stabbing pain in upper thigh
I have a tender portion of my right upper thigh and every once in a while I get a stabbing pain lasting only for about 2 seconds but it is severe enough that I gasp.The pain will come about every 5 minutes and goes away in about an hour.  It is situated close to the groin.  It is painful at night to lie on my right side.  I had this same situation on my left thigh last June but it went away in a few days.  This has lasted for about a week.  The Iain comes when I am sitting down.
I would appreciate any information you can give me.  
Thank you,
How are you doing now?
Sharp pain present over the right thigh suggests that the peripheral nerve supply is been damaged, diseased or compressed while exiting from spinal cord.
Nerve Root Pain - nerve root pinching / irritation / compression / trapping is always associated with signs of nerve dysfunction (not working properly) such as pain, tingling, numbness, and weakness. The causes of the irritation are: - within the spine Annular Tear (small disc tear), Disc Prolapse (herniation), Spinal Stenosis (narrowing of the internal diameter of the spinal canal) among others.
I think you need to consult a neurologist followed by an orthopaedician to rule out pathological state.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
OMG I thought I was going crazy.  I have had the same issue with only my right thigh for several years now.  It will be weeks and alot of times months in between an episodes and lasts a couple of hours, but this Sunday it lasted almost 24 hours.  Afterwards the area is sore to the touch and you are scared that the pain will return.  Mine pain happens while both sitting and standing  Thanks so much for the advice.  Now I know it is not some phantom pain.

I

I
I have the same problem. it started two years ago when i would walk or stand too long, i would get a stabbing pain in the crease of me leg and i would almost fall to the floor when i would step forward. Well, that still happens but now i am having the same exact problem you are having and its a sharp pain that last 1 to 2 seconds. Bad enough to make you gasp. I was checked for blood clots but nothing was found. that was 2 years ago. i gave up but now this pain i get when i am sitting or laying down is killing me. I am going to have to see a doctor before anything else starts to hurt.