sparkly vision
My 8 year old daughter has been complaining of  sparkly or snowy vision.  She sees the main item in sight, but sees everything around it in millions of colors.  I took her to the eye dr and her eyes are fine including the pressure, etc..  She suggested a pediatric neurologist.  Any ideas?  I'm waiting for the referral.
I used to get something like this when I was a kid that they finally thought was low blood pressure.  I saw what I was looking at okay, but it was in a kind of dark circle surrounded by constellations of lights. As I got older I began to faint when I changed position too fast (sitting to standing).  It was always preceded by the constellation lights.  Eventually I learned to grab hold of something and not close my eyes and i would remain standing through the event.  Then one day when I was about 15 I just outgrew it.
Hope this helps.
Have 8 yr old boy with similar problem. Sees the blinking lights only when light is present not when it is totally dark. Even with eyes closed sees them if the room light is on. Peds. Neurologist was without an answer and MRI was normal. They said could be migrains but probably not since does not see them when it is totally dark. They said might be one of those unexplainable things that is not serious. Would be interested if you find out what it is.
gbboy
momoffab3,
You can find more info about this if you do a search for visual snow.  (There are support groups for this too.)
It may be due to an infection of the nerves to the eyes.
There are a number of people with Lyme Disease who have this problem, as the Borrelia bacteria can infect the cranial nerves.
The flash discussion group at LymeNet.org has had several interesting threads about this.  The website is down this week, but I can post some info next week, if you are interested.

Carol

When I was a child I thought that everyone saw that way, it was only in my teens that I started asking questions, but the Dr's then had no idea what I was talking about and so dismissed it.

I have been seen by opthalmologists and neurologists without explanation,

One Dr gave me the suggestion that the brain does not like empty space and creates patterns to fill it. That made sence to me especially now considering what I know about how the visual cortex constructs visual experience.

These days I am merely fascinated by my visual tinnitus as I call it. When I am fatigued it is more prominent and indeed I get some fascinating pyscedelic lightshows.

It could well be allied to synasthesia. It was when I saw a TV programme on synasthesia where they tried to reproduce the shapes and colours that a particular person saw that I had an epiphany and thought, yeah thats what my world looks like.
Thank you for your insight.  It's unsettling to know that this can happen and as a parent, there is nothing I can do.  I'm meeting with her pediatrician on Monday, so I feel like I have been educated on to the light shows my daughter has.  I'll keep it posted, but I was lucky to find on the internet this gentleman who is an analyst for a neurologist program.  He said that this issues is at the forefront of medical feel, but little is know about the problem and there is no cure for it at present. James T Fulton [***@****]

I thank you and I'll be sleeping much better tonight.

Susan