Neurology Expert Forum
sympathetic nerve

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sympathetic nerve

In oct. of 99 i had ets surgery done for facial blushing. My t2 , t3 were cut and caurterized . Suffering severe side effects, loss of thermoregulation , cant sweat from arms, head, nipple line up , fatigue and other problems. In nov. of 2000 i had a sural nerve graft done . The Dr. grafted t4 to t1 on both sides. No improvement. Now another Dr. is doing an intercostal nerve graft to reverse side effects . He claims his procedure will bring back proper function of the hypothalumus relieving the reflex sweating and bringing back thermoregulation of the body. He does not ensure that sweating will return to upper body. Will this intercostal graft work or since my t2, t3 were destoyed is there no hope ?
Sorry to hear about the less-than-desired outcome of your previous surgeries. Unfortunately, those are known complications of ETS that have been reported in the literature. Not sure I can say that there is absolutely "no hope", but I would be very, very cautious about undergoing yet another procedure that may not be helpful and could possibly bring new unwanted side effects. I understand and completely agree with your hesitation in jumping into another surgery even though your symptoms are severe and certainly affecting your life. Think about getting a second opinion first. Strongly consider seeing a neurosurgeon who specializes in peripheral nerve surgeries at a major academic center for further evaluation.  Dr. Boulis here at the clinic is an excellent peripheral nerve surgeon if you are in the area. Good luck.
If you're considering having more surgery you may want to read this artical first.  www.mindyourpsandqs.com  Best of luck, Darlin
Darlin i could not pull up the link you posted . In short whats it about?
Thanks for your help.
Mind you P's and Q's stands for, Please ask Questions for Prime Quality Care.  Try again, it's been under construction, and read 7 steps in preventing medical errors.  Let's try to reduce the risks as we strive to better health and well-being.  Best luck to all.  Darlin