Neurology Community
stinging and burning skull

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

stinging and burning skull

Please help if you can i have a stinging and burning sensation on top and the right side
of my skull, i do suffer from migraines but have never experienced this feeling so bad before, i am very concerned and worried, it is driving me mad.
Hi, Thank you very much for your question. It may be temporal arteritis or occipital neuralgia condition. In temporal arteritis condition headache is usually concentrated in the one region of your head and it is tender to touch and things like combing your hair may be painful. But in addition to this for any persistent headaches, possibilities like migrainous, cluster, tension and refractive errors that need to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a neurologist here. Migraine like headache can be throbbing, one sided of face & head and preceded by aura (starts with blurred vision). Cluster headache may appear as burning, explosive in nature and tear appears from eyes. Tension headache originates with stress and anxiety disorder. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your headache attacks & other symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!

whenever the same head symptoms you describe happens to me is when i pile my hair atop my head and that night it was so sore and painful under my skull that i cannot sleep until it dissipates several hours later.  it may be nerve damage from when 12 yrs ago, i was thrown off my bicycle by a car that hit me and caused me to land on the back of my head which bounced hard twice on the pavement.  For over a year i felt like a thousand needles were  tingling in the back of my head and i could not even cover my head with a silk scarf in winter. for a year.  Even now when i tie my hair back with a banana ring or barrette the lower part of my head where the barrette sits gets very itchy.  So much for being able to style my hair in an updo or an attractive way other than just hanging down.  My hair is still quite thick  -- i am in my 70's) and in certain weather i look like i have a pyramid of hair.  Also, when the weather is hot, i can no longer get relief by tieing it back or piling it up without the repercussions of the same head pain you describe.  Cutting my hair short is not an option.  The waviness turns to straight wiskbrooms and ui look like i am trying to appear like a skinhead with spikey hair all over, and its not a harmonious look!