Neurology Community
temporary involutary twitching and facial paralysis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi I am 23 years old and have seen a neurologist about this issue but nothing was ever decided as far as what the cause might be.  The main symptoms are that i loose most of my voluntary motor controls and my mouth opens up
and I can't close it nor can anyone else.  If someone tries to close it my head will tilt back until they stop.  If they try to put their hand on the top of my head and close my mouth they still can't close it because my jaw won't let them.  also I can barely control my arm movement and leg movement.  My hands twitch like they are rolling a pill between my index finger and thumb. I can not talk much throughout this and when I do I talk very slowly and sound like I am mentally handicapped. I don't know why but it also feels like to me like my heart rate decreases dramatically and that my breathing slows down dramatically as well. I usually can "feel" when this is going to happen but I can't stop it or make it end. I have figured out that I can control my eyes however I want but that is about the only thing I have complete control of.  I am aware of everything that is going on around me and once I snap out of it I can tell you exactly what was said or done.  This occurs randomly however the only time that it happens consistently is when I drink or smoke (I know its not good for me)  however like i said it does happen at other time when I am not doing either.  When I am not drinking or smoking it is very mild and somewhat controllable  when i do drink or smoke it is very pronounced and completely uncontrollable.  The levels of alcohol or nicotine do not have much affect on how sudden it happens only on how pronounced it is and how long it lasts. Sometimes it will occur within the first drink or smoke of the night while other nights it happens after several drinks.  These episodes are temporary and usually last from 20 seconds up to about 5 minutes depending on the severity of the episode. Any and all guidance would greatly be appreciated.  
Hi, I know it has been near on 4years since you posted this but I am VERY interested to find out if you ever got an answer as to why this was happening to you? the reason why im so interested is that it happens to me!!....like you said when having an alcoholic drink and smoking...I do know the times ive been out and not had a cigarette (due to being around non smokers) it doesn't happen but as soon as I would get home and have one it comes on straight away and yes,like you've said I have no control over it what so ever. I have been too scared/embarrassed to go to my doctor about it so that's why I am so keen to hear if you have had any further insight or explanations as to what it could be?just for your info my friends have described it as if I'm just about to have an epileptic fit but of course that doesn't happen.
So look forward to hearing from you.