Neurology Community
stabbing ear pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

stabbing ear pain

for the last 4 to 5 years I have periodic severe pain in my right ear it can last anywhere fom 20 minutes to 4hours.  The pain is so severe I sometimes wonder if I'm having a stroke.  I say a doctor recently they suggested a head x-ray and blood tests.My insurance is so crappy I have not gone for testing, What could cause such systoms and should I be concerned?> This right ear pain feels like someone has taken an ice pick and stabbed me in the side of my head?  What do you suggest?
I have the same problem in my left ear. It seems to happen after I drink a couple beers or if I'm hungover. I also have allergies to pollen and the environment so I've wondered if maybe I'm allergic to alcohol. IT also sometimes happens after I drink coffee. Feels like there's fluid in my ear and then i get stabbing pains in the side of my head that can last for hours. Sometimes after I take a hot shower it feels relieved or a decongestant. God it's horrible.
I have been experiencing this same type of pain for the last year or so.My pain is in my left ear and usually wakes me up in the middle of the night. Although lately it has happened when I am awake.  I have had blood work done (which was all normal) a head and sinus CT ( both normal). 2 hearing test (both normal) and today I went for a CT of the temporal bones. I will find out the results on Thursday.My ENT thinks that it is some kind of migraine. Which I do not think it is, but when If the CT from yesterday is normal I will be going to a neurologist. I don't drink so I know that is not  related to the problem, however your description of being stab with an ice pick is exactly the way that mine feels.
So, what did you fine out? I have recently started having the same type of stabbing pain in my left ear. My scalp is also sentative too.