thumb weakness
I've had both thumb weakness that comes and goes for a few years. It really got bad after pouring a bottle of wine, where my thumb went weak, numb and tingled and i almost dropped the bottle. i've never had pain per se, it's just uncomfortable, just like when your arm goes asleep. i saw an ortho doc who got an emg which showed bilateral carpal tunnel. he even got a cervical spine MRI b/c it seemed to occur in both hands at the same time. it just showed C5/6/7 mild herniation, but no encroachment onto any nerves. A neurosurgeon and my ortho doc feels that herniation is not the problem. I had a carpal tunnel release my rt wrist in 3/2008, but my symptoms returned to the rt hand after a few months. i thought it was at least a little improved, but now the symptoms are back to where they started 1 1/2 yrs later. I had 2 more repeat EMGs which showed no carpal tunnel, even on the lt wrist where it was positive before and i haven't fixed the lt yet. my ortho doc sent me to a hand surgeon who felt he should explore my left wrist and see if it could be another problem. He did this May 28, 2009. He did the release and when he explored the area, he found an anomolous  median nerve which had a fibrous sheath over it that may have been compressing it, so he cut that sheath also. I was doing fine until this week when my weakness/tingling/numbness came back 3x so far. each time i was doing something ie/ pushing the remote and pushing a small button on my watch. he had talked about repeating my rt wrist to ck for that same problem, but now i'm worried that there is something else going on. I'm in a profession that i need both of my hands. The time off of work is killing me. i can't keep doing this. Any suggestions?
I have been experiencing cramp over the past year, it has been somewhat relieved by magnesium. Somewhat but my hands and legs are the brunt of this. My chest was cramping but not so much, it's quite scary when that happens. I am 67. I have been very active all my life and use a computer as well as pen to write, I photograph and so I am always using my hands, as now :) However all of a sudden my right hand has lost it's strength and I cannot do up a simple button or hold a pen. It is usual in the mornings and then it comes back to normal.
hi..i had that problem also..sometimes i can't write or use the nail cutter. If I force to push using my thumb, i felt like i'm going to faint....