Neurology Community
sucess rate for pineal cyst removal

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sucess rate for pineal cyst removal

WHAT IS THE SUCESS RATE OF BOTH REMOVAL OF A PINEAL CYST AND DRAINING THE CYST?  ALSO WHAT DO YOU ASK THE NS TO SEE THAT HE IS THE MOST QUALIFIED TO DO THE SURGERY.  ARE THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS TO TREAT THE CYST WITHOUT SURGERY?  WHAT IS THE SURVIVAL RATE BOTH SHORT TERM AND LONG TERM?
I have had both procedures done the drainage was done 3 times with no sucess and then in the end I had to have the cyst removed completly. I also had a shunt inserted to deal with Hydrochepallus that had occured from the cyst. I got 3 opinions on the last operation as I was told it was very risky. I was also told I would be out of action for a long time but I suprised everyone by getting out of hospital 4 days after the surgery and back to work 6 weeks later. My NS told me that it is only in extreamly rare cases would they remove these type of cysts but because I had no quality of life for 6 years they thought it best to try the op and thank god it was a sucsess. The only time survival rate was ever discusses with me was then I was having the major op they told me all sorts of stats relating to not waking up or being paralised or blind after surgery but none of this affected me thank god. The drainage in my opinion and it is what I always felt from my doctor was a way of avoiding the removal of the cyst at all costs as it is such a big op, I was always aware that the chances of me having to have the big op were very high and accepted this from very early on. I hope this helps!!!
How large is your pineal cyst?  What symptoms were you having?  I have a 6mm cyst and severe head pain and pressure.
I am wondering this too.  I had an MRI done to check on my Chiari and the doctor found a 11MM Pineal Cyst.  He said that we would monitor the Pineal Cyst and said I am asymtomatic with that, but now that I know the size I am a little more concerned!  I am only 26 and would like to know what to expect...
Well it was about 7mm when they discovered it but by April 08 it had grown 4 times that size and that was after having it aspirated 3 times. My case was extreamly rare as they do not usually grow that big or that quick for that matter. I guess i was just unlucky. I had a check up today and they told me it was 98% gone which is great news they said it will never be back
im a 17 year old girl who was diagnosed with a 35mm cyst3 years ago and have lived with headaches off and on. 3 years later i it has finally got to the point wher i can no longer stand the pain and so i am giving up all my sports to have the op. if i had it my way and could i would live with the pain and just life wiith the cyst just because i dont like the idea of them cutting on my brain.
Sandy please leave the address of the doctor who performed the operation ...
I have a pineal gland cyst      -- 1 cm pineal cyst.  I think doctors believe if they tell me it's okay that i'll think it is okay.  I recently had a doctor tell me I was born with it, but my headaches and pain didn't start until my mid-20s.
My level of being comfortable is not as it was, just because it is my brain, so I was considering looking for other opinion or someone else to watch it.  I don't want to be needlessly in agony.  What types of medical areas of expertise should I look at?

Thank you for your post, did you have the shunt removed after the removal of the pineal cyst.  We are being told if the shunt is put in, it is for life.

My daughter has a 1.65 cm cyst, we have been to so many, many doctors, including Mayo Clinic, all not wanting to do the surgery, she has been out of work for several months.

Glad you are doing well, that gives us hope, how did you finally get them to operate, did you have to another area of the country??

SedonaMom