Neurology Expert Forum
sudden pounding in the left side and right side of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Monday out of the blue, I started to have a pounding pain above my ear on the left side. Soon it started on the right side about the same place, then on the right towards the back of my head closest to the neck. It was not constant, it was just like a dagger every so often. I then got cold chills and started to ache all over. I was at work and the pain became almost unbearable. I had taken tylenol, and nothing happened. So I took some more, and then more. By 5 pm I had taken 5 of them since about 1:00 pm. When I was finally able to go home, I took a pain pill, and this relieved somewhat. I had a slight temperature, and the chills had gone. I had some soup, and fell asleep for awhile. I woke up about 2 hours later, and was up most of the night. The pain was not bad. Now today it is 1:25 pm and the pounding pain is back again.......same places. And getting worse by the minute. Is this the flu? Or what?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Headache associated with systemic symptoms such as fever and chills can be part of a general viral illness. Severe headache associated with viral symptoms can occur with influenza, and if there is fever with headache that is persistent, evaluation for influenza is indicated; this can be diagnosed with nasal swab. Infections of the tissue that surrounds the brain, meningitis, leads to headache and stiff neck, associated sometimes with other viral symptoms; bacteria cause a more serious version of meningitis. Viral meningitis is best diagnosed with a lumbar puncture (a study to analyze the fluid that bathes the brain and spine, commonly called cerebrospinal fluid or spinal fluid).

While headache is a frequent associated symptom of even the common cold, in the presence of temperature of more than 100.7 F, severe headache, stiff neck, or evidence of confusion, evaluation for more serious infections is indicated. Follow-up soon with your primary doctor/family physician is indicated.

There are several other causes of headache, but their occurrence in the setting of fever makes a viral illness or other infection the most likely. Other causes of throbbing headache include migraine, or secondary causes of headache, of which there are many.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.