Neurology Expert Forum
temperary vision as if looking through water

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Today I came home from work and was standing talking to a neighbor when I started to get a wavy water like vision out the side of my left eye. I only had the wavy water like vision in part of my vision in my left eye, it was as if the center of my vision was fine and that was circled by the wavy vision, I could see color and light but it was like I was under water looking up and someone was making the water ripple but only an outer circle. I had no pain but it was uncomfortable like something was on my eye and I needed to rinse it out. It lasted for about 30 minute. It did make me a little uneasy and my husband thought it was a stroke but I didn't. I have suffered from migraines most of my  adult like but those are horrible and keep me in bed with my covers over me with no sound or light to aggravate it. I had no pain. It happened about 5 and a half hours ago and the only thing I have now is a heaviness in my head and my left eye feels funny.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

You can get the aura of a migraine without a headache. This is termed acephalgic migraine. It most often occurs in people with a past history of migraines with aura but can occur “out of the blue”. If you have a history of prior visual disturbances with a headache (i.e., migraine with aura), then it is likely the same without the headache. Also, if it includes both eyes and moves slowly, it is more reassuring to be a form of a migraine. However, if you have never had an aura before, you should be evaluated for possible ischemia. This would include neuroimaging (typically an MRI of the brain) and other evaluations looking at the vessels and heart.

I suggest you follow up with your primary care physician to discuss.
Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.