Neurology Community
stinging pain in back

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

stinging pain in back

I have frequent pain that is like I am being stung by a bee.  this occurs along the center of my back and can be from a single mild sting infrequently through the day to dozens of sharp stings up and down my back nearly constant for minutes at a time.
Hi.

Aside from this stinging pain at the back, are there any other symptoms that you experience? Is the pain primarily located vertically along the center of your back? Have you been lifting heavy loads recently or been in an accident? How long has this been going on?

The symptoms you are experiencing can be possibly be caused by either muscle disease, nerve injury, or a spine condition. Some examples would include disk herniation, disk bulging, vertebral malalignment, nerve root compression, degenerative disk disease, muscle cramps, etc.

You should probably have it looked at by an orthopedist or a neurologist to determine what may be causing your symptoms. In the meantime, you can take over-the-counter pain medications to help relieve some of the pain. I would advise you against having it manipulated in any way prior to having it checked by a health professional. You should also refrain from lifting heavy loads and poor posture while sitting.

Hope this helps.
I've had that feeling also! I get it very often but instead my WHOLE back stings! I get it when I'm stressed or very sweaty. When I worry just a bit, my whole back starts to sting and itch and I have to relax so the stinging goes away. This happens in many people and when you get extreme heat on your back,it will either sting or tingle. But can someone explain what is wrong with ME?!
I have a weird stinging sensation under my shoulder blade on the right side of my back. its secluded to a very small area on my back. I have my girlfriend look at the area from time to time but she swears nothing is there or visible. Its seems to be an almost constant stinging and throbbing sensation when i really focus on it. but honestly, its not a large of enough pain to bring me to my knees when i dont think about it. What could it be?
That just happened to me yesterday in the morning at work. I actually thought I was allergic to the elastic in my bra or something. Had a coworker look at my back. (Nothing there.) Also itchiness at back of my neck, elbows, knees, and the backs of my hands at the same time. Came and went all day, especially during my hot bath (had to get out of the tub!) The pricking, bee-stinging sensation in a dozen spots on my back was uncomfortable, somewhat painful, and certainly distracting! Hope it's not fibromyalgia...
i have the same problem right now..im going to get checked out as i type this! will let you know whats wrong~sam
Its painful from the shoulder and makes it through the should blade to the spine were it stings down the spine for about 5-6 inches
Please if you get the answer will you post it?  I have been getting bee stings the front of my right shoulder.  Constant.  Then I have really sore shoulder sockets?  Painful to touch, otherwise wouldn't know it.  But this sting in my shoulder is the same as I've had in my legs.  This is all new to me, so I am just reading and have made an appointment with a chiropractor for Monday...I don't know if this is the answer.  Help!
Wow, I also have a bee sting sensation under my right shoulder blade periodically, any body find out what was causing it. I was afraid that it might be shingles :(
I just found out I have spine curvature and I have the stinging all over my back throughout the day. I was referred to physical therapy to help correct it. My doctor said its from possible muscle strain on my spine at some point. But for now it's tramadol aleve and icy hot to help soothe it.
Notice you seem to get this when you are stressed and worried; and trying to relax can provide some relief--this is no coincidence.  While it's good to rule out medical problems, this area is associated with the fourth chakra, the heart chakra, represents compassion, love and peace; the dividing center between the upper/lower chakras.  Many  women have heart chakra issues & pain in the middle upper back, the area can represent the 'handle' of the emotional baggage we so often carry.  When we suffer emotionally, we tend to slump forward, as if to tighten the rib 'cage' that guards a wounded heart, the shoulders are down, and so is the spirit.  This is an area we cannot 'reach by ourselves'...is only reached and healed by forgiveness and love. Take a look at your emotional life, your self-attitude; release self criticism, journal your feelings, learn to nurture yourself through nature; take a body, mind spirit review and clean house a bit and you'll see this stinging decrease and go away.  It's your inner wake up call manifesting in your outer body.  
I have the same stinging on my left side. I have had quite a bit of surgery on my neck c2-c5 fused. I have no clue what this is, it is not the same pain I had before my last surgery (5years ago) but I am afraid. I do not want anymore surgery's the last ones didn't really help!
Oh my gosh this is so weird.  My stinging pain/sensation under my right shoulder blade on my back and it feels like it reaches my right breast!!  It's this "stinging" that feels almost external!  I wonder what it is and yes, I think it's stress and I'm in that "menopausal" stage :(.  Please feel free to contact me if you know of anything at ***@****.  Thank you.    
I have experienced the same thing.  At first 30 years ago as a teenager.  Mostly associated with sweat or stress (that I also associate with sweat).  Had every test known to man at the time, saw many doctors.  Fortunately my parents had good insurance at the time.  By age 25 it mostly went away.  Now at age 46 the stngs are back with a vengeance.  All over my body.  One doctor noted that I have extremely tiny pores.  I only use ivory soap at his recommendation. Before when they went away I made a point to sweat heavily daily.  That helped it to go away.  Will try this again this time around.