Neurology Community
suffering from cramps and twitches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

suffering from cramps and twitches

I have struggled over the last year with fasiculations and now cramps. I had a normal emg and 3 nerve conduction stidies as well as mri and multiple blood tests. All test came back fine. I was on Klonopin, requip and  ambien at various times and still could not sleep and had no relief. I find myself with lots of cramps currently and have fasiculations constantly all over my body. I was seen by UCSF neuro center and was told I am healthy and fine. The doctor I saw said "I know what you have, I do not know what causes it, there is no name for it and there is no medication, but it does not kill you." in short he saud this is why we call it practicing medicine. My question is has anyone else been given this type of a diagnosis? I have been to accupucture and was told to go to a nuerologist. For over a year now I have gotten no relief and it is getting very old! I cramp when I sleep and when I walk or stand for long periods I find that I get tired and start to drag my legs as they feel tired and heavy.
The Dr. you were seeing said WHAT!!   What kind of a DR. is that! You need a second or third or however many opinions it takes. You know when you  don't feel right so stick to your guns!!!  
This was the 8th opinion I recieved the others all kept saying I do not know what this is and referred me onto others. My nuerologist refered me to UCSF were I saw this Dr. who teaches at the neuro center. As far as everything I have read UCSF is rated 6th in US for Nuerology and is the highest rated in Cali. His report to my Neuro states "When I examined the 30 year old male on sept 18, he complains of wide spred muscle twitching and occasional cramps. In march he began to have cramps in the right thenar muscle, causing opposition and adduction of the thumb. This was associated sometimes with twitching of the thenar muscle. The cramps were uncomfortable and lasted between a few seconds up to 20 minutes. Gradually he began to have multifocal muscle twitching, which seemed to be all over his body except his face. He has not had any muscle weakness. The emg and nerve conduction tests were reportedly normal. Your neurological exam on July 5 was also normal. The patient is in good health. My examination showed no neurological abnormalities. I did not observe any twitching and no cramps were elicited during strength tests. I think we are dealing with a simple case of benign fasciculations, with occasional cramps. There is no need for medication for the cramps. Unfortunately there is no medication known to suppress fasciculations."
As you can see I have had lots of tests and still no real clear answer. My hope with this forum is that someone else might have been given a similar diagnosis and maybe found something that has worked.
Thankyou.
I have been told this about magnesium. I have taken for 6 months now a magnesium supplement even though my magnesium levels were fine in my blood work. I even take homeapthy salts for cramping. As of this point the mag. has not made any change. Thankyou for your advice.
Ted,
One problem that can cause muscle twitching and cramping is low magnesium within the cells.

Magnesium can be given by intravenous infusion and by intermuscular injection.
If your doctors won't do this, you can take oral supplements, 400 mg to 800 mg daily.  
You can eat several ounces of almonds daily, as they are high in mag.
Soaking in Epsom salts in warm bathwater for 20 minutes will help too, as the magnesium will be absorbed through the skin.

Hope this helps.
Carol

Ted,
You said, "...my magnesium levels were fine in my blood work."
From what I've read, the usual blood test for magnesium does not measure the mag level within the body's cells, just within the bloodstream.

The test for magnesium levels within the cells involves scraping some cells from the mouth.

You said, "I have taken for 6 months now a magnesium supplement..."
Oral magnesium is not absorbed very well by the intestines.
Magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed, but it is often used because it is cheap.
There are several forms that are more easily absorbed, including glycinate and citrate.
You need to look closely at the list of ingredients for this.

Here are two of the magnesium supplements that I've used.
Source Naturals, Ultra-Mag
http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=SNS-00803
Contains: Magnesium (as magnesium citrate, taurinate, glycinate, and succinate)

Doctor's Best, High Absorption Magnesium
http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=DRB-00025
Magnesium (as magnesium glycinate/lysinate chelate)

It is often advised to take magnesium "to bowel tolerance."
This means you'll have loose stools if you take too much.
The recommendations I've seen were for 400 mg to 800 mg daily.
Some people have reported loose stools from intravenous magnesium and from soaking in Epsom salts (magnesium chloride.)

Carol