Neurology Expert Forum
thumping in ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

thumping in ear

i have a thumping noise like a heart beat in my left ear for four days now, really anoying. i had a brain anuerysum in 2003 so i get paranoid about anything concerning my head, what could cause this problem.
You may be describing what is termed pulsatile tinnitus - just a descriptive term for a pulsating sound in the ear. It can be from a variety of causes such as transmitted venous pulsations to the ear hearing structures, or transmitted sounds from nearby veins or arteries which at times may be narrowed from vascular disease or other growths. It may also occur from problems with the inner ear itself such as menieres disease (although commonly more constant)
otosclerosis, or increased pressure in the fluid system or CSF.

If it is in keeping with your heartbeat teh cause is most likely vascular. If it persists you should have it evaluated as sometimes it is an indicator of underlying vascular problem in the head and neck.
Have you had your blood pressure checked? You can go to your local emergency department and the triage nurse should check it for you for free.
I've had a similar problem - the way I usually describe it to people is to tell them to put the flat of their palm to their ear, and tap their hand - that's what it sounds like.

My ENT said it could possibly be myoclonus inside the ear, and put me on anti-convulsants (never took them) but due to other problems I was getting, I was turfed to a Neuro, and told I have 'benign fasiculations' - however, at that point, the sound in my ear had dissapeared so was of little interest to him.

I had the noise almost 24/7 for a year. Then it vanished for a few months. Now it's back on/off.

It is hard not to let it bother you, all I can suggest is ear plugs (lessens the noise) and trying your best not to let it bother you (much harder than it sounds, I know).
My problem involves "thumping sound in my right ear".  I have had a MRI done to make sure I don't have anything wrong in my head!  I have had a MRI done to check that artery in my neck and that all seems clear.  At one time I did have a hole in my ear drum and that was fixed but it DID NOT clear up the sound of my heart beat in my ear!  My hearing is like if I had my finger in my ear, kind of a hollow sound.  Sort of the sound when you are sick and just cannot hear anything.  I have given up whom I need to go to.  I have gone to a ENT Doctor and a Vascular Sergeon and I have not had any success. I have had this for about 8 yrs. constantly.  I have learned to live with it but is so frustrating.  Does anyone have any sugestions?
Thanks!
A related discussion, naniejean was started.
A related discussion, Thumping sound in my right ear! was started.
A related discussion, Ear Thumping was started.
A related discussion, Hollow Sound was started.