Neurology Community
sudden, short, stabbing pain on top of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

For about 12 hours now I have been experiencing short, sudden, stabbing pain on the top right of my head near the soft spot.  It lasts less than a second.  The area where I have this pain is also sensitive to touch.  Additionally, I have an earache in my right ear.  I have strep and I have been taking amoxicillin for 5 days.  I have experienced these "ice pick" headaches before but not usually lasting 12 hours.  When I swallow, the pain in my right ear is more acute and it is sometimes followed by the stabbing pain in my head.  Other times the stab comes out of nowhere.
Avatar dr m tn
The sudden sharp stabbing pains on top right side of the head may be caused by a Nerve compression in the neck, Migraines, Occipital neuralgia, or more seriously due to a Brain tumour. If you feel the symptoms are different from a typical ‘ice- pick headache‘,  please go for a CT scan or MRI of the head and consult a neurologist for a complete neurological evaluation, diagnosis and treatment. The pain in the ear while swallowing may be caused by Strep. Throat or due to nerve irritation. Please consult an ENT surgeon for the throat examination and symptomatic treatment. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!