Neurology Community
thoracic ruptured disc T8-T9

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

thoracic ruptured disc T8-T9

I have a large herniated disc at T8-T9.  It is slightly on the left side. It is causing me extereme pain.  I have tried many other methods of relief, aside from surgery.  I have had this for a long time, but it feels like it is getting worse.  Is it likely that I could become paralyzed if I ignore this?  It is compressing my spinal cord some, according to recent MRI.  I also have degenerative disc disease, and the discs around this have no signal from MRI.  I have arthritis in most of my spine.   I had 2 surgeries for a large rupture at L4-L5 this past year.  I want surgery, but no one seems to want to do thoracic surgery around here.  Is there anyone in Indiana or IL that does mimimally invasive surgery on the thoracic spine?   Thanks!   CuriousHound

This discussion is related to cervical and thoracic herniations at 18.
seen a neurosergeon after 19 months of initial injury they are finally going to perform surgery, but there are no guarantees i will be better, they are only doing the surgery because this is very rare to have a herniated disc in this spot so it will be a challenge for him. If i don't have surgery eventually i will become paralyzed so i am going for it, i feel for anyone going through this, hang in there because there is help out there but a long road too recovery. good luck
I CAN'T believe I am reading about other people going through this, too!  I just spent 4 weeks in hospitals (including ICU) & acute rehab, to learn how to walk again & regained bladder control.  I have a herniated thoracic disc (T-8, T-9) & am using a combo of cane, walker & wheelchair to get around.  I am in Indiana & have seen top neurosurgeon at a prestigious hospital.. ALL the neurosurgeons I've seen are scared to operate, even though my spinal cord is compressed 10%.  I'd love to hear from you, more about what you are experiencing-- boy, what a challenging time!
HI there- I was wondering if a dr. has mentioned to you the possibility of you becoming paralyzed if you don't have surgery?  Just curious, as we are nervous that any accident may compress my cord further.  Any help would be appreciated-- thanks!
Like I said before I have T8-T9 large thoracic herniated disc on the right side of my spine. It is going on 22 months and still no surgery I am taking 5 endocets every 4 hours it seems to be the best pill for me. I also have a c7 herniated disc pinching the nerve as well and have to see the neurosergeon on jan. 11 about surgery for that as well. this is very hard on me mentally, physically, I gaine a bunch of weight since i've been off I guess they will do both surgeries at once so I don't know waht the outcome will be, I just hope I can walk after wards, I don't know if I'll be able to work again but i'll have to wait and see. good luck
yours truly crabbyj
I have had surgery on C4-C6 and this was my best surgery 3 yrs after I had a head-on collision and died 3 times before getting life flighted to hospital. When I woke up from surgery had full feeling in my hands and fingers. I am not sure about your T8-T9 situation, just now finding out that my T9 has spurs and possible bone fragments or calcification from an x-ray, have not had MRI yet. Have had so many surgeries, I thought this pain was due to having a heart attack, because of the chest pain and can't breathe very well. But the cervical surgery is a breeze, much better than hernia surgery, lower spine surgery and hip surgery.
my t8-t9 for ten years,then i was in a car acciden it made it worst,i have done all the test and still in alot of pain,they really don't want to do the surgery,am scare myself,i have grandbabies i take care of,i told the doctor it messing with my liftside and i have weeknes in my lift leg,now my right side is starting to do the same and am sweating alot and can't stop.i tell my self that i have to do this for my grandkids.i believe i will walk again and i know it will take time,
Did the doctor say you wiil lose your feeling in your legs if you don't have surgery,and how will the dorctor do the surgery?
Hi there I am also new to this. I have been in pain for 3 years with pain in my bum and right leg thought it was sciatica. but its carried on. my bottom of my legs feel heavy all the time and iv have sciatica pain all on the right side along with pain in my right side. I have had Mri  scan and I also have a herniated disk but it is calcified lesion pressing on my spinal code  t9 level. he does not want to operate at this moment in time because I can still get around. but I am starting to get upper back pain on the left hand side. plus I get like sharp pain across my left breast to sharp to breath it last a few minutes then it goes. I am not sure if it is related to the t9 level. any advise would be great, thanks sue
I have compaction of T9 - T12 since I was 14  Now T9/T8 disc has ruptured and it is hard to breath.  Also I have RA & degenerative disc.  L4/L5 ruptured in 2009 lived 2 months in terrible pain, was not able to walk.  Had 2 different doctors tell me that they would not operate due to my size, and that I would have to live like this the rest of my life. I was 43 yrs. I did research & found Dr. at Col Univ Med Cnt he did the surgery to repair the damage (disc blow in to my spine cord) during surgery the Dura (covering around spine cord) tore but he was able to repair.  After surgery I they put me on a morphine drip but I never needed it. At 1 point they thought the machine was broken.  I lived for 4 yrs with very little pain and this past Jan I regained feeling back in my right toe. Then this past Aug L5/S1 ruptured & the pain is back.  I am unable to sit without losing feeling & function in the right leg.  Today I will get a injection hopefully it will help.  The meaning to my story is never give up do some research & u can find the help.  I recommend u try your states university hospital they have lots of good doctors.  My DR is Vika Petal ***.  A women from Sweden came here because he was so good.