NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
stinging pain in back
by timhawthorne, Jan 01, 2008
I have frequent pain that is like I am being stung by a bee.  this occurs along the center of my back and can be from a single mild sting infrequently through the day to dozens of sharp stings up and down my back nearly constant for minutes at a time.
Member Comments (12)
by Godofredo MD, Jan 02, 2008
Hi.

Aside from this stinging pain at the back, are there any other symptoms that you experience? Is the pain primarily located vertically along the center of your back? Have you been lifting heavy loads recently or been in an accident? How long has this been going on?

The symptoms you are experiencing can be possibly be caused by either muscle disease, nerve injury, or a spine condition. Some examples would include disk herniation, disk bulging, vertebral malalignment, nerve root compression, degenerative disk disease, muscle cramps, etc.

You should probably have it looked at by an orthopedist or a neurologist to determine what may be causing your symptoms. In the meantime, you can take over-the-counter pain medications to help relieve some of the pain. I would advise you against having it manipulated in any way prior to having it checked by a health professional. You should also refrain from lifting heavy loads and poor posture while sitting.

Hope this helps.
by BunearyTheRabbit, Sep 25, 2009
I've had that feeling also! I get it very often but instead my WHOLE back stings! I get it when I'm stressed or very sweaty. When I worry just a bit, my whole back starts to sting and itch and I have to relax so the stinging goes away. This happens in many people and when you get extreme heat on your back,it will either sting or tingle. But can someone explain what is wrong with ME?!
by wareagleolemiss, Dec 12, 2009
I have a weird stinging sensation under my shoulder blade on the right side of my back. its secluded to a very small area on my back. I have my girlfriend look at the area from time to time but she swears nothing is there or visible. Its seems to be an almost constant stinging and throbbing sensation when i really focus on it. but honestly, its not a large of enough pain to bring me to my knees when i dont think about it. What could it be?
by MamaMia95, Oct 15, 2011
That just happened to me yesterday in the morning at work. I actually thought I was allergic to the elastic in my bra or something. Had a coworker look at my back. (Nothing there.) Also itchiness at back of my neck, elbows, knees, and the backs of my hands at the same time. Came and went all day, especially during my hot bath (had to get out of the tub!) The pricking, bee-stinging sensation in a dozen spots on my back was uncomfortable, somewhat painful, and certainly distracting! Hope it's not fibromyalgia...
by slamminsam2012, Aug 02, 2012
i have the same problem right now..im going to get checked out as i type this! will let you know whats wrong~sam
by Scarletrobin, Sep 04, 2012
Its painful from the shoulder and makes it through the should blade to the spine were it stings down the spine for about 5-6 inches
by Banita, Dec 08, 2012
Please if you get the answer will you post it?  I have been getting bee stings the front of my right shoulder.  Constant.  Then I have really sore shoulder sockets?  Painful to touch, otherwise wouldn't know it.  But this sting in my shoulder is the same as I've had in my legs.  This is all new to me, so I am just reading and have made an appointment with a chiropractor for Monday...I don't know if this is the answer.  Help!
by tosca119, Dec 21, 2012
Wow, I also have a bee sting sensation under my right shoulder blade periodically, any body find out what was causing it. I was afraid that it might be shingles :(
by Ashleydenise2011, Jan 31, 2013
I just found out I have spine curvature and I have the stinging all over my back throughout the day. I was referred to physical therapy to help correct it. My doctor said its from possible muscle strain on my spine at some point. But for now it's tramadol aleve and icy hot to help soothe it.