Neurology Community
sudden brief memory loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sudden brief memory loss

Over the past year and a half my 68 year of mother has experienced at least 5 episodes of sudden memory loss.  She will be going about her usual routine and then suddenly "blackout".  The latest episode was witnessed by her co-workers.  She was in the middle of waiting on a customer.  She returned to the counter to finish with him when she began to just stare at him, she was holding  her lips together and making a  "mum mum mum" sound.  She did not fall and was lead back to her desk.  She remembers every detail about what she was doing for the customer before this happened and regained her memory within 5 minutes or less.  Her co-workers reported that she "felt stiff" but she had no weakness or jerking of her arms or legs.  911 was called and she was taken to the ER and nothing was found.  She was sent home and several hours later she called her husband and during the conversation she stated "I feel funny"  then the phone went dead.  He called her back, within 2 minutes of her calling him, she asked "why are you calling me?".  Since the first episode of this she has had head CT's and MRI's, echocardiogram, carotid ultrasound, EKG's, EEG's , labs ..., just everything possible checked.  She was put on coumadin several months ago because the echo showed a "possible" PFO and because the first MRI she had done showed an old stroke and she also had a DVT when she was in her 20's and a post-op PE in her 50's.  Each time she has had one of these episodes it is pretty much the same symptoms.  What are we missing?