Neurology Expert Forum
syncope or seizure?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

syncope or seizure?

Dear Dr.,
I have written to you just recently about a bunch of little crazy things going on with me. Unfortunately, something else has happened and the dr.'s are in disagreement with one another (ER dr. and primary say syncope and 2 cardios say seizure). I supposingly have NCS, but my new cardio says in his opinion the TTT was negative even though my heart rate and blood pressure dropped and I collapsed. He says I didn't faint so it's negative. Now, that I've cleared that up.  :)
I have recently been having this buzzing in my head. The 1st time it was quick and I felt like I was blacking out and falling (I was sitting down). The 2nd time it happened was the following morning and it happened several times over the period of 2 hrs, the last being more like my usual near syncope w/o buzzing). The 3rd time was a week later. I was sitting in church praying with a friend, very calm, feeling fine and then I got the buzz in my head and ear (it was stronger,louder). I briefly felt in a dream state and imagined a bee, but knew it wasn't real and yet, felt something bigger was overcoming me. I felt my arm swing and thought I ducked to almost lying down. Then I looked, embarrassed, at my friend and she was looking at me quite strangely. Here is her version: We were praying, she says I had my head down on the back of her pew (I don't think I did (?)), she heard rustling and looked up. She said I was staring straight ahead, my arms were over my head and swinging as if fighting something off. Then I looked at her and came out of it. She thought I was fooling at 1st and she said I never laid down, just sat the whole time. I went to the ER as advised by dr. and they did an ekg,tested electrolytes and ?, all was fine.
My legs and arms felt a little strange and the following day I had an electric feeling go down arms and lost coordination of fingers. Have had odd sensations in head, arms, and legs to varying degrees (numb sort of,but not actually,feel strained, feeling of being wrapped, sunburned, tingling). Right side went totally crazy from head to toe with sensations. Xrays showed cervical spondylosis with degen. spurs and dr. said radiculopathy.
Wow! Sorry so long! Anyway, what is your opinion? Any advice what to tell my new neuro. at Mondays appt.? (My primary advised me to get new cardio, too. New cardio has me redoing TTT and I am wearing an event monitor).
Thanks for taking the time to read this and giving me your opinion and help.
Dear Jan:

Sorry about your problem.  I would suggest an EEG to investigate whether this is seizure.  I am not sure what you mean by NCS, this can be no clinical signs, non-convulsive status, or some made-up abbreviation.  You might also check out whether you might have an dysautonomia (unlikely).  I hope that your neurologist finds the answer to your problem.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
neurocardiogenic syncope
My last neuro said he suspected autonomic dysfunction, but what exactly does that mean?