Neurology Community
stroke victim moves hand after a year.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

stroke victim moves hand after a year.

My father is 50 years old, and on May 14th 2011 suffered from a massive acute stroke, leaving him paralyzed on the left side with strong aphasia. He regained feeling threw the entire left side, but he says he still doesn't feel as "clear" as on the other side. The leg started to move while he was in the rehab hospital and is now able to walk with cane, and somewhat without it. The hand hasn't moved at all. We did out-patient therapy and since then we do all the exercises his therapist told us to do at home.  Two month ago the hand started lifting ( about 10 inches ) while yawning. Last month  while sleeping he started moving it from the bed to his stomach and open his fingers. Today while watching TV he would open his fingers and relax it from the usual stiff fist he would have.  Everything is unconscious .We have noticed that for the past two months its getting easier and easier to open his fingers.
I have talked to a lot of people and read many blogs but I can never find anything more about the hand, and what are signs showing progress. I want to stay positive and I would never give up, but I also don't want to read too much into it. We kind of gave up on the hand, and expected it not to move again, so please if you have any insides, share.