Neurology Expert Forum
spinal fluid
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

spinal fluid

How long dose it take to rebuild spinal fluid after loss
Related Discussions
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

It depends on how much fluid was removed. In general, at any one time, our body contains on average 150 mL (cc) of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the fluid that bathes the brain and spine. The body produces around 20-30 mL per hour, or around 500-700 mL a day. In general, following lumbar puncture for removal of fluid, around 16-20 mL are removed, though sometimes more or less depending on the indications for the test and how many tests are going to be sent on the fluid. Therefore, 1 hour is usually needed to replace the fluid that is removed. In some cases, a persistent leakage of CSF from the site where the needle was inserted occurs, leading to a prolonged headache that is worst with sitting/standing and better with lying down. If this occurs, there are specific treatments for this include hydration, caffeine, and in some cases, procedure called a blood patch.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank