Neurology Community
thinning of the lining of the cortex

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

thinning of the lining of the cortex

My Doctor did a brain scan and it indicated that I have a thinning of the lining of  the cortex.  He went onto explain that this will make me a candidate for Alzheimers which absolutely scared me to death.  Although it has not started yet (I am 56), and I consider myself bright and alert, what can I do to forestall this from happening?  I have had a very, very stressful life for 20 years (verbal abuse from my spouse) could this have made this condition?  Also, he said I would not one day wakeup and have it unless I were in a brain injury accident.  Do you agree with this.  I will terminate my marriage if necessary to  keep this from thinning more.  I have started a good exercise program recently. As you can see I am concerned, can you give me answers.  Thank You, cindy
my mother is 80 years old. 5 years ago she receive a pacemaker and she was prescribed warfarin (blood thinner) to prevent strokes. her doctor had much difficulty controlling the dosage and very often she had bruises and lost several of her nails. after 6 months she began having allucinations..a brain scan indicated thinning of the brain lining. given her age she was diagnosed with alzeheimer and she began a regiment of  meds ,she kept getting worse and last year we deicided to hire a full time care giver....4  months ago she switched to pradax in place of warfarin. The family doctor prescribed 110 mg tablet per day..over the past few months she has made excellent progress.  several weeks ago her alzeheimer specialist doubled her dosage..and my mother is slowly getting worse. I have 2 questions:
1) has anyone else experienced over dosage of blood thinners ( warfarin or bradax)  with brain lining thinning and the onset of dementia symptoms?
2) how can i convince my mother's specialist to reduce the bradax dosage...his main cocern is lawsuits and mi e is my mother's welfare...