observe a bit of swelling but never discoloration.  

I had mentioned this to my physicians for years but only a neurologist and my ENT (ear, nose, throat) doctors had heard of this previously and both advised me that it a result of the intense and sustained constriction of the blood vessels in the head that causes the soreness, similar to holding your fist (or any muscle) in a ball for several hours or even days.  If you were to do that you would find that the muscles in your hands and fingers would first be uncomfortable and then downright sore in spots within minutes; if you did this for hours/days the sore spots would continue to hurt for some time even after you relaxed your hand.  

Their advise was to treat both the headache (whatever works best for you) and symptomatically the sore spots.  I treat the later with cold compresses after my headache recedes, as it treats the swelling and also the soreness.

Good luck!!!  You are not alone.
my brother was born with spots on his head and now at the age of 48 he still suffers with them.  They get sore and itchy.  Does anyone have any clue as his doctor doesn't.

Thank you sharon

Thanks for writing in.
Sore spots on the head can be due to dermatitis. Have you started using a new hair product?
Allergies to hair products and food items can cause dermatitis on the scalp. It may help to consult a dermatologist about it.

Hope this helps!
About 1 year ago a friend of mine tried to kill herself by strangulation. Thankfully she failed. How ever since she has been complaining of her head feeling soft, with sores. She washes her hair and brown, yellowish, black sticky stuff fills the tub? Also after she is unable to brsh/comb her hair(over 1year)? Lots of pain, headachs, fainting, dizzy, nausea, and confussion? please HELP?????????