Neurology Expert Forum
stabbing pain in one leg

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

stabbing pain in one leg

I have stabbing leg pain in my right leg.  The pain is mostly in the front lower area of my leg and feels like something is literally stabbing me from the inside.  I've had x-rays, mri's, and a cat scan to try to find what's wrong.  We've ruled out MS, psoas mass. Nothing out of the ordinary has shone up on any of the tests.  My neurologist thinks it's a pinched nerve, but it can't be located.  There is very little reflex in my right knee, and numbness of the skin on my shin of the right leg too.  Could this just be a pinched nerve? and aside from daily medications, which I don't want to do, what can be done for it if the nerve can't be found? Are there things like exercises that I can do to make the pain stop?  I don't know what triggers it - some days are good, some are bad. On bad days, the pain is exhausting.  There is no loss of feeling in the leg, just sensation on the skin.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.
I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet as this site is purely educational

A decreased reflex in the right knee can be from a pinched obturator nerve in the thigh which supplies the quadriceps muscle. It can also come from a pinched 3rd or 4th lumbar nerve root. The way to tell the difference is that the obturator nerve only supplies a small portion of skin on the medial thigh, whereas the L3 and L4 nerve root upply skin all the way down to the ankle. Single nerves can also be affected by a variety of things such as diabetes, vasculitis, Lyme, sarcoid among others, although rare these could be checked for.

A possible way of localizign which nerve is involved are nerve conduction studies and an EMG which may eb abnormal in teh presenceof a normal scan.

symptomatic relief with a variety of nerve pain targeted medications is available such as gabapentin, pregabalin and local medication such as capsaicin cream.

Good luck
Just a thought: have you gone to a chiropractor for investigation into a possible pinched nerve in the spine?  Your symptoms make a pinched nerve fairly likely.
I did go once, and she said my pelvis is off by 1 1/2 inches and that she could fix my problems with 8 visits.  I couldn't afford the co-pays, and am not sure I believe the wonder cure.  Have you gone to a chiropractor?  Can they really do what they say?  I appreciate your help so much, thanks!
I question any doctor (not just chiropractors) who profess an ability to 'cure' neurological problems.  I would be especially leery about wanting you to come back so many times.  My gut reaction is that this chiro is calculating a minimum cash flow (8 visits times $copay + $$$insurance charges). Perhaps a different chiro is in order.

I am lucky enough to know a very reputable chiropractor in my home town (Joliet, IL).  He is very thorough, and so far has suggested mostly the same things that my regular doctor has recommended.  

I'm wondering if your problems stem from a slipped disc or pinched nerve in your lower back, which is why I asked about a chiro.  Do you have access to a different chiro - perhaps one whom some of your friends or family members would endorse?  Failing that, have you seen a good neurologist (better yet, have you seen a pain clinic doctor)?

Just some suggestions.

Jeff

I do have other options in regards to another chiro.  I haven't had a second opionion from a neurologist (I tend to find a doc I like and trust them).  I have never been to a pain doc.  I don't want to be on meds longterm.  I've had an x-ray and mri of the lower back and they were both fine, so I don't know if it could be in the lower back.  There is also tenderness in the upper thigh on the same leg (at the top of the thigh)
Thanks for helping.
A related discussion, stabbing leg pain was started.