Neurology Community
surgical anxiety

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

surgical anxiety

Surgery is scheduled for the 7th of March. I am experiencing high levels of anxiety. I am unable to sleep. Today makes 3 days with a total of 9 hours sleep. Should I bring this to the attention of my physicians? Will this affect my surgery and or recovery?
I should add that I do not regularly experience anxiety. Also I have just recently had a tooth extracted and ended up with a dry socket. my pain meds have been switched from percocet to tylenol 3. Perhaps this could also have something to do with the lack of sleep. Please help, I need to sleep
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. I understand your concerns especially since you are 3 days away from surgery. Tylenol 3 is a combination of acetaminophen, codeine and caffeine. Usually codeine like other opioids and derivative is associated with dizziness, unlike in your case where sleep is missing. Possibly effect of caffeine or due to excessive stress prior to surgery. This may increase the anesthetic requirements during surgery. You could visit the hospital tomorrow and anti anxiety, medicines could be prescribed which can allay anxiety preoperatively. Try to take it easy and all the best. Take care.