Neurology Expert Forum
sudden vertigo

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sudden vertigo

I am 5 months post encephalitis.

The vertigo was one of the first symptoms I had when I first became sick with encephalitis. Have had slight dizziness since.

Two days ago, I had a sudden, violent case of vertigo.  I took antivert and stayed in bed.  I am still a bit dizzy.

I would like to know if there is some test that can determine
what is causing the dizziness.  If it's my ears(I want to disconnect THAT wire) or if it's my brain. I can not handle this much longer.

I am about to make an appointment and want to at least sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Thank you so much for your time.

• Need Help (3 replies):
    Hi everyone, My question is 'How does vertigo and bppv...[more]
  • vertigo
    I WANT TO KNOW IF MY MOTHER WHO SUFFERING FROM VERTIGO ...[more]
  • Dizziness and Vertigo in MS (3 replies):
    I have been having various body symptoms with a final di...[more]
  • Vertigo (2 replies):
    Hello, I have had some sort of issue with vertigo for ov...[more]
  • Vertigo (13 replies):
    Can you try and explain this vertigo (severe dizziness) ...[more]
Dear Lisa:

It is difficult to tell you a specific answer.  Vertigo can arise from a multitude of processes.  It can arise from an inner ear electrolyte imbalance, viral infection of the inner ear, stoke, verterbral-basilar insufficiency, tumor, waxy ear canals, etc.  There are several tests that a neurologist can do to begin to elucidate the possible processess.  The test the neurologist will likely do is called the Hillpike-Dix test and this is where he/she will quickly take you from a sitting position to a lying down position while turning your head either right or left.  By noting how your eyes react to this, he/she will be able to tell if the vertigo is from a peripheral (outside the brain) or central (inside the brain) cause, with the inner ear located outside the central brain.  This together with the clinical history and exam, the diagosis will be pretty much narrowed to a select group of choices.

You will want to tell him/her if you hear a nose together with the vertigo, have associated nausea, headache, falling, vertigo increases with any movement, etc.

Sorry, I can't help you more.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Does anyone have any suggestins about when I can possibly post? I have been trying for weeks. thank you.
try posting about 9:10 am eastern time.  You should get in.
I think certain medications should also be considered. I suffered from Vertigo for some time. I was taking Voltaren to treat headaches. Then a neurologist changed my medication for about 2 weeks. Immediately after returning to the Voltaren I had another attack and I then realized that in the 2 weeks while I was on another medication I never had an attack. I quit taken the Voltaren and have not had another episode since.
A related discussion, sudden vertigo and antibiotics was started.