NEUROLOGY
FORUM
spinal fluid
by maw1969, Nov 02, 2009
How long dose it take to rebuild spinal fluid after loss
Answer:
Avatar_dr_f_tn
by Neuro ForumBlank, Nov 05, 2009
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

It depends on how much fluid was removed. In general, at any one time, our body contains on average 150 mL (cc) of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), the fluid that bathes the brain and spine. The body produces around 20-30 mL per hour, or around 500-700 mL a day. In general, following lumbar puncture for removal of fluid, around 16-20 mL are removed, though sometimes more or less depending on the indications for the test and how many tests are going to be sent on the fluid. Therefore, 1 hour is usually needed to replace the fluid that is removed. In some cases, a persistent leakage of CSF from the site where the needle was inserted occurs, leading to a prolonged headache that is worst with sitting/standing and better with lying down. If this occurs, there are specific treatments for this include hydration, caffeine, and in some cases, procedure called a blood patch.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.
Member Comments (1)