Neurology Community
throbbing arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

throbbing arm pain

I am a 39 year old male i very good health.About one week ago i started having pain in both biceps which carries down both arms to forearms.the pain feels like being punched but in certain movements or extending my arms straight kinda feels like something is stretching along my arm to base of thumb.If i bend my arms pain is strongest in fold of arm and if i rest arm on elbow with hand in air fingers get numb.Pain has been there constant and doesn't leave even with vicadon pain pills.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Type of pain you are describing is usually due to neuritis because of compression of nerve proximal to site of pain.
"Entrapment neuropathy (neuralgia, neuritis, pinched or trapped nerve) is caused by physical compression or irritation of major nerve trunks and peripheral nerves, producing distant nerve pain symptoms. Certain sites in the body are more likely to produce nerve entrapment because of anatomical vulnerability".Reference:http://www.painclinic.org/nervepain-entrapmentneuropathy.htm

These sites include neck,shoulder,elbow and wrist.You may have either supraspinatus neuritis or ulnar neuritis.In supraspinatus neuritis pain often radiates to the C5 and C6 dermatomes i.e. to the point of the shoulder and down to the outside aspect of the forearm.In ulnar neuritis Pain and tingling in the elbow and down the inside of the forearm to the little finger and half the ring finger.Causes may be trauma,arthritis,overuse of part.Treatment depends on cause and includes rest,nerve blocks or surgery.
Regards,
i had that...tingling, dull pain, shooting pain, numbness, and weakness.  Ended up getting MRI.  One of my discs were compressing my spinal cord.  At a point was taking 2 percs and 2 mucle relaxers...did not kick the pain. Lost feeling in two fingers.  Came back couple months after surgery though. See a doctor.