strange crackling noise at the base of my skull when I'm hungry
Why do I hear a crackling noise in my head and neck when I'm hungry?  It happens whenever I'm really really hungry and the noise coincides with the growling of my stomach.  I've had this as long as I can remember.  It doesn't hurt but it kind of grosses me out to hear something in my own head.  The best way I've heard someone describe it is like the noise a rainstick makes, but I can also feel it cracking.  I've read all kinds of explanations like the electricity in your head, or spinal fluid being heard because of a thin ear bone, or a signal being sent from your stomach because of low blood sugar, even something about chiari malformation.  I really want to know, WHAT IS IT?
This happens to me too. I can only hear it at night like its inside my head when I feel really hungry. I've been wondering what this is or if its anything to worry about.
Same thing here -- rushing sound continual and then a weird sound like a bird chirp sporatically.  Full ears, light hearing impairment. My neck also makes a cracking sound when I turn my head but I think it will go away with a chiropractic adjustment. Has started out slowly this time but increased daily over the past few days. Is now a roar.   Have had it before prior to a lengthy hospital stay due to bowel surgery but not during time in hospital or afterward until now.  Have doc appt this week -- have asked before but gotten no response.  wonder if is meds related?
Ive had the crackling for many years and was stunned that you mentioned chiari malformation as a cause. I do have chiari malformation but don't know if its linked. I asked a neurologist once and he had no clue what i was talking about. Did you ever find the cause?