Neurology Community
stuttering

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

stuttering

I am 16 years-old and have been stuttering for pratically all my life. I have been to a speech therapist for about 5 years but when i turned 15 she said that she can't help me aymore and I really have to push myself if Iwant my speech to get better. My parents told me that I got hit by a swing in the head at about 4 years old and it was an inch away from my eye. Ive been stuttering a lot lately and my head hurts(headaches). Does anybody have any advice or suggestions?
You are a smart young man to put your concerns out there!  I am 54 and on this site due to my sons med concerns.  At my age I had a couple stutters come into my life.  One was a state governors press secretary.  One was a school dept superintendent and the other was a young gal who could sing without stuttering.  Life, our brains and our paths are all interesting.  I pray that you can not think of yourself as a stutter, but rather as a great kid that can accomplish lots despite your burden.  Good luck to you!
Avatar dr m tn
Stuttering is basically a neurological and physiological problem but stress and anxiety escalate the problem. Please do not be under stress. Treatment is custom made according to each person, as no two persons are same. A number of techniques are available for achieving fluency which are prolonged speech techniques, airflow therapies, rhythmic speech, biofeedback methods, vocal control, masking, anxiety reduction, attitudinal therapy and trial therapy. Speech therapy involves learning new speech techniques (such as speaking syllable-by-syllable) and modifying the present  ways of speaking (such as reducing the rate of speech). It may also include psychological training and counselling for boosting self-esteem and reducing the fear and tendency of avoiding  situations such as speaking in front of a group. Please consult another speech therapist because many people do take help in teen age and benefit from it. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Dear Jon,
I've seen on television a couple times about a special ear plug gizmo that allows some people who stutter to talk normally.  The man who had one in his ear was talking about it very plainly, and the moment he took the ear thing out, he began to stutter again.  So, you may wish to inquire to an ear nose throat ENT man about this special ear appliance that stops stuttering.  I don't know how it works or anything, and it's possible it's still in trials, but since your therapist has given up, I'd be busy looking for that special ear thing.  
GG
Hi guys, I really appreciate all the advice and stuff. I'm gonna look into that ear piece thingy. Thanks again.
Speech disorder will be recovered easily , when they are constant efforts from both patient and Therapist. Normally Breathing exercises and Speech training by  therapist will be helpful. Ask your therapist about this
Speech disorder will be recovered easily , when there are constant efforts from both patient and Therapist. Normally Breathing exercises and Speech training by  therapist will be helpful. Ask your therapist about this