Neurology Community
temp heaviness or weakness shoulders

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

temp heaviness or weakness shoulders

I have had several episodes of temporary weakness or heaviness in both arms.  The episode doesn't last very long - perhaps a minute or so.  It's happened three times in the past 6 weeks and I remember it happening a couple of other times more than a year ago.  When these episodes ocurred I hadn't been doing any physical exertion.  The weakness and heaviness is in both arms from the shoulders to the hands and is fairly overwhelming when it happens.  It's as if I can't lift my arms or use them.  There isn't really any pain or other symptoms.  Does anyone know whether these symptoms are signifcant - should I see a doctor?  Do you know what causes this to happen?
Yes.  That has happened to me.  Intermittant weakness, with a strange sort of dizziness that leaves my upper body limp.  It happens rarely, but when it happens is as you say, overwhelming.  I am a healthy, physically active 58 year old woman.
I've had this happen to me twice within the last two weeks.  My description is very similar:  a sudden overwhelming weakness in my arms, accompanied with an oddness similar to what one feels just prior to being dizzy. The weakness is profound and I'm unable to raise my arms and when I try, my hands are shaky and I'm unable to do anything.  Most of the weakness eventually disappears but I'm left with a tiredness in my arms, more noticeable in my triceps and lateral biceps area.  There is no pain.  Weird, huh!