Neurology Community
spinal fracture during pregnancy *Please Read*

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had 6 spinal surgeries between the ages of 12 and 18. My last surgery was August of 2012 and it was done because my spine was fractured. Now I am 12 weeks pregnant, and it is December 2012, and my spine feels the same exact way that it did when it was fractured before. Every time I think something is wrong with my spine I am right and they always do surgery to fix it. Since I have been pregnant, my insurance stopped covering me and I am waiting for my Medi Cal to go through. What do I do about my pain until then? It is very severe and I have no choice but to go to work every day in a warehouse. What are the strongest meds that I can take while my baby is still safe? Please do not recommend muscle relaxers or nerve pain medicine, I have tried it all and I know what helps me (opiates and methadone) I just need to know what is SAFE. Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

You could take OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain. It is safe in pregnancy. Stronger painkillers or sedatives are not recommended in pregnancy.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.