Neurology Expert Forum
t1-2 disc herniation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

t1-2 disc herniation
i have a t1-2 herniated disc pinching a nerve, possible thoracic outlet. It is causing burning/tingling up my neck to my ear and jaw area. I have a severe pressure senstation in the area of the bulge and when I lay down I have the burning in my neck and also in my (L)arm.  Local MD says he is not fimilar with T1-2. Saw a neurosurgeon and he has not seen a t1-2 either and does not know the symptoms.  He is planning to operate.  What are the symptoms of t1-2 herniation and how risky is surgery in this area.
Dear Mary:

I am sorry to hear about your T1/2 herniation.  I would doubt that you have TOS as your arm nor hand are involved.  I would also recommend getting another opinion as if the buldge does not compromise the cord, or there are no foramenal changes then you might not need surgery and active rehab might turn things around.  Surgery outcome depends so much on the surgeon, extent of the lesion, type of lesion etc. Without knowing the above, it is difficult or me to make any sort of recommendation. When one only has a herniation, there may be other options.  The T1/2 is abit out of the ordinary but not unheard of.  The distribution is pretty much as you describe but usually it is lower arm but not neck.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
thank you so much, i had surgery today.  He said the disc was "pretty much rotten".  Flat and marshmellow type, impinced a nerve.  The symptoms burning and tnigling in neck and arm are gone. Of course, still very sore in the scar area and upper neck with muscle tightnes. Was given pain medications and Valum for mucle relaxant. Thanks for your help. Mary