Neurology Expert Forum
sympathetic nerve surgery
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

sympathetic nerve surgery

I have heard that there is laser treatment/ surgery available on the sympathetic nerve in order to 'fuse it?' to reduce vasodilation and excessive sweating. The reason why i am interested is that i have already had surgery that removed a ganlioneuroma from a sympathetic nerve on one side of my body and I now only sweat and get flushed/vasodilate on the side that wasn't operated on, due to damage to the nerve.
  I would like to consider laser surgery on the other side to balance things up, i think that side is currently overcompensating in its temperature regulation- excessive sweating and redness on one side which is quite obvious.
  Could you please let me know what you know about this laser treatment/ surgery and if you thing it would accomplish my purpose. I am rather self conscious at the moment. What does the treatment involve and what risks and scarring is associated with it? Where is it available in Australia?
  Thank you for your previous response to my ganglioneuroma question and thank you in advance for this information. You provide a wonderful service.
  Louise
===========================================================================
Dear Louise:
The laser surgery that you mention is a video-endoscopic or thoracoscopic ablation of the T2 and T3 sympathetic ganglia using a laser. The scar is usually a short "keyhole" type scar in the armpit through which a scope is introduced into the chest cavity under general anesthesia with collapse of the lung. The laser is used to destroy the ganglia that supply the arm. The patient commonly stays overnignt in hospital. Although some risks exist, the procedure is quite safe and effective (for the treatment of palmar hyperhidrosis) in the hands of an experienced neurosurgeon.
I am sure there are surgeons in major medical centers in Australia performing the procedure.
N.B. If I recall correctly from your earlier posting, you suffer from a lack of sweating even on the FACE on the ganglioneuroma side. My impression is that the surgery is not designed to alter facial sweating, and that if the T1 ganglion is ablated in an attempt to equalize (cosmetically) your facial sweating, unacceptable side effects (Horner's syndrome - droopy eyelid with small pupil) may result.