Neurology Expert Forum
strange movements

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

strange movements

Hello, I am a 33 year old female who has been experience chronic pain in the left cervial/tapezius/shoulder area for about four years.  Initially, the pain would just flare up every couple of months of so, and at the time i was fairly active and just thought I had strained my mucsles a little.  In the past year, the pain has become more chronic and severe.  My question is this - during this the past four years I have an "inclination" to "jerk" or shrug my left shoulder and neck to "pop" them.  There is a lot of cracking and the popping seems to releive presure in the area and make it feel better for a few seconds. The jerking is only with the left shoulder and my neck, always to the left - and it has been getting worse the past few months. (not sure which came first - pain or movement) My family doctor had cervical Mri done -normal.  He then sent me to an orthopedic doctor who said my shoulder was fine and that I have fibromyalgia.  ( I don't have pain anywhere else in my body?!)  He is sending me to a physical medicine doctor.  Will this doctor be able to tell if I have some sort of movement disorder, and is a jerking motion consistent with any type of dystonia?  Each doctor I have been to has noticed this "motion" and asked about it - but then just said to quit doing it.  I've tried - but that just to make me do it more.
Would have to personally see the movement to make an accurate comment. But it sounds like the movement is voluntary and more in response to the chronic pain, rather than a primary movement disorder.  However, there is a small possibility that it may represent some sort of tic.  Tics are movements that you can voluntarily suppress, but the urge to make the movement builds and you feel a release when you do it. Consider seeing a movement disorders specialist (neurologist) at a major academic center for further evaluation. Good luck.
Also forgot to mention that I do have some problems with numbness and occasional shock like sensations in the same area and the left side of my face and throat, as well as occasional left-sided migraines, but these seem to coincide with the amount of cracking and jerking that I've done that day.