stroke victim moves hand after a year.
My father is 50 years old, and on May 14th 2011 suffered from a massive acute stroke, leaving him paralyzed on the left side with strong aphasia. He regained feeling threw the entire left side, but he says he still doesn't feel as "clear" as on the other side. The leg started to move while he was in the rehab hospital and is now able to walk with cane, and somewhat without it. The hand hasn't moved at all. We did out-patient therapy and since then we do all the exercises his therapist told us to do at home.  Two month ago the hand started lifting ( about 10 inches ) while yawning. Last month  while sleeping he started moving it from the bed to his stomach and open his fingers. Today while watching TV he would open his fingers and relax it from the usual stiff fist he would have.  Everything is unconscious .We have noticed that for the past two months its getting easier and easier to open his fingers.
I have talked to a lot of people and read many blogs but I can never find anything more about the hand, and what are signs showing progress. I want to stay positive and I would never give up, but I also don't want to read too much into it. We kind of gave up on the hand, and expected it not to move again, so please if you have any insides, share.
I'm glad to hear that you are staying positive, as this is the best medicine.

Although it could be that he's healing, it is also possible that these are just sporadic "twitches".
Sort of like involuntary muscle spasms.
As for the " getting easier to open his fingers" are you referring to you opening them or him?
Does he have any feeling in the hand?

I really don't want to get your hopes up and then have the "bubble burst"...that would be most unfair of me.

Keep doing the exercises and have him try to open and close his hand to the best of his ability.
If he's able to do this on a daily basis, just accept your little miracle. : )

If you would like to explore more of the reasons why this could be happening, let me know. We can go in-depth if you wish.