Neurology Community
sudden onset of vertigo, dizziness, headache, ear pain, tinnitus, sligh...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sudden onset of vertigo, dizziness, headache, ear pain, tinnitus, slight blurred/double vision

I am in distress for one of my children.

Thomas is 16 yrs. old and otherwise healthy as far as I know.
(6ft, 150 lbs., bright and athletic. A nice kid.) Thomas had the flu in January. Then he had something else mid-February with tinnitus, fever, ears popping, eyes runny, sinus pressure,
joints achy, etc.
In March he flew to Italy from Canada on a school-based tour; back March 21.
Easter Monday, April 9th:
Sudden onset of constant dizziness (he has to walk along walls or hold on to a shoulder for balance), intermitent vertigo independent of movement lasting from a minute to an hour at a time, moderate steady pain in both ears, tinnitus in both ears (buzzing), no discharge or redness evident. Eyes: prescription checked - unchanged. Vision somewhat blurred farther, not nearer. Slight double vision farther. Can read. Hurts to read. Letters have a weird 3D effect.
Headache began on third day: constant, in front. Not throbbing. Pain moderate. A migraine sufferer.
THis is not the same. No throbbing. No aura.

So. Emergency room CT scan results Friday morning - ok.
MRI results Wednesday 18th of April - ok. Evoked potentials for ears and eyes Friday April 20th - ok. Waiting for results of blood and CSF taken Friday April 18th, too.
NO ENT brought in yet and it is now the 25th of April. Waiting for ENG to be ordered. No other tests done to date.
No antibiotics tried, no antivirals tried, no steroids. Any thoughts would be most welcome. Son growing weary now with lumbar puncture headache on top of other headache, tinnitus, ear pain, etc.
Other: He finds he gets a bad reaction with elevator rides and also to sudden loud noise (weird 'flinch' feeling in ears.) I thank you in advance for any thoughts,
Diane
Has this been resolved for your son yet?  I am a 20 yr old female with the same symptoms but no diagnosis yet--have been suffering for over 2 months.  MRI was fine, and I will meet with another neurologist next week to go from there.  Any tips are much appreciated.
Has anybody else experienced these symptoms?
Your son has tinnitus, fever, ears popping, and sinus pressure, with sudden onset of constant dizziness and intermittent vertigo with features of headache and blurring of vision suggest either there is a peripheral lesion in labyrinth or eighth nerve or some central CNS lesion likes a tumor which is affecting the eighth nerve.
Does he have the symptom on one side or both sides?
I think he has peripheral lesion involving the ear canal.
I think either it can be Acute bilateral/ unilateral labyrinthine dysfunction is usually due to drugs (amino glycoside antibiotics) or alcohol or due to trauma or infection.
Recurrent labyrinthine dysfunction with signs of cochlear disease is usually due to Me´nie`re’s disease (recurrent vertigo accompanied by tinnitus and deafness).
I think an urgent reference to an ENT surgeon is required.
He has supposed to be on antibiotics for whatever help they give and other anti-histaminic drugs to decrease the incidence of vertigo.
Keep me informed.
Bye.
I too have had a sudden onset of a headache that never went away. It's been over two months. Normal MRI, CT scan.......getting a spinal tap tomorrow. Plz e-mail me. ***@****.        I'm a 21 year old female.
hi,
i have suffered from constant headaches, daily. Dizzy, ear pain, neck pain, light bothersom, loud noises, certain smells were and are a big problem. Been thru MRI after MRI. CT Scan after CT Scan. Injection after Injection. Doctor after Doctor, Specialist after Specialist.  Addicted to pain mediction (medication), and pretty much supporting the pharmacy's payroll for the last 2 years. Have fallen deeper and deeper in debt. Finally, was told about a Headache clinic in Chicago, Ill. I went and seen one of the doctors there and it was decided that i needed to be admitted to the clinic's headache unit in the hospital. I needed to be detoxed, and then more tests, then a new regimin of meds and diet. The headaches are still there, daily, but they are not as bad as they were and iam able to make it to work more than 2-3 days a week. In the meantime, after lots of guessing and passing me back and forth, sedated, medicated, and almost lost my job, iam pretty much in debt up to my ears and affraid iam gonna loose everything and my family and i will not have a anything. And who knows, the cost of the meds to take just to keep the headaches toned down, we probabally wont be able to keep getting them. Even though the headaches are not completely gone, if i would have known about this clinic at the begining, i dont think we would be in the shape we are in. And to get any help is like trying to pull your own teeth. So, my suggestion to all, try the Diamond Headache Clinic in Chicago, Illinois. This might save some stress, and money in the long run. I wish i would have known about this clinic along time ago!!!  

There is hope!!
I have been experiencing ear blocking very randomly over the last 2 years. I also suffer from Gastritis, being h.pylori. Hence for a very long time i ignored it thinking that the ear blocking was related. Only recently was i told that there was no connection between the two. I went to an ENT and did a Sinus and hearing test but nothing came out of it. The blocking happens very ramdomly and leaves my throat feeling dry and my head starts aching. Doctors are not yet able to figure out the problem. The only relief i get is when i bend my head down and it releases the ear block. I also sometimes feel dizzy... Any help??
I am a 38 year old woman.  Same symptoms.  It started about 1 1/2 years ago.  I started feeling disoriented, lethargic, headaches, dizzy.  My doctor found that I was dehydrated, gave me fluids, pain pills for headache and pills for dizziness.  Today, I know when it is coming on.  I can’t' ride elevators, take long rides in cars.  My ears ache sometimes, ringing in them also, blurred vision.  I have had a CT scan, MRI, been to the ENT.  Nothing!!!  I try to pin point when I have an onset, but the only thing that I can link it to is stress.  Am I crazy?
While my symptoms aren't as severe as some mentioned here, I have the tinnitus to such an extreme I might as well be having a migraine.  It's beyond "ringing", to more like ice picks.  It also is accompanied by lethargy and "fuzziheadednes".  Anyway, I have a good idea what is causing mine - I shampooed my couch.  Symptoms started just after that.  Symptoms are also getting worse.  Used to be just sitting on the couch brought on screaming ear pain.  Now, just being in the same room does it.  Reaction is severe enough that anything that has touched the couch and become "contaminated" makes my ears ring.  

The thing is, we (my mom and I, it's her shampooer I borrow regularly) are pretty sure I've used this shampoo before.  So why is it bothering me now to such an extreme?  I tried rinsing the couch, shampooing it with no soap, but that didn't make any difference, and the shampooer STANK afterwards.  Could it be there was a mold in the couch that I stirred up?  All I know is the couch has got to go, but it's my only couch and I don't have any money for another one.  I'm debating taking it outside and hosing it down.  But it's a huge couch and barely fit through the front door.  I'm by myself, so getting it back outside won't be easy, especially in my weakened condition.  

Anyways, my point is, I know my symptoms are "allergic" in nature, whether it's the soap or something that I stirred up by washing the couch.  Went to the Dr, did the antibiotics, was mystified until I made the couch/shampoo connection.  Just wanted those that are at wits end to give "allergies" (especially chemical ones) a serious thought.  They manifest themselves in many more ways than just runny noses and watery eyes and often doctors overlook that.  (not "exciting enough" I guess)
does he have extreme fatigue? tingling in hands and or feet? I also have the same symptoms which were worse before i was diagnosed i had the ringing in ears still do i think it is a life long effect due to nerve damage also i have the flicking in my left ear but only when im laying on  my right ear,, it is the remnants of un diagnosed pernicious anemia for several  years. vit b12 def..i would have it checked cant hurt..
I was watching a TV documentary of sorts called Mystery Diagnosis and one of the doctors finally asked the patient if there was mould growing in her house.  It turned out that there was and the patient began to improve immediately after moving out of the house.  I'm not suggesting that mould is the cause in your son's case but it may be worth looking into because, apparently, mould can cause all kinds of health problems.
Hello!  I didn't know there were any responses...sorry for not responding sooner.

My son got better without medical help or definitive medical diagnosis over the course of three or four months.  Best diagnostic guess:
post-infectious cerebellitis. Interestingly, his white count was stubbornly low.  Blood tests for iron and lead and B12: normal.  Slight differentiation between ears on rotary chair test.  Best test was to stand on a pillow with eyes closed and then tilt head back, arms in front - dramatic result - fell right over right away.

Seems to still be a little off a year later - energy not as great as I think it should be.  Teenager that eats great, vitamins, works out - tires out pretty easy. Still has the slightest wobble at the waist (balance) touches walls and counters - denies any residual effect.  Still, lucky that he is a lot better and hope he stays that way.

Feel for those who suffer lingering health problems and my heart goes out to those of you in that situation. Hope you get better soon.

Some websites:
cerebellitis (dense med-speak):
http://www.uwo.ca/cns/resident/pocketbook/disorders/infection/cerebellitis.htm

dizziness and balance:
http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/rehab.html

vestibular:

http://hopkinsneuro.org/vestibular/diseases_and_conditions.cfm

There was another really good website out there but could not locate today.
If I do, will post.  Regards to all,

Diane

Hello Dear Friend,

It started 3 weeks back when I had severe cold. I had a bit of throat infection & headache. The cold continued for a week to 10 days and after that my ear started blocking out occasionally. One morning when I woke up suddenly I got dizziness & my vision got blurred. Its a week now I can feel heaviness near both of my ear. Think WAX might have got deposited. I am using SOLIWAX drops for ears for last 3 days. But I still feel dousiness & blurred vision. After an hour of concentration infront of computer my eye lids become heavy & I start getting headache mainly on the forehead & it disappears after a while. The process keeps repeating... I feel a bit week & tired... My dear friends please help me if u r familiar with this problem of mine... Thanks for ur time !

~ Smiles Naveen

I've had a recent onset of severe vertigo.  It last for a few seconds when I move or change directions.  This happens all the time throughout the day.  I'd say 50 or more times.  Sometimes my legs feel like buckling and I feel like I am going to fall from being so dizzy.  I have a history of ulnar neuropathy and I have constant ringing in my ears. If anyone has any idea what this could be please let me know.  
Hello.  I was on a long weekend holiday that went well until the day we were to drive home.  After breakfast, we got in the car and started out. All of a sudden I felt car sick. We pulled over so I could get out of the car. After a few minutes I got back in and proceeded until I needed to stop again. At that point I took the wheel thinking it would help.  It didn't help so we stopped again. By the way, each time we stopped I had a bout of diarrhea and the feeling that I needed to vomit, but didn't.

I finally wrapped a scarf around my head blacking out the daylight and put my head down.  

I'm still experiencing tinnitus, lightheadedness, mild headaches, slight vertigo and I'm sleepy (lethargic) during the day.  I got home from work last night and my neightbor, a retired chiropractor, said it was a pinched nerve probably from sleeping on too soft a mattress, doing a lot of walking (more than usual) and maybe not getting the kind of sleep I need.  

She made an appointment with a chiropractor to get an adjustment.  She said I might need to do this a few times before I get to feeling normal again.  I really hope it works.
I have vertigo from time to time - the first time, for 7 months (1997) and it was constant - normal blood pressure. I don't know how long ago the tinnitist started. I don't notice it except when all is quiet - y'know, when it's time to sleep. I often wake up with a headache. I was told 10 years ago that I had decreased hearing in my right ear. I'm convinced it's an ear problem. I am afraid of the health-care system and drugs and haven't done anything specifically for the problem. For me, I'm convinced the problem is ear and/or sinus. // Jean Clelland-Morin
Occasionally I clean my ears with a cotton-tipped swab (yes, this is a no-no but all symtoms (symptoms) started before I ever did this). I notice 2 things, only in my right ear but not the left, while doing this 1) there is a partial boney-blockage and 2) it causes a tcikle that makes me cough. // Jean
I'm happy to hear your son is doing better.  I know you said his MRI was normal, but if you have the reports, please check to see if they read low lying cerebellum.  This would be Chiari Malformation.  If your son has a history of migraines and with these symptoms especially after flying, it wouldn't hurt to check.  I have many of these symptoms and was diagnosed with Chiari Malformation.  

I pray your son continues to a full recovery!  
These types of symptoms sounds like Lyme disease. Take a good look at the documentary called "under our skin"