Neurology Community
spasms and memory problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

spasms and memory problems

Hello Im a 29 year old female. Two years ago i started having spams tremors and ticks. i have had my hands jump off the bed like they had a mind of there own. I also get spasms in my arms legs and face that can be seen under the skin. I also have tics shoulder shrugging sometimes my neck twiches or my legs will jump. I also have a problem with them getting this heaviness feeling and they hurt and when I try to walk they feel like they are going to colapse from under me. I have also had a few instances where I was involved in a conversation and its like I disappeared for awhile to return to the conversation and be completely lost and not know what was said. After realizing this has happened i got blurred vision and dizzy headed. I have had tyroid tests done in the past cbcs emg and eeg. And the eeg was abnormal. I was also tested for hungtingtons which I was cleared to not have. Any thoughts on what could be causing this. Thanks chreey
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You need to consult a neurologist for these symptoms since this sounds like multiple sclerosis. Multiple sclerosis is a chronic demyelinating neurological disorder where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. You have many of these symptoms. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI and a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Take care.