Neurology Expert Forum
spots on the chin that never heal

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

spots on the chin that never heal

I'm a 37 year old female and for the last 10 yrs have had problems with spots/acne.I think it all started at the time I stopped taking the contraceptive pill due to medical reasons. I only get spots on the chin and around my jawline. They improve but never actually go away, this seems to be on a monthly cycle. They can be white and hard and I can gently ease this out but they always come back in the same place. Sometimes the whole area becomes inflamed and sensitive and if I leave it alone it doesn't heal either.Occassionly I have what seems to be small blisters and my skin is permanently dry and flaky in this area. I have very dry and sensitive skin anyway but am worried to use too much moisturiser as this can make it worse.  I've tried many things and have spoken to my doctor about this and was referred to a dermatologist who got distracted by the fact that he discovered I suffer from from poly morphic sun disorder and the other problem got bypassed! I was prescribed an antibiotic roll on lotion which kept the problem at bay but it still never healed properly.Then I was given a 4 mth course of oral antibiotics but this didn't work either. I've also been given a couple of creams with no success.When I speak to my doctor now his only suggestion is to keep using the roll-on lotion but I'm wondering if there is any course of action that I can try to rid myself of this for good.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
   Your complaints of reccurent acne is not my area of specialty (I would suggest a dermatology forum), but I will try to help you.  Acne is caused by over production of sebacceous oils on the skin surface that can then become infected with bacteria, forming a pimple.  These pimples will come and go with the oil cycles on the face (often related to hormones etc.).  No single approach is often effective in treating acne, and it is best to approach it from several angles at once.  First you need to reduce the amount of oil produced on your face.  Try washing with a gentle oil removing soap such as Noxema.  Then rinse with an skin toner that removes oil and deep cleans your pores. These toners often contain salicylic acid and help prevent future pimples.  You then want to apply a moisturizer that will not clog pores.  Without the moisturizer the skin with dry out, crack and become a chronic non-healing problem.  People with cystic acne, often respond to oral antibiotics and topical antibiotic creams can also be helpful at killing bacteria on the surface, but the key is to prepare an enviroment that is free of sebacous oil, not cracked or inflammed and difficult to grow in (salicylic acid) to achieve the cosmetic result you desire.  In severe cases, acne can leave scars that can be improved upon with plastic surgery, such as derma-abrasion.
  I hope this has been helpful.