Neurology Community
tingling buzzing sensation in hands and feet.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm a 35 year old male from the UK in otherwise good
health.
About 3 months ago I started having some weird symptoms/sensations.
Firstly, I noticed a slight tremor in my left thumb, it only lasted a few seconds and I put this down to fatigue, as I'd been working out with weights. For some weeks after this my left hand felt tired and shakey (shaky), but without any loss of strength or actually shaking.
I then started to experience intermitant sensations of what I can only describe as light numbness and pins and needles in both my hands and feet, but primarily on my left sided extremeties.I would also occassionaly get these sensations on a small area of my left thigh.These sensations regularly come and go, but last seconds rather than minutes/hours.
In recent weeks the light numbness seems to have subsided but I have noticed that I regularly wake up
during the night with either hand completely numb.This is rectified in seconds by wiggling my fingers, but the effected hand is left feeling weak for a couple of hours.I have also noticed a strange
buzzing sensation under my left foot, that I can only describe as if someone was holding vibrating mobile phone against it.
I have been to see my GP who seems to think stress or anxiety.Basic blood tests have come back normal.
I apologise for the length of this post, but I would
much appreciate any thoughts or advice as the where I go now.
1)does anybody know, statistically, how likely these
symptoms are to be caused by some serious disorder ie ms.
2)Does stress/anxiety seem a feesible cause.
3)These symptoms are very light and the worry of what they might be is causing much more of a problem than the actual sensations. With this in mind, do you think it might be better to just live with these things and see if they die down of their own accord.
Many thanks in advance.  
Consider heavy metal poisoning. My symptoms also include headaches and pressure on top of my head and in my jaw, lack of concentration and ringing in the ears. However, my husband has primarily the tingling in the hands and feet.
We are detoxing and the symptoms are improving. At first we thought it was just mercury poisoning from eating fish. However, consider that metals like lead, aluminum etc. could be a part as well. Here are some of the sources: cooking ware, dishes, lotions, any kinds foods especially from polluted places like China like teas, canned foods etc..
Also, consider electrosmog from wireless devices. About 5% of people get headaches etc.
And mold.
We switched to glass and stainless steel pots and dishes and we don't take any supplements at the moment. We noticed the first change for the better after about a week. Dandelion tea helps with detoxing but make sure it's from a clean place, also onions and garlic. You could get a blood test if you want to know for sure.
Hope this helps.
Of course, it's impossible to tell your anxiety level from your post.  My gut feeling in listening to your description is that it is not anxiety producing the symptoms.  (On the other hand the paresthesias you are describing will cause  anxiety and the stress of that will heightens your perception of any bodily sensation. ((as I've often said..garbled, but true)))

Did your GP run a B12 level?  Deficiency is a common cause of parasthesias.

Do you have any other symptoms?  Visual, weakness, dizzy,  anything?

I would think an MRI of your brain and C-spine would be in order, but in the UK you have to convince your GP of that, right?

Are you on any meds?  Sometimes paresthesias are side effects.

I'll await your answers.  I'm sure others wil chime in.  Paresthesias are a huge topic here.  You can tell just by the number of questions involving them in the last two days.  I'm not a neurologist, but I have lots of opinions and ideas (some helpful and some very much NOT)

Quix
Many thanks for both replies.
Well, I'm not on any meds, I don't have any visual or balance problems. I did have one strange experience of dizziness some weeks ago, whilst lying in bed one morning. Although I've never experienced this before, it only lasted a minute or so, and as I'd been drinking a fair bit of alcohol the previous evening(not a regular occurrence) I put it down to this.
As far as stress is concerned, I have been under a lot of pressure lately and whilst I know I'm not imagining these sensations, I was wandering if they could be a manifestation of the stress ? I have no actual weakness.
I had also wandered if these feelings could be caused by bad
circulation as they will often stop with movement or begin if
pressure is applied ie if I rest my left foot on my right knee, I will get the sensations in my right foot.
Also, from adolecence, I suffered frequent bad migraines, with all the numbness, word blindness and other strange sensations that go with them. Now, as I've got older they have become far less frequent, maybe only occurring 2 or 3 times
a year. However, the one sure fire thing that would set them off would be high stress,guarenteed.
The strange thing I find now, is that whilst feeling highly stressed for a few months, there has been no sign of my migraines.
Up to now I have had one very basic blood test carried out by
my GP which I believe is generic and tests for infection, liver
function and glucose levels.
Just prior to my symptoms making their appearence I had a fairly stringent work related medical which involved vision tests
and various nerve related tests with tuning folks scratches on
the bottom of the feet etc.
This all apeared normal, but of course the Doctor and I were not aware of any potential problems at this time.
I appreciate that it is impossible to say what is causing this situation without more indepth testing and I know that there are
many possible explanations, but I would appreciate anybody
who could maybe provide some idea of the likelyhood that its
something serious as opposed to something that might eventually go away of its own accord.
In short, I suppose I'm looking for a bit of reassurance.
The whole stress/anxiety/tingling thing is a mess to tease out and certainly very hard on line.  Generally people know when they are anxious even though they may be reluctant to believe that strong symptoms can bve caused by anxiety.  On the other hand, strange sensations which CAUSE someone  to be anxious can certainly be heightened by the anxiety itself.  It becomes a vicious cycle.  We become sensitized to our own body's sensations and can magnify all of them.  

Tingling that comes or changes with position certainly speaks more of a physical or mechanical cause.  Tight, tense muscles can do it, sitting positions which cause pressure on nerves can do it as can back problems.  You're young to have circulation problems.

That your tingling occurs in both hands and feet (though much more on the left, you said) argues against something like MS.  Your symptoms are mild enough that I think you have some time to watch and see whether they evolve into something more definite or fade away.  In the meantime I would do what I could to counter stress.  Consider going for some massage treatments, especially of the neck and shoulders.  Cut down on caffeine.  Examine your posture as your work.  Learn some stretching exercises of the neck, shoulders and back and do them at least twice a day.  Get a modicum of brisk walking in every day.  All of these could help immensely if your tingling is related to internalizing stress.

If measures like these have no effect - see your GP again and tell him you need a deeper check on the problems.

Quix
Many thanks for taking the time to respond to my concerns.
I will certainly give your suggestions a try.
Steve
Well, since I last posted I have had further blood work to test
for thyroid function, amongst other things. All came back
normal.I failed to mention in my earlier posts that I have had
some gastric problems for a few years as I didn't think relevant,
however after reading about Celiac, I thought I would mention this to my GP, only for him to say that if this was the case he would expect to see something within my blood results to indicate this ie anemia.
Anyway, I've been refered to a neurologist, who I hope to see
in the next 12 weeks.
As far as my symptoms are concerned, well they have changed a bit, not in severity, but slightly in location.
I still get the buzzing/ tingling in my hands and particularly my
feet, mainly on my left side. I also have a feeling of tightness
in the skin on the right side of my face and a strange sensation
when I yawn or cough that feels like a match stick being pressed against the tip of my tongue, which lasts only a couple
of seconds.
My main problem now is without doubt stess, as each test comes back normal and the more reading I do, it seems I am
obsessing more and more about ms.
It's as if the most likely/benign answers are being discounted
and I'm slowly moving towards the last dx I could want.
I know that there is no way to discount the possibility of
ms at this stage, but would appreciate your honest opinion
on the likelyhood of this being down to ms as opposed to something else.
I do apologise for the length of this post and if I appear to be bleating on when others on this site are clearly in a far worse state than myself, but this obsessing is really taking over my life and having an effect on those around me.
Many thanks in advance for any opinions (good or bad)
forthcoming.

Steve.

My 18 yr old daughter recently started experiencing numbness and tingling in her hands and legs.  In a week, she lost the use of the muscles in her face, hands, and legs.  She also had pain in the neck.  She had fallen at work and we thought it was just back and neck strain from the accident.  When the parathesis set in, we went to a neurologist.  After a series of MRI's she told us that there was nothing wrong with her.  I told her that she was crazy and went to another doc in another town and found that she in fact had Guillian-Barre Syndrome.  It is rare, but if a doctor cared enough to find out what was wrong, we would have gotten treatments in a much timelier fashion.  Just bringing attention to this Syndrome, so that someone else doesn't believe the lie that there is nothing wrong.
Hi, all I can say to your symptoms and concerns is ..ditto!  I feel exactly the same way.  I am a 35 yr female - normal health and fitness (maybe 5 -10 pounds overweight since the birth of my 2nd child), but all in all, healthy and of sound mind.  But for the past 10 years or so, my joints (started in my left side)-ankle, wrist, knee have suffered painful moments, but have always subsided.  Now, over the past year or two, the pains and aches have moved into the joints on the ride side and up into my left shoulder.  I have been tested for arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome more than once - always coming back negative.  I am currently waiting for results from my blood test yesterday to see if my ailments are a result of Lyme Disease (Burrlieosis).  Over the past two months, I have had a, nothing more than nerving, numbness and tingling in both hands - which travel up to and now past my elbows.  It is mostly continuous now.  At the beginning it was worse in the evenings and as you, it keep me from deep sleep because I was constantly waking up to "shake it off".  The tingling and numbness has now also moved to my feet - started with toes and now is on the entire bottom of my foot.  Last night it was as if someone held a lighter under my feet.  I have, occasionally, a very heavy feeling in my feet, ankle, legs - as if someone has poured lead into my legs.  All of my symptoms go away most of the time and remain gone for months but then decide to pay me a surprise visit again.  I have also noticed a bit of fuzziness in my vision - eye doctor check cleared "OK".  Had a x-ray done on my neck and the orthopedic dr said it did not look too bad.  I too, am confronted with the fear that this could be ms.  So, I had an appointment at a neurologist who did a couple of tests on me and had me fill out tons of questionnaires to find some background info.  He did not "hear me out" very well though and has started acupuncture to treat the pain in my hands and feet.  He says I am also suffering from FYBROMYALGIA (which I am not too sure about the truth behind that) and carpal tunnel syndrome.  He has not even considered doing an MRI or any of the visual EEG testing.  I am going to search for another doctor who may take my ailments more serious.  On the other hand, I figure this neurologist must have a good understanding of ms and maybe I have just scared myself into thinking that is what I have.  I have not come right out and asked him to do an MRI - do you or anyone else think I should?Have you had your initial appointment with the neurologist yet?  Like you said, stress does seem to be a factor and I wonder if the symptoms then become psychosomatic when we worry if it is a sign of ms???? How are you feeling lately - I hope better :-)
Take care
Heidi
Hi Hidi, to be honest, you sound like you are having a harder
time than me, as my pain seems to be limited to very minor aches in my hands and feet that last no more than a few minutes. I also get these funny little stings that feel like a single pin ***** as in pins and needles and can occur anywhere on my arms or legs.
As I've already said, the worry of what might be is taking a far greater toll than the physical symptoms, which if they remained the same I could live with fairly ok.
I have not seen a neurologist just yet as I'm still waiting for an
appointment, hope to see one within the next 12 weeks.
I know that these symtoms (symptoms) could turn out to be MS, but what I would like to know is how likely that it is MS as opposed to somthing else.
I think that my GP has ruled out a thyroid problem through basic blood testing, along with B12 dificiency and other minor things.
Like you I hope I can get some answers soon.
All the best
Steve

Steve,
I have had symptoms similar to yours over the past two months and have had an mri and met with a neurologist who ruled out MS.  I am now on medication for anxiety.  My anxiety has been mostly health related.  For me, perhaps this ordeal with my body going out of whack is my body's way of telling me to slow down.  If you go to the anxiety forum and look back over previous entries, you will see just how many people are worried about symptoms very similar to what you describe, and they've had every test possible and it ends up being anxiety.  I guess anxiety can really mess with our nervous systems.  I noticed my symptoms subside a bit after hearing from the doctor that it was not MS or anything else serious with my nervous system.  The fear of what it could be consumed me and undoubtedly made the symptoms worse.  I also found some comfort in learning more about anxiety and all that it can do, and that's something I can deal with and get pass if I take better care of myself.  Take care.
Hi rita, I have suspected throughout that these sensations/ symptoms could be down to stress, but having done lots of reading on this site and others I became less sure.
I have a number of things going on in my life (not bad) that will
potentially have a life changing effect on both myself and my
family and me being in good health is vital if these thing are going to work out.
this all started about 3 months ago with a tremor in my left thumb, which I worried could be the onset of Parkinson's (I
know this sounds lame and I've never been such a worrier in the past). Thinking back, this was probably down to the fact that I had been weight training and my hand was simply tired. From then on I started to get the sensory symptoms which has
led to me becoming so worried about MS.
As far as anxiety is concerned, can it cause real physical symptoms such as these as opposed to percieved ones.
I do know that these things are not in my mind, but would be happy if, at the end of the day they had been caused by stress or anxiety.
I suppose I'm not going to be happy until I know for sure what's going on, but I really appreciate you taking the time to
give somthing else to consider, rather than dwelling on the worse case scenario.
Many thanks
Steve
Steve,
I just read your post due to similar problems.
About three weeks ago I started having this "buzzing" feeling on the side of my right knee. It comes and goes but at it's worse it was doing it several times a minute for maybe five seconds at a time.  It's a very mild buzz that I can best descibe as a little electic motor running that's resting against my knee.
This is not the first time I've had this.  This is the third time this is happening in the past 6-7 months, all in a different location.
Several weeks ago I started feeling an intermitent tremor in my right hand although if I feel it with my left I don't feel it shaking.
For the past week I've been having a general weakness/fatigue in my legs.  It feels like the day after you went for a jog when you don't jog on a regular basis.
I did atributed this to the walking and jogging I started but although I laid off for several days it hasn't gone away.  It's not a constant feeling but it's something that last for several hours within the day.
Today i noticed my arms feel the same way but it could be from using a leaf blower yesterday.
I've been really busy with work and don't get much sleep everynight so I'm thinking it may be fatigue that's just catching up with me, at least that's what I'm hoping.
Like you I've had a stomach problem (cramping, bloating) for the past three and a half months and just saw my doctor last week.  I had a blood test done along with a abdominal x-ray for a start.  Next week I go back for the results.
"rmeg" mentioned heavy metals is something to consider so I thought I'd mention that I've gone through five "Ion cleanse" treatments and in every treatment I've had a lot of black flecks which indicate heavy metals in my body.
I'm not totally convince about "ion cleansing" but i was doing it for my stomach problem and I figured that was better that seeing a doctor.
For the past few day my stomach has been normal but weakness/fatigue/tremors/buzzing hasn't changed.  

Have you ever gotten to the bottom of your problem?  I, too, have similar symptoms.  Mine started end of August with a weird feeling in my left arm and leg.  Not weak but it felt kind of heavy.  I had this years ago and it ended up being nothing.  I had an MRI of the brain and cspine and it showed nothing at that time.  Sometimes I, too, get a single pin ***** feeling in various parts of my body and i get this buzzing feeling in the bottom of my left foot.  My left leg seems to be most affected with a varying amount of sensations.  Some are pins and needly around the knee, very slight pain in the calf, a feeling like I am not going to be able to walk.  I, too, don't know if this is anxiety as I have a lot of worry about a family member and wonder if this is causing the sensations.  It's strange that i feel this same feeling in left arm and leg.  I am 51 year old female and in very good health.  No meds, vital signs normal.  I do have golf elbow which could be causing the sensations in my left arm but I don't know if that would make the left leg feel the way it does.  It feels like its going numb but doesn't really.  I am making an appointment with the same Neurologist I saw 10 years ago to see if he can explain any of it.  I hope I don't sound crazy but the feelings are real and like you they get worse by the worrying that I am doing over it.  Anybody else have any comments about this please post.  One other thing is on my right arm just above my wrist I feel like I am wearing a watch but i am not.  It comes and goes in a few seconds  Thank you.
I have had much of the same sensations that you mention, especially the buzzing, vibrating, etc. stuff.

NOW - I am just me, one case, BUT I do have MS, diagnosed in 2000, w/ a "hot" MRI in '93 that was a botched read. I know cause I brought the '93 along w/ me to UnivPenna.Hospital in '00, and they just threw it up on wall for a quick look-see. WELL - they weren't happy, saying I should have been on immuno-mod therapy since '93.  

WHAT do I know: NOTHING ! BUT - any doc would admit that at this point in your "journey" (they sometimes are one, you know) that you need a "BASELINE MRI", which may NOT show anything at this time (or in the future), BUT would help the diagnosis of whatever may be "evolving" in you over time. AND any neuro doc would admit that "sooner is better than later" in diagnosing certain progressive maladies. The above all read sufficiently in detail that I can't believe an MRI isn't indicated at this point, of course NOT early on, but now. Look at it this way: The MRI will show/not show what may be happening. Then YOU will know what your problem probably is NOT. And that would go a long way toward easing your anxiety.

By the way: The bad news about MS is, of course, it's MS. The good news IS that they are really on to some great stuff both available now, and research-wise. MS can often NOT be the problem it  used to be. THAT is another reason you need to get to a neuro doc, preferably an MS-ONLY neuro doc if it's ultimately suggested.

I am in the USA (Penna.), BUT my local neuro is from the UK, 20 yrs worth ! He saw lotsa MS there, and is a great help to me in my small town. BUT I do have an "MS-ONLY-ONLY" neuro in Phila. Betw/ the two, I am locked and loaded.

Get to a neuro ASAP, and get yourself reassured you're OK. I HAVE MS, and it is under control at the moment, and mostly has been (some exceptions admittedly). I have no illusions, BUT to repeat: MS is NOT the issue it was in 1990. We are NOW in 2007, and what a difference in treatments (a lot of choices, comparatively), diagnosis, etc.

Get the FOCUSED-HELP you clearly need at this point (maybe not before, but now.)
GO! To a nurologest , he is the only MD that can help you, gps do not know any thing about this problem you have. gapsr
I just made my appointment. I go to the neurologist on 10/8/07.  When you had the buzzing did it last all day or intermittent or what.  I seem to only feel that buzzing when I go to bed.  Last night both legs had the twitchy feelings and it went away in about 5 minutes.  I don't seem to be bothered by any of this at work.  I sit at a desk all day and use the computer.  The time I feel these symptoms the most is when I get home and put my feet up and when I get in bed.  Were your symptoms this "come and go?" or were they constant?
Have any of you ever felt feelings of being sprayed with water?  That came on today and I remember having that same feeling years ago when I was went to the neurologist.  I go for my appt. in a week.  I will post anything i find out.  Anybody out there ever experience the "sprayed water" sensation on any parts of the body?
just noticed the new posts and thanks for responding.
Well, since my last posts I have had a brain MRI w/o contrast.
This came back as normal, with I quote "no cerebral abnormality"
The report goes onto state that there is some fluid signal in the left
mastiod air cells, but I'm led to believe that this is not relevant to my
symptoms.
I also had an EMG study on both hands/ wrists which also came back
normal.
Now, obviously I'm relieved with the result of the MRI (couldn't see much point
in the EMG, to be honest) but I don't know how much weight I can lend to the
result. I have all the same symptoms and I have read on here many times of
people who have clear MRI's but still have ms.
I appreciate what you're saying, as someone who's been dx with ms, that ms
is a condition that can often be managed nowdays and should not be feared in the same way it once was. Indeed, the research I've done on the internet (really not sure if its the best thing to do) has made me aware of a number of
conditions that are a lot worse.
Still, I really need to know what's going whilst living in the hope that its somthing that will eventually go away, or at least not get any worse.
Steve    
I can relate to most of the strange sensations you describe.
To be honest the biggest problem with these sensations I find,
is the stress/anxiety of what might be causing them. the sensations
themselves are just, well, strange and not really that bothersome.
I do find the best relief to be found in exercise. I don't know if its
just a case of taking your mind off things or if the physical activity
actually has some direct effect, but I do know that it makes me feel
100% better both physically and mentally.
Steve.  
Hi Steve,

I am glad your MRI came back normal.  This must relieve you some.  I agree with you that the stress of it all and worry makes things so much more worse than they probably are.  My sensations are not bothersome either but would still like to know what they mean.  Maybe some things are just unexplained and its part of who you are and your make up.  What did your doctor tell you when your MRI came back normal?  Does he give you any indication of what it is.  I have not read anywhere about MS patients as having "normal" MRIs.  My ex-husband was diagnosed in 1998 and he tells me that the lesions will show up if you have MS.  Are you worried, still, that you have MS or are you content with the DX?
Has anyone with these stange symptoms figured out what is wrong? I too have tingling/burning almost constant now in both legs from the knees down, both wrists, eye orbits and the left forearm. I have been tested for MS, brain tumor, vit and mineral deficiencies, diabetes, autoimmune disease including lyme, thyroid and others. The only test that comes back elevated is sedimentation which indicates inflammation. My symptoms started 10 months ago and have been getting markedly worse for for the past 5 months. A neurologist found an approximate 50% loss of sensation in both feet. I had a previous cervical spinal fusion and the neurologist thought it may be the probelm. I saw a spine specialist who looked at my MRI and said nothing was wrong in my spine. My GP while concerned has exhausted her tools and is sending me back to the neurologist. I now take vicodan and amitripaline to make through the day. I was under extreme stress earlier this summer as my father was dying of cancer. He died last month and while I find myself very sad at times, I don't feel depressed beyond the normal grief process. While the stress is now gone, my symptoms have progressed. I am however frustrasted and scared at times. Last month I was hospitalized with a suspected heart attack. I have no risks for cardiac problems. But I now have a flattend T-wave whatever that means. I wish you and all the others with these strange symptoms luck and will watch to see if any of us finds an answer.
Well, I just had my neurologist appointment and everything check out fine.  In the MRI that he took 8 years ago there was no demyelation or leasons.  He convinced me that this is NOT MS.  The cervical spine MRI did show some degeneration of C5/C6 but he really didn't think this was causing the symptoms.  He does want to do another MRI of the c-spine to see the changes since 1998.  However, he assured me it was only for degeneration NOT MS.  What he did say he thinks is causing my problems is something called hyperventilation syndrome.  Anyone ever hear of it?  Apparently, stress and anxiety is another culprit of something benign.  I looked it up and the symptoms do corelate with a lot of my feelings.  He said that anxiety can cause uneven breathing (that you don't even realize or feel) and in turn can cause numerous crawly, burning, buzzing, tingling, etc. feelings in your body.   And what I found interesting is that over 80% of all cases feel these feelings on the left side, which is the side I've been feeling them on.  I will have the MRI and let you all know what I find out about that.  Also, he highly recommended Yoga, which I am going to do.  I hope this helps some of you worrying about MS like I was.  I do feel a lot better knowing this.  Look it up on line and see if it doesn't match some of you symptoms.
I also get the buzzing feeling in my feet. I had a mri to rule out m.s. I"v had the buzzing feeling for almost two years  my doctors it was caused from stress and anxiety. I still worry that it is m.s. the mind is a powerful thing.
I have the buzzing/vibration feelings too.  Started soon after whiplash accident.  So, it's either something with the neck OR anxiety due to neck issue.  I think it's interesting what mbgolfer wrote -- about it being on left side of the body - because most of my buzzing is on the left side, too.  I started thinking I had MS, too -- I haven't had brain MRI yet - but I'm looking into b12 deficiency as well since I'm vegetarian and sister has intrinsic factor which doesn't allow her to absorb vitamin.  Which makes me a candidate as well.  I also have thyroid issues, though, and buzzing sensations/dizziness are symptoms.  So -- I have a whole list of reasons to pick from!  I saw internist and neuro and both don't think it's MS because I don't have any weakness (other than weakness I had right after whiplash/concussion) and I'm not dropping things.
Hope we can find some answers because although it's not painful anymore (I had a lot of muscle cramping in legs for awhile) it is very annoying.  I have noticed the buzzing is less noticeable, but sometimes I will really feel it in my legs/butt when I'm sitting for awhile.  Weird.  I've started yoga and working to de-stress my body/mind through exercise and imagery.  
This past weekend I started with a twitching under my left eye.  Left side again.  I now have to add this to the list of buzzing, twitching, slight pins and needly feelings I've been having.  All on the left side.  I am starting to wonder if I should have the Neuro do an MRI with contrast again.  I had an MRI on 10/11/07 but just of the cervical spine but there was no contrast done.  He said he was looking for any problems in my neck since I do have pain when I move my neck side to side.  However, this will not show any demyelating disease w/o the contrast.  He did not want to run another MRI even though the first one was done 9 years ago.  I hope he's right.  I don't go back to him until December 2007 however, i will be speaking to him regarding the results of the c-spine MRI.  I feel like an idiot sometimes even mentioning MS to him b/c he keeps reassuring me that i don't have it.  Wouldn't you think that another MRI with contrast would be in order after 9 years?  Anybody else out there have the twitching under the eye?  In the "bag" area?
My sister gets twitching under the eyes sometimes for weeks at a time.  She has thyroid problem as well -- something to look into as a lot of these symptoms are also thyroid related.
You stated that a c-spine MRI w/o contrast will not show a lesion, I don't think thats true, the contrast is used to see active lesions, they will glow.  Old ones will show, they just don't light up on the films.  This is just what I have always understood.  
Thanks for that information.  I think you are right.  I appreciate the update.  I will post when I get my results back from my doctor on the c-spine MRI w/o contrast.
From the Uk and I can't believe how much of you all have the same/similar symtoms (symptoms) as me.  

I posted a question under the heading Extreme Stress over symptoms.  It all started with prickly feeling in left foot then hand.  Then came the left foot buzzing sensation, on off tingly buzzing sensations in my hands, legs and feet.  I get muscle twitching in arms and legs.  Feels like popcorn is popping in my calves.  It's all so strange, I have had an over active bladder since I was 22 (now 26) and I'm scared this is related.  

I have seen many doctors that think Stress/Anxiety. I've had an eye test that I passed with flying colours and they even looked in the backs of my eyes etc.  I was given an appointment to see a Neurologist and as everything here takes so long I decided to see a private one.  He did an examination and said he couldn't see anything to worry about and thought I was too anxious!  He told me to wait for my other appointment and that way I'll have a second opinion and it will be free!

I think seeing all these posts makes me feel better knowing it could be stress/anxiety.
I know it is amazing how un-alone you feel with these weird symptoms when you talk to others on this site.  It seems like there should be an answer but nobody seems to really have it.  I am going back to my neuro 10/30/07 to go over my MRI of the c-spine but he called me and told me that there was something going on with my C5/C6 disk in my neck.  I don't know if whatever that is would cause the tingling/prickly feeling I feel in my left arm, hand, leg and foot.  Unfortunately, he left a message on my voicemail so i didn't get to actually speak with him or I would have asked more questions.  I will ask him at our appointment if he saw anything else like lesions but he did not mention that in the voicemail.  I need to accept the stress/anxiety diagnosis and get on with my life.  It's just hard to believe that these symptoms could occur from that.  I don't even feel like I am stressed out at this point and it really isn't getting any better with the symptoms.  I will post next week after i speak with the neuro.
Thanks for replying mbgolfer.

I see another Neurologist in 2 weeks time and will also post the results, the first one I saw said no signs of anything serious but I since developed the twitching all over!  I too get the eye twitching but also no that lots of people get eye twitching, I have it all over though!  

I am also an anxious and stressed person and even more so now, so really hope it's what it is.  It is true that it is so hard to believe that it could be the cause of such physical symptoms!  I have become very obsessed with the thought of having MS and it's took over my life, I believe that I have become so sensitive to my body too,

Pease keep me posted.
Hi scanny - I like your description of "popping corn."  That is really appropriate!

Well I saw the neurologist today for the results of my c-spine and he said I do have some abnormality of some of the disks, however, the symptoms I have do not coincide with the disk problem.  He said for the few spinal abnormalities that I have that I should be feeling sensations on my right side not my left side.  He said that my symptoms are not coming from my neck.  He also said that I don't have any lesions.  He said that neurologically I am sound but he senses my anxiety about MS, too.  He said he will prescribe an MRI of the brain ONLY for my satisfaction.  He does not expect to find anything but he feels that maybe that is what I need in order to relieve the anxiety.  He prescribed Lexapro (anti-anxiety med) b/c he feels that this will help me tremendously.  However, I don't think I am going to take it until after my MRI of the brain.  Maybe if this comes back negative I won't feel the anxiety anymore.  I really don't want to start taking meds and I think if it really is anxiety I can handle that in my own way.  Even though I probably don't sound like I can.  One of the tests he had me do is to breath in and out really hard for about 2 minutes.  I started to get those sensations in my hand and i got dizzy so he still thinks its something called hypervenilation syndrome which happens to people that have anxiety, whereby, subconscienciously our breathing is  not right and this can cause these sensations.  That's what he said.  I go back in December 07 but he said he would call me with the results of the MRI of the brain.  I will post that when I get it back.  I hate to sound so "crazy" but it seems like we all have the strange feelings and just want an explanation for them.  Let me know what your second opinion brings.  Its good to know that there are people with these same sensations and it is NOT MS.  Talk to you soon.
Good luck with your MRI mbgolfer...I, too, am meeting with a neuro in a few weeks.  I'm hoping he will schedule an MRI for me as well.   It's such a scary thing to be going through.  My symptoms started after a neck injury (whiplash) and my cervical MRI showed a slight bulging at the C5, 6, 7 as well.  Although the buzzing is much less than before, it all originated in the head and left side of body and still is mostly on the left side, although it can sometimes be felt in other areas.  I feel like if my body would just "quiet down" I would be able to move on from this.   These boards give me some comfort but also intesify my fear of MS, etc too!!!
Hi Mbgolfer

Thanks for responding.  I'm glad your Neurologist is so understanding and your having the MRI of the brain again.  I think like you said the anxiety itself is steming from the MS fear and if this was to be taken away by a clear MRI you wouldn't need the tabs!  Please keep me posted.  

I have since been told that I have a slightly Over active Thyroid.  I'm hoping this may be the cause of some of the symptoms.  I have my Neuro appoint next Thursday and will let you know what he says.

Sorry but can I ask a few questions, Do you get a buzzzing feeling in your feet?  Buzzy tingly feelings in fingertips and toe tips?  Do you get the "popcorn" feeling in your calfs then?

Did you say that your Neuro said some people get these irritations and it could be nothing?  

Also I wanted to know how your husband copes with his MS?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so stressed with all these wierd feelings!
Hi Whiteorcid

What sort of Thyroid problems do you have?

Do you think buzzing and twitching could be from a slightly over active one?
Hi Whiteorcid

Hi Whiteorcid

I definitely think it's related.  The only symptoms I had before I was diagnosed hypothyroid were missed periods, tiredness and cold hands and feet.  AFTER I went on synthroid I began having panic attacks and then chest pain, heart palps, shortness of breath for months on end.  It was horrible.  I'm no longer having the heart palps and shortness of breath (thank goodness) but after the whiplash, I had such horrible symptoms, my body went into overdrive or something and now I have constant, everyday anxiety and buzzing/vibrations in body that are less noticeable than they were but still very annoying and scary.  It's hard NOT to think about it when you can FEEL your body is jittery ALL the time!  Unfortunately, you all understand what I mean - it is not fun and exhausting.  I'm starting to feel really run-down.  I was diagnosed with hashimotos just this summer (my other idiot doctors never bothered to test my antibodies these past three years) and so that explains why my TSH kept going up and down.  I'm now with a new doctor and changing my thyroid dose a little to see what happens (I've been at TSH of 0.36) and go a little higher.  That is the main problem -- I don't know how much is anxiety and how much of it is my thyroid issue.  I may end up going on a different thyroid hormone (armour or thyrolar) to see if that helps a little.  The buzzing and twitching can definitely be related to the thryoid, but over 3+ years I've NEVER had those symptoms so this is new to me.  
Thanks for replying.

I was only told mine was slighty over active, my docs said they will wait 3 mnths and re-test.  I am a mess with all this worry and feel the stress may have even made my thyroid over active.  My dad did have it and had to have half his thyroid removed so it prob is the begining of it for me.  I have stopped living because of the stress of all this, I hardly eat and sleep and all i think about is MS!  Like you said I would feel better if these weird feelings would just go away!

What are your thyroid levels at?   A slightly overactive thyroid can show no symptoms for some people and LOTS of symptoms for others -- so find out where your levels are at (get a copy) and do your own research because if your doc is only looking at your lab results and not your symptoms -- that is not good.    Also - don't think that just because your dad had half his thyroid removed, you will have to -- everyone is different even if it does run in the family.    You need to eat (even if you don't want to) because it will only make you weaker and feel more anxious.  Try to do some yoga or relaxation techniques.  I've been doing that and it helps some.  Also - magnesium powder (natural calm it's called) has helped me sleep and helped with the muscle twitches as well.  I'm no expert -- just going through this hell day by day and learning what helps (if even a little) and what doesn't.  Good luck.
I had a thyroid test done over a year ago and it was normal.  Yes, my neuro said that these symptoms can mean nothing except anxiety.  My ex-husband was diagnosed with MS in 1997 and he is on an injection once a week that he gives himself.  I forget what its called but he is doing very well.  He says sometimes when he takes the injection that he feels really wiped out and tired but he takes it at night and sleeps it off.  He has some nerve damage in his right leg and he has a secondary condition called reynauds (sp?) syndrome which comes from his MS.  Its a circulatory thing in his hands when it gets real cold.  He says they turn blue.  But overall he does very well.  He travels in his job all over the country and also overseas and he is still doing that.  He is 50 now.  I know the really hot heat bothers him, too.  That is definitely something that bothers people with MS.  The heat really knocks them out.  Me, on the other hand loves the heat and it doesn't bother me so I guess that a good sign.  I think the medicine is Avonex or something like that and it really has helped keep him in remission.  His MS started with symptoms of numbness in both hands.  He said he felt like he was wearing mitts.  Then it spread to his stomach which he said was really weird.  He also had electric shock feelings in his arms and legs.  When i tell him my symptoms he said they are different than what he had.  My symptoms seem to subside and come back but he says that his were always there until I guess the leason healed.

My buzzing has been in my finger tips, left hand, left foot(mostly) and occasionally other parts.  I have not been diagnosed ever with any thyroid, heart, etc. problems.  I have not had a test done testing your magnesium and potassium levels.  He never suggested doing that.  I am having the brain MRI this friday so i will post after i get those results.
Thanks for responding again, your advice is much appricated.

Keep me updated on the MRI results.
Thank you for respondind again.

Sorry I thought you had said husband not ex.  Hope I didn't offend you!

I have buzzing at the tops of my thighs which seems to go when I get up as it's only when siting I'm get it.  I also get the buzzing in the left foot when in bed or if I lean on it or stand a certain way.  I too get the buzzy finger tips.  I think the fact you said your ex husbands symptoms stayed with him and didn't come and go like mine and yours is a good sign so thanks for that.  I go to another neurologist on Thursday so I'll post what he says.

I did have the offical report from the last one and found that although everything appeared normal to him I did have slightly brisk reflexes but the same on both sides.  This has panicked me but he didn't seem that bothered by it.

I went to my neuro today and he was really nice.  He is ordering and a heart scan (can't remember the name) for me.  He thinks a lot of it is related to anxiety but also feels my neck muscles are extremely tense, which can cause symptoms.  He thinks I might hyperventilate (tested my breathing) as welll which doesn't help things.  So, that's where I'm at so far...

I asked him about the buzzing, vibrations, numbness, etc and he says anxiety can cause all of those symptoms, even if it's more so on one side of the body, etc.

I also contacted a psychologist today (who was soooo nice) and we are scheduling something soon.  I feel really good about her (and her assistant) as she was very easy to talk with over the phone and our personalities seemed to match.

Good luck with everyone else out there -- hope you're finding help as well.
Well, I had my MRI of the brain w/o contrast several weeks ago and the neuro said he would call me ONLY if there was an abnormality.  He sent me for the MRI just to appease me.  Well it's been 3 weeks and i have not heard anything from him which makes me think it was normal.  I tried taking the Lexapro but i stopped.  I only took one pill but decided i did not want to take meds.  The one pill actually made me more anxious about what it was going to do to me when i stopped it as i know people that have had severe withdrawal from stopping SSRIs and I just dont want to deal with that.  I almost fainted the day i took the Lexapro.  Sometimes I think this neuro thinks its all in my head and doesnt take me very seriously.  I wouldn't be going to a neuro if I didnt have to.  I go back in December for a follow up and I think I am going to ask him to give me the EMG? (Not sure thats what its called) to see if i have any weakness in my left leg.  I dont think i do but who knows.  I think i should also see about having those viitamins/minerals levels checked and also have him check the thyroid again.  It was well in normal range a year ago but it wouldnt hurt to have it looked at again, i guess.  I am just frustrated about it all and want to try and stop thinking about it but its hard not to.  Some days are better than others.  thanks everyone out there willing to listen and respond.  I still find it hard to believe that anxiety can cause all this.  They seem to blame stress/anxiety on everything they can't dx.  But i am just not willing to take any meds for it.  Hope you all had a happy thanksgiving and lets hope the stress of Christmas doesnt get to us all.
Hi Everyone, i ended up in the hospital for a week because i started panicking off the sensations: i have a 'buzzing' in left leg that is pretty constant, burning hands and feet (intermittantly) pins and needles in arms and legs along with strange muscle cramping that only lasts for a little while but pretty intense, i has having trouble walking and felt weakness and fatigue...i had MRI of spine and head, everything OK except DSD...i believe i have a few herniated disks but no stenosis according to MRI, they also found a 'non-functioning' pituitary tumor and thyroid nodules, but hormones OK...they did blood tests for autoimmune disease, dystrophies, viral and found NOTHING...two weeks later out of the hospital, i am still weak with distressing symptoms...they tell me it's major depression from PTSD (work accident that resulted in loss of a finger)...i definitely know stress is a factor in this, but i don't think anxiety can wake you out of a dead sleep because of cramps or one's entire leg/arm fell asleep...these sensations feed anxiety/depression because they really stop my life...exercise is almost out of the question because of some loss of motor control and weakness...although exercise is good for periferial nerve damage...so i am out hobbling along...i did not get an EMG but, i think if outer limb nerves involved, i think smart to do...nerve damage can be permanent...i will keep you up to date on my findings, stay in touch, OK?
Actually, anxiety and depression CAN cause symptoms to wake you out of a dead sleep.  When my anxiety was at its worst, I would wake up with my body buzzing/tingling and felt like I was on fire.  I would awaken with muscle twitches (entire body) and I had severe muscle cramping as well - mostly in legs.  It was extremely scary and distressing.  I'm doing better, still not great - but getting there.  It sounds like you and I are in the same boat.  We both started experiencing high levels of anxiety after a trauma.  If all of your tests are OK, then don't make the mistake I did.  Accept that it IS anxiety or depression, get some help (psychologist) and move on from there.  
Hi All

Since last posting  I have seen another Neurologist who thinks that my symptoms are atypical of Ms and not consistant enough.  He however said that although anxiety can cause these symptoms he will send me for a scan to rule out MS and give me piece of mind.

I go Tues and then get the results about 5-7 working days later.  I'm so scared and really hope that it comes back normal, it will be the best Christmas present ever.

The twitching is still bad and my left foot feels crampy must of the time, I also have on off buzzing/vibrating  in both feet.

Just want this all to stop!

Do any of you get headaches or fatigue problems as well? My burning and tingling just started 2 weeks ago and i've been freaking out. The internet can scare the hell out of you. I have had a CT scan which was okay and will find out blood results tomorrow. I know I need an MRI but have been told that if you need life or disability insurance in future it is hard to get if you have had MRI. I am gonna wait till I have seen a neurologist first. I also get some muscle pain, and diziness, feel a little bit like i'm on a drug when i'm not.

Where did you here that having an MRI effects insurances, I thought it only effects insurances if you actually get diagnosed with something?

I don't seem to suffer from fatigue or the burning but then stress alone can cause fatigue!  I do get headaches a lot and i know that mine are prob caused by my stress over my symptoms!

Thanks for responding...Hope everyone doing better...i believe all my symptoms brought on by stress.  Have appt for psychiatric assessment...there is such a thing as a 'conversion' disorder- where stress becomes somatic and body does the 'acting out' through physical disease or debilitating sensations...i am not discounting the real nature of sensations/ symptoms- i have them and they disrupt my life... totally.  But, i also know when i am under stress, my body reacts...i have found this true for asthma...but, the difficulty in attributing everything to anxiety is that i will still have asthma when i am not under stress!!!
i am having very bad cramping in legs, with pain shooting down from base of spine,intermittant numbness/touch pain, bodywide twitching-non stop and buzzing of left leg, exercise intolerance...
even though i accept it is stress related and should stop with tests...they never did EMG...what does this board have to say????

I just got my results today -- my brain MRI was negative (thank goodness) so no MS, but my ECG came back with mild mitral valve prolapse.  Apparently this is a very common condition and is associated with both thyroid disease and anxiety, all of which I have.  My doctor can put me on a beta blocker or nothing -- it's not necessary to treat unless you want to for symptoms or MVP is more severe.  I can't tell you what a relief it is that my MRI was normal.  I'm still having leg aches - mostly from knee down, cramping, tight feeling, numbness and tingling on and off.  It's not noticeable when I'm sitting but when I'm walking or standing it's pretty bad.  The buzzing has lessened.  I'm going to try and walk everyday (at least 30 minutes) to see if I can improve my circulation.  Tingling/numbness is a symptom of MVP and anxiety so I'm going to chalk it up to that and try to move on and see if it improves.  It's very annoying - yes, but the more I focus on it (even though it's hard NOT to when you feel it constantly) the worse it seems to get.

I'm seeing an osteopath as well now, I'm considering prolotherapy for my whiplash and cranial sacral therapy for my dizziness and overall relaxation.  My dizziness hasn't been too bad lately, but I laid down in bed the other night and felt a spinning sensation when I closed my eyes, so I sat up immediately and walked around and laid back down and thankfully it didn't return.  Not sure what that was about - it scared the heck out of me.  Good luck to everyone on here -- I'll leave my progress on here from time to time...
Hi White Orchid,
glad to hear your good news and have outlined a plan back to health...i didn't know this but i read my labs and it said i had a slight mitral valve and some other kind of valve prolapse and have always been 'anxious' so it was good to know that this might be one source of anxiety...i am considering having an EMG done because i am still having muscle cramps, fasciculations and easy fatiguability of muscles.  i hope this is all due to anxiety as the alternative of *** stinks...BTW. what is prolotherapy?  i also suffered from whiplash and severe DSD.  Do you find your 30 minutes of walking has you flat on your back the next day due to cramps, stiffness???
Hi White Orhcid

Glad your results were neg, you must be over the moon.  Really hope and pray mine are neg too.

Has anyone ever had the buzzing vibration feeling in both feet?  It is all so weird!
Chochmeh - prolotherapy is where they inject a sugar/water solution into the affected areas, which stimulates inflammation and growth of new tissues, etc which is supposed to relieve pain and stiffness.   I am little scared about it (the needles and more pain) but I really have nothing to lose.  I want to get better and move on!!

Scanny01 - I am very excited about the MRI results but still mystified about these symptoms.  Particularly the leg symtpoms (heaviness knee down in both legs - more on left).  Doctors think it's anxiety but I have this 24/7 when walking and standing - almost like a hot feeling.  It's very annoying and I get tingling sometimes, too.  Is it possible the muscle twitches, anxiety, buzzing and tingling and loss of weight over the past six months has caused this?  I have had the buzzing in both feet - yes.  Not as much anymore, so maybe my anxiety is dying down a bit (it is) but these physical symptoms are so annoying.  My muscles aren't cramping quite as much as they were but the leg just feels heavy like I have no circulation.  I'm wondering if the anxiety causes excess carbon dioxide in my limbs and that is what is causing the heavy feeling in my legs?  
I am so glad about your results from the MRI.  Your symptoms certainly sound exactly like mine.  I am due to go back to my neuro friday, 12/14/07 for a follow up.  I am still having the same symptoms and now it seems to be in my right leg, as well as my left.  My legs just feel heavy from the knee down and notice the fasiculations so much when i am sitting or when i go to bed.  They seem to die down in bed after a while and I don't wake with them.  He never did call me on the results of my brain MRI and he said he wouldnt unless there was an abnormality.  I am going to ask him to do a EMG?  Is that the test where they check your muscles for weakness?  I don't feel like I have weakness and I am able to do everything I usually do but the bottom part of my legs feel so heavy it scares me.  I almost feel like I am not going to be able to get up off the sofa and walk.  Does that sound crazy?  I hope he will do the EMG (if thats what its called)  Maybe if that comes back normal I won't worry so much.  I never started the yoga yet and I know he going to ask me about it.  I still feel like the anxiety is coming from worry about the symptoms and not the anxiety CAUSING the symptoms.  Your right, though, the legs feel heavy and tight like they aren't circulating properly.  My eye twitch is back, too.  That comes on for 3-4 days, goes away, comes again for 3-4 days and continues with the cycle.  I am relaxing, too.  I am not constantly worrying but the symptoms still wont subside.  I'll let you know what happens on friday for my follow up.  Thanks everyone for listening.
Hi All

Had my MRI yesterday and it was a horrible experience, I didn't realise I didn't like small spaces until then!  I just have to wait now to find out the results - hopefully not to long!  Will let you know how I get on.  I just really hope I get good news like some of you too.

Whiteorchid - I think if my MRI results show no MS then I will put all this down to the stress/weight loss etc.  I have seen on the BFS forums that many people have symptoms like mine and they say that BFS can be brought on by stress/illness so if I get the all clear I will ask my neuro about that.

Mbgolfer - Ive had the eye twitch coming and go and when it comes it stays for about 3 days too!!

I'm so glad you had your MRI - sorry to hear it wasn't a good experience...well it never is, but that you were feeling claustrophobic.  Never fun but it's over now!   Let us know when you get your results.
Just to keep you updated, I phoned my Neuro this morning to see if my MRI report was ready, he wasn't there but his secretary was.  She said she had the report on her desk and had to hand it to my neuro but that I should stop worrying as the report was very short and stated that no abnormalities or lesions were found!  I have to obviously wait for my neuro to confirm this by phone call or letter but I think I can rest assured that this is good news.  Well I will when I get the call or letter anyway!

I'm still twitching, buzzing, vibrating, tingling and have cramping in my toes but not so much. I am really going to try and put this all behind me and say to myself if this was anything really bad then somewhere along the line one of the many docs and two neuro's I've seen would have seen something by now.  I believe that stress and anxiety can bring on real symptoms and I'm going to try and be more of a positive person and not worry about my health so much.  

Good luck to everyone else.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a 2008 that's filled with less symptoms and less worry!!! X
I'm glad to hear things are looking up for you.  I know how frustrating this can all be.  Anxiety can cause a lot of symptoms but then again we all know our bodies better than anyone, so it's important to be proactive and be our own advocates because you just never know.  So, I"m glad you've contacted your neuro and are ruling things out.  Getting a clear MRI is great news!

Merry Christmas to you all, too, and 2008 will DEFINITELY be a better year for all of us...I can just feel it.
Hi everyone.  Just wanted to add my own little experience to yours.  I am currently dealing with the buzzing in the left foot as well.  started about 3 months ago.  recently it started on my right foot although its not so much a buzzing as more of the feeling of a motor running under the ball of my foot.  Also a week ago my knees have begun to feel tight/stiff.  makes it difficult to walk.  I feel absolutely no pain at all.   And have no weakness at all.  Its just alot of sensation. Blood tests were all ok except for borderline high calcium and the neuro didnt see anything major during examinatiion.  she did record a slight drop in signal between my ankles and toes but said that could be the result of all the activity over the years.  She did request an MRI of the lower spine which i will take tomorrow.  She thinks their may be some disc issues.  I understand and relate to all the anxiety comments.  I can definitely say i feel the sensations much more when i stress about them.  I hope everything turns out ok for me and for everyone else here who is enduring these sensations.  And i hope you all have a great holiday.
Welcome to this forum!   As you can see, a lot of us are having symptoms similar to yours.  You can either find comfort in that (like me) or it scares you even more!!  Do you have any heaviness in your legs or feel any fatigue?   Sometimes, I just feel so tired, like I'm carrying a heavy weight around with me - my limbs (legs) will feel like lead.  Not sure if that is anxiety-related, but it seems like most people get the jelly legs, not the heavy feeling.    Well, good luck with your MRI and keep doing your homework...you know your body better than anyone.    
Hi everyone,

I had my neuro appointment for the results of the MRI of the brain and the doctor assured me that there was absolutely nothing on the scan and that everything was normal.  He said there was some NORMAL abnormalities just due to my age (51).  Its a normal thing.  I told him that I experienced an extreme weakness and jelly like feeling last week when I picked up my daughter from college.  It was so hot in her dorm and we made several trips up and down two flights of steps.  I have never been bothered by the heat but that day in her building I had to go outside and cool off as my right leg was tingling and tight and really bothering me.  I got so scared b/c I know that heat bothers those that suffer with MS but he said he thinks I got overheated and therefore was breathing heavy and it was once again a hyperventilation thing going on.  I've been doing some reading on perimenopause and he thinks I could be starting with that.  I have been getting a bit hot lately off and on and I am the type that is always cold and has a space heater blowing on me all day at work, even in the summer when the a/c is so cold.  Anyway, he thought that feeling in my leg was not related to MS at all b/c he kept saying, "You do not have MS."  Well, I have to say that after that appointment and getting the good test results that I have been feeling alot better.  The tingling has gone down, the buzzing has lessened and the twitching is better, too.  I am going to try and relax and have a nice Christmas and not worry about it.  Worrying definitely makes it worse.  So maybe it is anxiety.  By the way, I spoke with my ex-husband who has MS and he said that he never had the kind of symptoms I have.  He said in 85 his hands were totally numb for months and that moved into his stomach.  I remember b/c we were still married.  Then from 85-97 he had no symptoms at all.  The only thing he could say about those years was that he tired very, very easily when walking on the golf course.  We were still married and I remember him saying he could barely continue and he'd say he just couldn't take the heat.  So he thinks that was a symptom during those years and of course he didn't know he had MS at the time b/c he wasn't diagnosed until 1997.  In 1985 the doctor told him he had a virus but back then they didn't do any of the MRIs they do today.  So I guess once these tests come back normal it does help.  Who knows what causes these strange sensations.  We may never know and may have to accept its just how some bodies work.  By the way, Scanny and Whiteorchid i was so happy and relieved for both of you that your MRIs came back normal, too.  Can I ask how old the two of you are?  I have been reading the this perimenapause can cause tingling, too.  Well sorry to ramble but I just wanted to give you an update.  And once again it has to be encouraging for those still waiting for results to know that these feelings and sensations dont always mean something horrible.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.  Yes, as someone said, 2008 will be better for all of us.  Thanks to all as this forum has really helped me keep my sanity.  Peace to all.
I just found this thread.  I have been having all the same symptoms as you, buzzing in the feet and legs, the popcorn feeling in the calves tingling of the feet and hands.  I have been extremely anxious about this understandably, and can only focus on MS.  The neuro and all doctors feel its anxiety yet did order an MRI for my peace of mind.  I started anti-anxiety meds this week hoping it would go away, so far it hasn't... After seeing the results of all you folks were negative, I am feeling more reassured that mine will be negative too.  This has been going on for three months now and I would like to move on.  Still has been very scary!!   Glad most of you have this behind you now and can enjoy the holidays!
Hi again.  I must say the issue with my knees is what bothers me the most at this point.  the buzzing has diminished greatly and now its just feels like im standing on a piece of machinery.  very mild but very annoying.  the knees feel a bit tight and you can say jelly like but not week.  there is definitely some swelling in the back of the knees.  I know anxiety is definitely making the symptons worse.  And when i got frustrated with my left foot i figured exercise might help and i started running and doing things like jumping jacks.  A few days later the knee issues started.  So the knee issues may not be related.  Its a really frustrating situation.  My MRI is scheduled for this afternoon and ill post what i find out.  Its nice to know others have similar symptons and are ok.    
this thread just made me so happy to read...i have had ALL of the symptoms mentioned above for going on 2 years...what a journey...had MRIs, CAT scans, blood work, blah blah blah...docs think im crazy for sure...i have a very high end job in large office and i have to hide these symptoms (or at least not talk about them) so as no one labels me as a crazy hypochondriac...i have left side buzzing/heaviness/numbness in foot, leg, hand, arm, and face...muscle aches and joint pain...lymph node swelling (occasionally), shortness of breath, major back and neck pain, soreness in rib cage, hair loss...i could go on and on...but majority of neuro symptoms on left side...all of these symptoms come and go...i can be great for 2 or 3 weeks then BAM...back again...its so crazy..i've been on lexapro at one time and it helped with anxiety but made me feel numb, emotionally...anyway, good to know that you guys are out there....by the way, does anyone who has left side symptoms (or unilateral symptoms) experience the feeling that THAT side of your body has less feeling than the other side...like, if you pricked your left foot that it wouldnt hurt as bad as if you did your right?     this is all so very odd
I have been doing better with the buzzing/tingling.  It's pretty much gone which is weird.  It MUST be anxiety as when I start getting upset about something health related, etc, I'll notice my body sorts of revs up .  Thankfully I don't have it all the time anymore - it's died down quite a bit and I only notice the legs symptoms off and on.  I'm been exercising more and trying to keep busy.  My legs still "feel" weak at times, like my feet aren't touching the ground but it's really only perceived weakness.  I have the same thing in my arms/hands at times, but other times it's not really noticeable.  So, for others out there experiencing the same symptoms....it's possible it IS just anxiety.  I didn't think so, but I had an EMG on my legs and I have no neuropathy.  I'm still having neck stiffness and pain, but I'm working on resolving that...so that may be why I still have some lingering anxiety symptoms, but from where I was over the summer to where I am today... my symptoms are SO much better.  I hope that gives some people hope because I know how scary this can all be.  When you body isn't cooperating or doing what it should!  Good luck to everyone.
Also - I do still have some lingering dizziness (swaying type) where I feel a bit off balance.  It went away for awhile but now it's back.  Not sure if it's anxiety related or neck related, but it's very annoying and I have it 24/7 -- sitting, standing and laying in bed.  My pupils are also still slightly off -- not noticeable in bright light but when the room is darkened a bit, my right pupils is noticeably bigger, so not sure if that is what is making me off balance, if it's anxiety related or neurologic since it all started after whiplash.  Meeting with neurosurgeon this week to get this all straightened out, since all my other docs didn't seem concerned.  Although uneven pupils tells me SOMETHING happened whether it's serious or not.  Would just be nice to know why.  
Hi I'm back again!

Not doing to well lately been feeling really anxious again.  I have heard that you can still have a normal MRI and have MS and so now I'm back at square one!  

Still have the internal vibration feelings and so can't get it out of my head until they go.  I'm getting paronoid about everything even think that bending my neck makes teh vibrations worst but I don't have it down my spine so I don't think this could be Lhemitte's, well hope not.

It's interesting what Mbgolf said about the Menopuase because I've heard that before.  I'm only 26 but it feels worst when Im due on my period so maybe it could be hormonal.

Hi, I have read all the comments re tingling etc., I am just the same, been like it now for 5 months, some days are better than others, it started at the same time as the PVCs but I dont think its related, but I think the stress caused by them make it worse, its like all your nerve endings are screaming. Sometimes its hardly noticeable and other times its worse. Mine occur in both feet, but sometimes not both together, and sometimes my head is affected. I dont feel it very much when I'm active its mainly when i'm relaxing.
Been to Doc (UK) he doesnt think its neurological because I dont have any other symptoms, I'v had my eyes checked very thoroughly and they are fine. No problems with my heart PVCs are benign. I've had blood tests, thyroid, vitamin B etc and all are ok, I have to report any further symptoms but at the moment it seems to be down to stress!! It is hard in the UK to persuade the doc to let you see a specialist unless you pay, which I will do if things get any worse, at the moment I am trying to believe what he says, I have been under alot of stress for a few years but the trouble is I cant see anything changing in the immediate future.
Good luck every one.
Well i'm glad you all had negative MRI results, as I did too.  I have been told by my uncle and cousin who are doctors that sress and anxiety can cause all these symptoms(look it up on internet). I am going to relax the next couple weeks and go from there. I do already feel better that my MRI was good and bloodwork was fine, but have some symptoms still. They told me it takes a couple weeks so I will give it that then go for that.
I have started eating better and exercising more as my cholesterol levedl is high, and want to live better as I know have more of an appreciation for life.  Will see how things are in a couple of weeks. Take care all
Also all these doctors told me that the majority of MS patients have blurred vision and foot dragging( have part of body go completely numb and remain like that for a while)
Other symptoms can be from something else
My God, I'm so happy that I'm not alone!!! I've been experiencing all the above for 2 years now. Not sure if my history will help others here, but here goes. I have suffered from anxiety, depression and mild OCD's for as long as I can remember. Up until 6 months ago, I hadn't spoken of the emotional issues I've had, however now that I have 3 kids (3rd child born 2 years ago), I felt the need to see a Psych as I felt myself slip into another terrible bout of depression. He seems to think it relates to childhood abuse (non sexual), and he also diagnosed deep anxiety issues. And of course he's right! Now this is the interesting part. I mentioned that one of my "mild" ocd's was to count something that looked asymmetrical (in my head), and I would also co-ordinate my breathing with it, so yes, I had a "breathing ocd". I thought I was a complete nutcase until he said it is quite common and gave it the name of Hyperventilation Syndrome. He said it stemmed from anxiety, and in my case, from childhood, where I'd learned to breathe a certain way from ongoing stress and fear. He also said that long term anxiety issues affect seretonin levels in the brain, which all relate to depression and anxiety. Adrenalin is culprit as well when released in ongoing situations where there is actually no danger for the body to deal with.

So, to cut a long story short, I began having tingling and buzzing sensations in my feet not long after our 3rd child was born. I was extremely anxious with his birth as I had to have a c-section, of which I was completely terrified of and also had to be awake for, which only exasperated the situation. To add flame to the fire, the spinal block went a little wrong and they nearly lost me whilst awake.... it was nothing short of very, very scary as I literally felt the life drain out of me as my blood dropped to almost 50 systolic, and I have no doubt that this caused mild PND afterwards. Since then, we have had ongoing financial issues as we live semi rural Australia and there is a nasty, nasty drought going on here atm, so both hubby and I have been through the mill financially, emotionally and spiritually. As a result, I have had buzzing, humming in both feet that has gradually worked its way up the calf muscles, leaving a heavy, aching feeling at times (particularly in the morning), and it has since moved to my hands and forearms. Sometimes it feels like I have socks on.. can you relate? I have also felt tingling in the back of my head and toreso at times. To accompany these symptoms, I also suffered neuralgia and shooting pains on one side of the face (particulary when tired), and I have suffered fatigue, headaches, "headyness", dropping things, depression, anxiety etc. etc. The list just goes on and the symptoms are a mish mash of everything and anything. And the popcorn feeling under the skin, oh yeah.. I can relate! When I first spoke to my GP 9 months ago, I burst into tears about how I felt I wasn't coping with life in general and he diagnosed depression. After non drug treatment with a psych, exercise, debt consolidation and pay rise for hubby, I have felt better, however the tingling is still there and it gets worse when I think and worry about it. Like everyone here, all I can think is MS, MS, it has to be MS.. and then I come here and read all these other posts and I'm kind of relieved.

I'm booked to see the Dr on 13/2/07 and will go through the symptoms again, with the hope that he'll recommend an MRI for peace of mind, however, the commonsense side of me that really knows my body, KNOWS this is stress related.. just as my Dr initially dx. Does your history sound similar to mine? Do you suffer ongoing anxiety and depression? Do you have any form of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)? And, are you highly sensitive to bodily sensations and fixated on your health and mortality in general? Everyone is afraid of dieing, however there can actually be a "phobia" to it, which in turn causes anxiety and stress, as well as sensitivity to one's body. The "fog brain" that people mention is very much related to depression (amongst other things), and the more one worries about their health and mortality as such, the more the body reacts to those thoughts. Though creates action, so remember, the mind is a very powerful thing. Hypercondria is a very real thing and fits in nicely with anxiety and depression. We use only approx. 8% of our brain function, so what is the rest capable of? The other interesting thing is this. My symptoms get worse at night whilst relaxing, so going to sleep is an issue. Although in no pain, it's unnerving having this tingling feeling (no pun intended). Last night I just couldn't sleep and had to be up at 6.15am for a huge day ahead with the kids and family. I decided to do deep breathing in bed... well, not only did I find myself dropping off to sleep rather quickly, but the tingling was almost gone!

I hope this helps peoples as I have felt so alone until now. The forum is here to share stories and symptoms, so come on, get it ALL out and share them all like I just have!  

Thanks for taking the time to read my rather lengthy post and I wish only the best for you all. God bless.

I have had very similar experiences. Both my hands are continuously tingling and are numb about 50% of the day. My toes are numb only when I get really hot or when I wake up in the morning. The tip of my nose started to tingle. I have been to the Dr. and had blood work, which came back normal. I too am afraid it is MS. I feel like it is all I think about.
Jenny your sypmtoms can comne from many other thins besides MS. I am not saying do not get an MRI, because you should to make sure. However, having sad that thnking it is MS and freaking out actually make you feel worse (look up symptoms for stress and anxiety). I was so convinced I had MS that I told my friends and family this. I then talked to my cousins and uncle who are docvtors and they said they do not think it is MS. They were right, I had an MRI which was fine and my neurologist also said he did not think so. Usually with MS my colusin (an opthamologist) told me you will have blurred vision( over half the cases), where your vision will get blurrier and blurrier over a period of days. There is also foot drag(very coomon). This is where you get the feeling like a part of your body is falling asleep and usually it does. Or you might wake up or start walking and have a part of your body asleep without knowing.(The part of foot dragging). Numbness my neurologist told me when I woke up was due to sress or sleeping on a part of the body the wrong way. Tingling can be from many things such as stress, vitamin deficiencies etc...  I had tingling,numbness, shooting pains, pain in arms and legs that remained, some headaches, constipation, uneasy feeling in chest, some diziness, and other things. My neurologist checked my balance, rubbed a feather on my hands and feet to see if i could feel it and checked my muscle strength. If your musles are still strong and vision is find do not stress.
Hope this helps a little
I had My MRI last week and it was normal. I still have some muscle pains but tingling/numbness has almost gone away so I think stress(especially because MS comes up alot on internet since it has many symptoms related to it and will pop up for many things) was a factor.
take care and try to reduce your stress levels for now
To Sam,
Thank you for responding.  It is comforting talking to someone else who is going through a similar experience. I went to the Dr. yesterday and she is making an a appointment for an MRI. I guess I just have to wait and hope the symptoms don't get worse. I will TRY to relax.
Hope you are feeling better and trying to relax, yourself!
Jenny
To Sam,
Jenny
Hope things are better. If you want to share I would like to hear how the tests went. For me I do not think I have neurological problem. Right now I have found out I have GERD which can cause some muscle tingling, and ofcourse acidity causing chest pain. Also have cholesterol level of 7. Man only 31 and normal weight. Started eating alot healthier and exercising, see what happens.
Hi , been reading a number of the entries and finding that I have been suffering very similar symptoms. I too have had intermittent tingling / pins and needles in my hands and feet for a period of 6 weeks. In addition I have had difficulty sleeping, often waking up in the middle in the night and occasionally waking up with a numb hand. As of late I feel like the tingling has spread to my arms and legs. I have also been having muscular pains in my hands and arms which makes me think it could also be due to Fibromyalgia.

I too initially thought MS. I saw my GP who thought it was anxiety but referred me to a Neurologist who carried out blood tests (including test for diabetes), Nerve function tests and MRI- all came back normal.Whilst not ruling out Anxiety, he believes it is more likely to be Peripheral Neuropathy. I have a follow up appointment in  7 weeks.
Not quite sure what is causing it, but I know the symptoms are worse the more anxious I get.

I can't believe how similar all your stories are to mine and how different neuros all tell us different things.
I've had tingling, numbness, burning, face pain, cold spots, lower back pain, etc since June 2007.
Have had 3 mri's of brain and whole spine, and a negative L.P.
I was very concerned about ms, and today still am but not at the level that I was.
My neuro told me you can never rule out ms, even with normal testing, and he's been doing this for 20 years now.
He had 2 ladies with normal tests initally who then went on to have ms, and I've also heard many of the same stories on here also.
I'm to get 6 monthly mri's now, as everything else has been ruled out, so now he's looking for ms.
My first neuro told me I don't have ms due to normal brain mri, but that is not the case, many have normal tests in early ms who then go on to have something show at a later time. I'm not saying don't believe your neuros but keep an eye on your symptons, something has to be causing them, and if symptons persist after all testing is done, then go back and get checked again and again until you get answers.............
Got up this morning looking for answers to the questions you have all posed.  Going to Dr. today.  So, my symptoms begin at night, I have the hand and foot tingling/numbness and wake up at night periodically to get the circulation moving in my hand again and now that I think about it I think it is the left side too.  Have the same worries and have jumped to some of the same suspicions which have raised my anxiety level too.  Lots of stress lately with concerns re: kids and just got a HUGE promotion and "new" makes me nuts because I worry about my ability to rise to the occassion.  Nights are dreaded.  It starts then.  However, there are times during the day when I think that I am stress free but feel that I am in and out per say.  Like my brain is misfiring or something.  Almost like I could passout but that someone plugs me back in before I do.  Looking for ways to describe all this stuff has been interesting but have been assisted by all you have said.  So, hope we all have good reports.  God bless everyone as we look forward to Thanksgiving.  
OMG I am so glad i found this site, I suffered a whiplash earlier this year and have been dogged with all these symptoms since then (though i do think i have a trapped median nerve which i am waiting for nerve conduction test )I am also still trying to come to terms with the death of my mother earlier this year and am suffering from depression so all of this has left me in a very stressed/anxious state sending me off on a downward spiral.Finding and reading these post have been a huge source of relief and i can feel the tension lifting as i read so keep them coming it's my new form of therapy ......Again so glad i found this site. THANKS ALL !!!
About 4 weeks ago, I was sitting in a meeting at the office and thought someone that had their cell on the table was getting a call in vibrate mode. I moved my leg away from the table and deduced that it was me that was buzzing. Since then I've had an increasing number of experiences where my hands feel like they are buzzing. Coupled with being awakened during the night on average 6-8 times by my arms and hands going numb. It's not just mild numbness, it is painful and wakes me up. It takes quite a bit of time for "normal" feeling to return. Usually in the neighborhood of 5 minutes. On the worst days, it can take up to an hour for all feeling to return. I have Raynauds, but this I've determined is nothing like the symptoms or Raynaud's which I've come to know (and dread) very well. I had a thorough series of blood tests and am off to see my GP in a couple of days. I can sure relate to and empathize with each of you experiencing various forms of nerve-related issues. It can be very disturbing!
Best,
Gramps916
My younger Catherine was diagnosed with GUILLAIN-BARRE SYNDROME 10 weeks tomorrow.  5 weeks in hospital, in & out of ICU received IVIG then Plasmapheresis. Transferred to Rehabilitation Facility (Nursing Home) 5 weeks there.  Upper body strength improved, still tremendous weakness throughout body, but she cannot move her legs, stand, walk they still "do not work" as she puts it.  This is a bizarre disease/syndrome.  I spend many nights with her ... sometimes getting home at 2 or 3 in the morning then sleeping for a few hours and working all day.  I have read, researched, joined a foundation, brought a fully-recovered GBS patient to visit her.  I don't know what more to do?  I have read books, articles, researched and have a binder filled with literature.  I have read over and over that most patients fully recover but it can take days, weeks, months, even years.  With no determination as far as time and clinical evaluations such as "can you move your legs" .............. How/When would attending Neurologists determine paralysis as permanent?  This has not happened and I pray it never will; I never heard of Gullain-Barre and yet by talking about my sister I now know of FIVE people who have had GBS .... a woman at my church whose children I went to school with had this 25 years ago & I remember her being very ill but never knew what it was until now; a family friend's mom & uncle whom I never met; my co-worker's son who is only 26 years old whom I have never met and the wife of a friend of a friend.  Of those five - 3 fully recovered & 2 never walked again and are now in wheelchairs.  The 2 who did not recover are the youngest of the five persons.  How do they consider this a "rare" disease?  
Hi everyone,
my latest update is nerve conduction test ruled out carpal tunnel (expected result) the the dr was so helpful telling me that i had nothing to worry about and he actually read out my consultants referal letter to me which was all good news,he also recommended seeing an osteopath and having remedial massages (which i had already started doing beforehand but it was nice to know i was on the right track) i would recommend these treatments to everyone.
My symptoms were beginning to clear up nicely with all this over christmas but now they are slowly coming back which now on top of worrying me (even though the rational side of me says its a blip and not to worry) i'm actually starting to get angry with myself for allowing this to happen again.
Does anyone else go through these "relapses" if so got any tips on how to get back on track?
Again i'd like to say     LOVE THIS SITE, KEEP THE STORY'S COMING !
Hi All,
I have tingling in arms, face and left leg, also with burning sensations. I get occassional weakness in left arm that lasts only a few minutes, and also pain in left arm for no reason. Just had an appointment with  a Neurologist, he said ' he could not think of anything that could cause the symptoms and come back in 6 months if it continues, also he would not send me for any scans as HE did not know what was causing the symptoms'  I cant take Pregabalin as it makes me feel 'drunk'. So I have to wait for 6 months. The appointment lasted 7 minutes, I feel he either did not believe me, or could not be bothered to investigate. I am so frustrated and worried about the symptoms. Oh and forgive my user name, Fudge is my cat!
Lets see now:

muscle facsciculation  - shoulder, shoulder blade, thumb, forearm, calves, eyelids (above and below the eye), lips (upper and lower), cheek. buttock,sphincter (!), foot, lower back ( I expect my hair will start twitching any second now !) CHECK
numb arm, hand etc waking me at night - CHECK
headaches - CHECK
patches of numbness - calf, thigh, knee, side fo face, forehead - CHECK
pins and needles - fingers, feet, soles of feet - CHECK
twitches - thumb, big toe - CHECK
generalised "electrical" buzzing feeling (weird)  CHECK
Completely freaking out - CHECK
Inconclusive medical advice - GP, two neurologists, EMG  CHECK
Diagnosis - benign muscular fasciculation ( that is a description - not really a diagnosis), stress (funny about that), probably not MS, probably not MND. CHECK
No loss of strength, no loss of balance, no weight loss CHECK
None the wiser - CHECK

I think I am eligible to join this club - I should mention most of the above is one symptom at a time - usually pretty transient but it seems everyday there is some new and excitng twist. It seems that time will tell.

good luck everyone.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The brain is a small organ compared to the functions it controls all over the body. The brain and spinal cord problems can only be diagnosed based on concrete evidence on MRI/Scans etc.
If you have symptoms, which do not particularly point to a disease and also you do not have evidence in your scans/MRI then Neurologist cannot come to conclusion.
Symptomatic relief and treatment is what you can get, but with progression of symptoms and with more history there can be diagnosis.
Keep continuing the appointments and try to believe in your neurologist!
You always have a choice to visit another neurologist.
Take care!
Hi all,
Very interesting reading all your experiences and there really is a common thread here. My story is I started having numbing sensations in my arms and hands at night, about a year ago. Then I woke up one morning after heavy drinking and my wrist/hand was so numb i went to A&E which started my nightmare of visits to doctors and neuro specialists. I had MRI's of head, neck and spine and whilst these were supposedly ok, I just wasn't convinced MS was being properly looked into. After a lot of research and talking to some doctor friends unofficially, i found out that specialists cannot diagnose MS without following a lengthy protocol, which means needing to see the patient with repeat and strong symtoms (symptoms) at least 6 months apart, ideally a year. In my case I have no doubt the specialist knew what i had because he was so evasive and really couldn't answer my questions or look me in the eye after my MRI and of course the really big give-away was he made no attempt whatsoever to try and say what it might be if not MS (how obvious is that). So i was left to go away and continue with the symptoms - constant waking every night with numb limbs, pains, burning in hands and feet all the time. This will no doubt continue until the statutory time has elaspsed and i get another referral. This time i suspect the protocol will allow the diagnosis, but again the issue is that if there is any doubt whatsoever they will defer me again - the point being that they simply can't make an incorrect diagnosis as this will be worse for their reputation than no diagnosis (MS is terribly hard to diagnose as they all say), whereas the rules encourage them to say everything's ok until they are 101% sure (which probably means being carried in on a stretcher). I feel completely let down by the medical profession (not least as i paid to go private). I won't bother going back unless dragged in, but now just accept I have MS.
Simon, from England.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
When it is serious diseases and there are no diagnostic tests like: 1, 2 ,3 to prove and give concrete evidence the doctor depends on symptoms given by the patients and some diagnostic tools which are not complete by themselves. It becomes difficult but "all doctors accept that they cannot treat all the diseases". Some severe, major diseases treatment comes with experience and time and in difficult cases it is good to take the help of the seniors, experienced ones . You have the choice to consult the doctor of your choice. Lets hope that better diagnostic tools and better facilites will evolve with time. The fees thing should be controlled by government and if some system evolves it would be good for everyone. Take care!
I have been following this forum for a few months after developing tingling, buzzing, twitching sensations throughout my body. Sometimes my feet would burn, other times my hands and feet would tingle, yet other times I would have a constant vibration running through me. One of the worst things was the twitching in my legs. During this time, I quit taking Zoloft which made my symptoms seem worse. After three months of not taking Zoloft - I had only been taking 50mg three days a week - I started taking Zoloft again, 25mg per day and that seemed to help, but my symptoms still persisted somewhat. I was totally freaked out by all this and considered that it might be anxiety, especially when my symptoms worsed when my brother had a heart attack and coronary bypass surgery.

I kept searching and trying to find answers. I visited a my ob-gyn (I'm 52 and peri-menopausal), my psychiatrist who said I had the classic symptoms of Zoloft withdrawal, my internist who ran a lot of blood tests, but not B12/B6 levels, and finally a neurology who said I had neuropathy.

Then, something came to me. My symptoms started about two years ago but didn't get unbearable until a few months ago. Around that time, I noticed I didn't feel depressed and cut down my Zoloft. I attributed it to the mega-vitamins I had started taking. Those vitamins contained 200mg of B6. Although 200mg is not considered an overdose, too much B6 can cause the exact same symptoms I was having.

About two weeks ago, I realized this and quit taking my mega-vitamins. I feel so much better!!! The symptoms haven't gone away entirely and I think it takes a while for the nerves to heal, but I feel normal again. No longer am I constantly aware of the buzzing, tingling, etc. and worried sick about it.

It's probably too late for me to get tested for B6 because I've been off of it for a while, but for those of you who have these symptoms, consider that it could be your mega-vitamins if you take any.

Good luck to everyone. This is a scary thing to go through.
For the past few days I have a feeling of vibration(as if a mobile kept in vibration mode is in my hand) in my palm for a few secs. It is paroxymal. Before that I used to have some eye twitches and some here and there in my leg muscles. But nothing now. What should I do now?
Haven't been on this thread in awhile.  How is everyone doing?  My anxiety symptoms have lessened substantially but I still experience them once in awhile.  They are no where near the level they were at after my whiplash, but the memory is still strong.

Just wondering how everyone else is doing...??  

I just wanted to mention that I HIGHLY suggest magnesium for the muscle twitching, buzzing legs, overall anxiety, insomnia, headaches, etc.  This stuff is amazing.  Any brand works but I like "natural calm" that you drink like a tea.  

Obviously -- check with your doctor first to rule out MS or whatever but if it does come down to anxiety, magnesium is a must.  Anytime you go through any kind of stress, your magnesium levels are depleted very quickly.  If I had known about this stuff then, I truly believe I wouldn't have suffered so much.  Within days the muscle aches and twitching were gone.  Took longer for the other symptoms, but now I take it almost daily and can maintain a normal life.  

Anxiety (particularly post traumatic stress) can really affect your life -- people who haven't been there won't understand, but it almost ruined my life.  So, I just wanted to share what worked for me...meditation or exercise, magnesium/supplements and some sort of cognitive behavioral therapy.

Good luck...
You and I have a lit in common.  I am a 38 year old female with the same odd sensations.  My right hand falls asleep at night.  Pinky and next finger.  I awake and rub it off.  I get vibratory sensations on the bottoms of my feet.  I also have random muscle twitching in my biceps, calves, face.  I have ringing in my left ear that worsens with a head tilt left or chin pull back.  My blood work is normal.  My MRI of brain normal (no contrast).  My MRI of neck found a bulging disk at c5 c6, which could explain some of the hand numbness.  I am scheduled for an EMG this Monday to look for nerve damage.  MS unlikely per my neurologist as I am not experiencing weakness or vision changes.  Parkinson's was suggested by my primary, but neurologist doubting that as well as I am passing those neuro exams.  He is leaning toward metabolic issue.  I think I may inquire about a spinal MRI on Monday.  This has been going on since July 2009.  I take klonopin to help me sleep through the weird sensations.  I say it feels like I am vibrating or idoling.  Good luck with your MRI.  Stress makes me worse as well.  I have been posting on here as well.  Please post any results you may receive.  
I am a 41 year old female that has always had good health until about 3 years ago.  I started to get an awful dizziness when I turned my head as well as a numb patch on the top of my left foot.  I eventually went to the doctor about the dizziness because it kept coming back and he sent me for a cat scan which indicated I required an MRI.  This MRI came back with a largish "lesion" they call it, plus a brain cyst (they said that was nothing to worry about). They said they are were not really able to tell what the thing was but that to keep this MRI forever as a baseline.  I was told to come back the next year for another MRI.  My dizzy spells went away (mostly) and so I didn't go back.  Two years later I went to get some new glasses and had an eye exam.  After a field vision test (or some such thing), I was told that I have bulging optic nerve heads in both eyes.  I have had eye tests before and this has never been mentioned.  The optomistrist was very interested and took lots of photos with his new whizz bang camera.  He also sent a letter to my GP and off I went again for another MRI. This time the neurologist said that I still had the largish lesion (which hadn't changed) and another slightly smaller one and two tiny ones.  (He said the two tiny ones could well be caused by smoking.)  I still was told that they don't really know what it is.  He said I have to go back again in October this year for another MRI plus another eye test.  Problem is that over about the past 3-4 weeks, I have been getting tingling/buzzing/mild pins and needles in my left foot, left hand and the top of my spine, plus I am getting the dizziness back again a bit. Also, my vision seems to be deteriorating a bit. I don't really want to go back to the GP as I will just go back on the treadmill with no answer.  I also have hypothyroidism but I am on medication for this and it doesn't seem to effect me much now at all.  Does anyone know if the Hypothyroidism could be causing the tingling etc.  I don't know what to think.  Plus do Doctors not tell you something if it's going to be bad to try to save your feelings.  I think I'd rather know.
To those of you who have experienced "buzzing" in your foot I may have an answer.  I experienced the same thing recently and thought I was going crazy.  After coming to this site I realized I wasn't alone.  After checking with a few other sites I decided rather than try to diagnosis this myself I would check with my husband's chiroprator since is seemed to sound like sciatica.  When I described my symptoms to him, with no hesitation he told me it was definetly sciatica, a pinched nerve that was sending buzzing sensations to my left foot.  He started by taking an x-ray to confirm this, and I had my back "adjusted".  I felt great afterward and by the next morning  the buzzing was diminished.  I have had 6 "adjustments" in the last 2 weeks and the buzzing has all but disappeared.  I occasionally feel it but it is way less intense and it doesn't last long at all.  I don't know if this is the answer that will help you, but I thought I would pass this info along.  Maybe this will help someone else like it helped me.
Wow, interesting to see how many people have this sort of thing going on.  

I am a 33-yr old female.  My left knee (why is it everyone's left?) started vibrating about 3 days ago.  It'll buzz for a second then stop for a second, then repeat.  Rather annoying.  

If I swing my leg constantly it stops, but that seems to be the only thing - applying pressure or changing positions doesn't help... and I wonder if the swinging sensation just helps to mask the buzzing, as it is very, very light.

It's not constant, but when it starts it seems to go on for ages.
I am a 42 yr old woman with acute tinging in extremities and symptoms of acute infection( sorethroat and enlarged lymphnodes, malaise) with also burning sensations, twitching everywhere, tinnitis all starting 2 years ago.  All was lyme, and I am much better after a year of antibiotics. And yes my hands are no longer aslept in AM. Many of you probably have lyme. Best lab is Igenex, check it out on internet. Some people who have had lyme for a long time loose their ability to make antibodies, if you are one of them you need a CD 57 count by labcorp labs - the longer you have had lyme the lower that test will be. Normal is above 200,  chronic lyme usually lower than 100. I have been to 5 different lyme doctors none would trust a lyme test done outside of Igenex. Look at the author Amy Tan of joy luck club book,  website.  After she was diagnosed she was part of a study that sent documented lyme patients blood to random labs across the US, guess what? only half of the labs tested positive.  Get checked and see a lyme literate doctor( check ILADS website)   Lymey
My condition started about a year ago with a dull radiating ache in my feet that came and went. Noticeable mostly when inactive, sitting or lying down. Over the last year this dull ache has moved up to include (second) my hands, then forearms, lower legs. This ache is intermittent in as much as it will move around. When these wave-like radiating pains-aches occur it is both hands, legs, arms feet, ankles etc. at the same time. In other words it does not strike one but both at the same time with equal intensity. Driving me nuts. Over the last few weeks however, this wave of deep ache has now invaded my chest cavity as well as the extremities. I have always been a deep sleeper, but now I am awakened constantly with these wave like radiating aches, pains.
Doctor sent me in for a c-t scan and found nothing. Blood tests ok. I am 65 years old and other than back problems in the ciatiac have never had any major problems. Help
One possibility:

Magnesium deficiency can cause all matter of muscle aches and pains, and problems.

"Magnesium deficiency symptoms involving the peripheral nervous system include numbness, tingling, and other abnormal sensations, such as zips, zaps and vibratory sensations."

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
Michael Schachter M.D., F.A.C.A.M.
(Online article)
Interesting info,  I have similear symptoms, buzzing in my right shoulder muscle, tingling and pins and needles in my left big toe.  But what has becoming very concerning to me is a sensation of weakness in my left leg and foot,  It feels as though my left leg is shorter and when this happens I feel as though my left foot is slipping on something and it is harder to lift.  Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?
I have also been getting severe headaches and can't seem to get to sleep and stay asleep.
I work retail so am on my feet 8-9 hours a day and have done this for 15 years.  Maybe it is just taking its toll.  
Anyway, I am generally not a worrier but am wondering if I should be concerned.
I should mention that I have a slight case on hypothyroidism.
Hello Everybody! I'm new to posting here and this is my 1st  post.
I been reading all the post and can relate to the buzzing feelings. This is worrying me greatly. My sensations are just as described by most of you! It feels like theres a cell phone on vibrate mode going off.

I actually had a really bad anxiety attack because I thought I was dying or having a stroke. My legs were going numb almost to the point that I could'nt walk. At the hospital they rushed me in and gave me an MRI which came back clear. My blood pressure was extremely high. The MRI came back negative for the possibility of a stroke I informed my caretaker that I was stressed out due to financial problems. I was given an ativan and around hour and half later I felt clear headed and normal, all the numbing sub-sided.  I don't know if MS was considered when the doctors were viewing my MRI.

Diagnosis to my problem: Hyperventilation

Now that was the 1st time around --
The second time I started feeling these buzzing sensations was not like the time I went to the hosipital. What I experienced at the hospital was numbing.

Self diagnosis for myself after all I been reading is that don't rule any possibilities out of anything.
1. I am taking a self induced regimen of B-12
2. Moderate excercise to help improve blood flow
3. An ativan prescription to help control stress

I can't stand these buzzing sensations, they don't hurt but it's scary! I'll post back later to let you all know how it's going.

BuzzZZzzz...............

Have any of you taken levaquin, cipro, avelox, or any other Fluroquinolone antibiotic in the past? These drugs cause all of the symptoms you are describing. They can start while you are on the medication or weeks or even months later. The symptoms wax and wane, and can last for years. Please look it up - you will find many sites and forums discussing the side effects of these drugs. Good Luck.

I to have had weird sensations since 2004 I had a mri, emg, spinal tap , and some kind of eye test ...All come back normal.. I also tried going to a chiropractor .but I have heaviness on top of my left foot..a cuff feeling on my  left ankle and all kinds of sensations in my left hand that sometimes move up to my left neck and face. I have no clue what it is I gave up finding out ..people I ask seem to think its stress related.It can last all day or for min ..
I am a 32 year mother of 4 girls. I have been having muscle twitches and cramping in my legs mainly but also in my neck/throat muscles and arm muscles for 2 months. I also sometimes get arthritis type pain not every day but some days. When this all started I was really stressed and had a panic attack then after that one kept having them. Could panic and anxiety cause these problems and will they continue even though I am feeling not as anxious and have not had any panic attacks for about 3 weeks or so? I am so sorry for all the questions just really scared. I have not fallen or tripped over things but I do notice when I do alot the next day or after I am done my muscle become really tight and painful! Any suggestions? Thank you all.?
okay i'm very very knew to this but i'm 16. I have impaired glucose tolerence I just got diagnosed with it, but i'm a rough sleeper an today i woke up this morning and i have a bruise on the side of my arm but last wwek that same arm (my right ) my veins were hurting.  I'm very very stressed altely my dad fell from a tree broke 3 boens (our of the major 5) in his neck and ..we're just goign through a lot. today on the way to the hospital i've been feeling fatique, likie i get these weird feelings in my arms and legs liek tingling and i guess burning it's weird its so weird i took my Metformin and a banana cause i'm also low on vitamin D and calcium i have a history of panic attacks,and anxiety problems. I've been reading this site for a while and i'm also a little bit of a hypochondriac and i'm just getting more worried, if anyone could please help me and give me advice itd be greatly appreciated my email is ***@****.
I tried telling my afmily about my symptoms today but again everyones so down with my dad & I don't want to add to it unless it's serious i've gone to the hospital several times for my anxiety attacks and .. yeah. (I've posted this to another forum as well. But Just to be safe.)
Steve, I know its been a long time since your last post, but would you please tell me the results of your mri. I too have the exact same symptoms as you describe.
Hello all,
     I know how you all feel I'm 54 have had lower back problems for about 30 years now off and on and have had several steroid injections over the last 6 years. I last set of injections did not help when my left leg pain started up this go around in December of 2010. I have a deep burning, cramping and feels numb (but it's really not numb). It's starts in my left hip and goes to my thigh, calf and down to my toes feels like I have a large rock on the ball of my foot. It's hurts 24/7 nothing reliefs it nothing. I have had all kinds of test from my head down. I have had 3 MRI, EEG, cat scan, discogram, mylegram, xrays, have seen a hip specialist at least 3 neurosurgeons. I finally had 360 back surgery on L4/L5 in October 2011 but only made my leg/foot pain and numbness worse :( so now going through more testing just had a nerve trot injection in L5/S1 and have gotten a little relief in the thigh and calf but the tingle/numbness on my left foot is driving me nuts. So called my neurosurgeon today to let him know the injection has helped some and would like the second injection because they can give me up to 3 injection if I get some relief so now waiting for the dr offce to call me with the next . A lot has happened in my life this past past year the worst is the lost of my Mom passing so I know I have stress in my life. I guess the last thing I would like to say is if you have not seen a neuro you need to see 2 or 3 for their opinions I would never just take the word of one. I really like my doctor I chose and he did a wonderful surgery on my back but there is always a chance that it does not fix the problem. I had hardly tell I even had the back surgery. Oh and I did need the fusion a had a tear in one disc. They are sure something is pressing on my sciatica nerve but all the test have not shown where it has got tall the doctors that I have seen stumped. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know ASAP. Thank you all very much.
Roro
I dont really think I in the right blog. Im a commerical diver and I been experiancing those same symtoms (symptoms) for about 7 months. Ive been to any and all cans of doctors and no one can figfure this out. You said in your post that you weight train just wondering have you used any pure 100% oxygen with your train. Because oxygen toxicity can come in to play.
I also can relate to all of this. I'm 42 now bit symptoms began when I was 24. I went thru it all the tests, drs etc.  And always the end result was anxiety and I'm nuts.  After being mostly symptom free for 10 years it is back.  Of course I still had to have a full blown panic attack and ended up in the ER with my husband who os positive I'm still just crazy..  The ER of course said nothing was wrong with me after a load of test.  Which confirmed my husbands diagnosis.... He of course gloated the entire time. Anyways the last te all the symptoms flared up was right after I had my 1st son and went into a sleep deprevation and suffered extreme anxiety over my health.  Now this time (10 years later). We recently lost our home to foreclosure, my husband has lost his job and have gone from "middle class" to hoping we can get approved for food stamps, all in a matter of less than 2 years.
You have every reason to be stressed right now.  I'd be more concerned if you weren't stressed...then you'd be delusional!  I think you need to give yourself a break and accept that you're allowed to feel a bit anxious at the moment.
My pain is real but when the blood test and mri came back normal then doctors seem to ignore me about my pain. I  am glad that others feel the same as I have in my body. I learn that 5% of MS have normal MRIs. Everyone has stress and aniexty to some degree. I think when the doctors dont know what is wrong and just push it off to stress. When our symptons are not life threatening and we can contiue on our daily life with this they just seem like its not real. I went to the ER the other day and told the doctor what I was feeling. He said he would check my blood work. I was in the room about 7 hours when the nurse came in and said my blood work was fine and sent me home. I am getting worse. After reading that others have the same issues going on I relaly think we have something that no one had label yet or have a clear description to tell us what is wrong. Its hard when your blood test comes back normal and the MRIs are coming back normal but the issues are real and still there and doctors then push it as stress. Which my doctor did do that but he just doesnt know what else to do.  I was givenGabapentin to stop the burning sensations in my feel. It works temp. and able to walk without pain. But still no answer to what is wrong or how to treat it. I am thinking that until I get worse that they cant do anything about it until someone takes the time to figure out what is causing this. Wonder at times if it could be something like MS but at a lesser illness? Like a mild MS? Becasue my problems started months ago and now starting to effect my walking.
27 year old female. Anxiety issues,  not treating it with medications. Recently I've had bouths of tingling Ingram both my hands, dizziness, confusion,  angry. Feel drunk sometimes when standing up. Any thoughts?
Yes, Floxacin... drug reaction within 48 hrs. Switched antibiotics immediately but symptoms persisted for 8 months. After 4 years they have returned although not exactly as before. Symptoms are very much like those being discussed here. I'll wait it out and see what happens. This thread, if anything, has made me realise there is nothing to get worked up about. People are still discussing this topic after 5 years and I have yet to read anything definitive about cause or cure.
I'm a 34 year old Male, active normal weight, exercise 5 times a week.
Also chronic migraine sufferer, with past C5 disc rupture.  For the last 5 years, I'll sporadically have "dizzy" spells where i feel like I'm floating "out" of my body - usually last for 30-40 minutes.  I've had MRI's in the past (last one was 3 years ago which was normal, blood sugar, urine tests, and blood tests all normal), and and ECG in the last 3 weeks which was normal.

5 weeks ago, after returned from Zambia (where i took Mefliam malaria tables), i had a really bad dose of flu (2 weeks) and was on 2 courses of anti-biotics.  Then, 3 weeks ago  i starting experiencing intermittent pins and needles in my left hand (Thumb, index and middle finger).  It would get worse if i moved my arm in certain positions, and the whole left forearm would go "numb".   A week ago, in addition to the intermittent pins and needs, my left index finger has gone permanently "numb" / sort of a dead feeling.    Then about 3 days ago, i started getting an incessant itchy feeling all over my body - legs, feet, (right and left) and torso.  Again, the reading on the internet hasn't helped as one immediately assumes MS, Guillain Barre' or something serious, but this forum at least has shown me that there are many others with similar symptoms, and nothing serious.  I am seeing my Neurologist on Tuesday, for a check up, and hopefully some peace of mind! (Hoping that its somethign relating to my past slipped disc, Vitamin B deficiency or general stress/anxiety!)
I seem to have all the same symptoms including the gastric problems.
First time i noticed the vibration was in July when on holiday it stopped about a week after i came home and GP said it was nothing to worry about and all blood tests come back normal, due to have another one this week.
the vibration has started again in the last week i've noticed that these feel stronger when walking or if i step of a curb they tend shoot the whole of my body but only for seconds is this the same for you.
after reading all the comments i didnt find a satisfactory cure for all of us.one thing i would like to mention beside all the mention symtoms (symptoms) i feel my complextion has gone better.and please anyone gonna help me
I saw a commenter on a similar forum suggest taking an anti-histamine for the pins and needles.  I took one about an hour ago and symptoms do seem better. Not a cure certainly, but maybe worth a try if symptoms get particularly irritating. If you try it, please comment if it works for you.
i am going to give the anti histamine a try......i just spent the whole evening looking through the posts. i too am in a similar situation. i get pins a needles, tingling feeling in various part. i am feeling in my face, most recently, or am i imaging this?  sometimes my arms and legs feel weak. i also get numbness in the mornings. i am also scared about MS. i have gone for an MRI after bloodwork came  back normal. i am waiting for the results now.

I am happy I read this, I am having the same symptoms but they didn't start until after I had my 3 child. I strongly feel I had pstd from my birth as several issues came up, and my little one had to be in the nicu for 4 days. Since then my anxiety has been through the roof. I had palpitations and a severe panic attack that landed me into the er about 2 months after my delivery, only to have them say it was anxiety and that my potassium was low, which causes irregular heart beat, which causes anxiety to increase more so it was a viscious cycle, however, ever since then I have been so worried about every little sensation. I have not followed up with a doctor but I have always been healthy and palpitaitons and anxiety are heavily present in my family.

I have been so worried about little sensation and I have convinced myself that it is ms, even the other day I was drying off from my shower and I felt a my foot having a cold tingling sensation and I freaked out thinking for sure it was another nerve symptom only to find out it was just the faucet wasn't turned off all the way and some cold water was splashing into the tub and on my foot. My stress is high today and so my legs and everything just feel weird, then I grab a magazine to relax and guess what article was in it? A story about a marriage surviving through an ms diagnosis. I had to force myself to put it down becuase I feel like I have a massive obsession about it now. I am going to be following up with a doctor just to talk to them but everyone that I have talked to are convinced it is anxiety, and it makes sense because I am worried about every little thing now. So I am glad that someone else started having the same symptoms after a traumatic delivery.
Like a lot of you, I've had tingling hands and feet. Slight vibration. And numbness with outside fingers at night. Here's what I think I've boiled it down to--after having blood, nerve tests, reading all the stuff on the Internet, getting through my "I'm gonna die of MS or ALS" panic, etc.

1. Stress. It adds a ton. It exacerbates all the symptoms. PTSD is a real thing. Anxiety is real. It all impacts our breathing, whether your concious of it or not. Catch yourself sometime when you are anxious. Feel your body tension and make note of your breathing. I bet it's either labored or extremely shallow. Breathing impacts O2/CO2 mix in blood. That impacts PH balance. PH impacts nerve senstaions.

2. Caffeine. I love coffee. I cut it out. Not sure if it's the caffeine or not.

3. Sulfites in wine. Got a couple of cases of 2 buck chuck over the past couple of months. It coincided with my symptoms. Might be the sulfites toxins.

4. Ergonomic. I think this is the biggest one for me. I spent the last 3 months in various coffee shops plowing away on my laptop. How do I sit? Forearms resting on the edge of the table for hours at an end. That's right where the ulnar nerve runs. EMG test showed some slow nerve condcution near the elbows. I've compressed that nerve and pissed it off. Hence tingling in hands and numb fingers at night. While sitting I also cross my feet under the chair at the ankles. When they get tired I switch one foot on top of the other. That's right where the nerves in the feet run. Again, pissed off nerves result in tingling feet.

5. Night time sleeping  position. Google it and read how to use pillows correctly to support your spine.

6. I jumped into the supplements. Added a B-50 complex. That's 2500% of B6 that my body needs. B6 toxicity pisses off the nerves. I cut all the supplements out. I don't take them when I'm healthy. I'm 50 M and in great shape. Been exercising all my life and eat well. I get all the V&M I need from my diet. Supplements may overload me when I don't need them.

7. Dental filling. Had a lot of them as a kid and adult. Now they are naturally switching over to crowns. Just got rid of one that had a crack in the tooth. All symptoms subsided for about 3 days.

I'm not sure which of the above is helping me the most. But I'm doing all of them or switching so I'm no longer irritating the nerves and my symptoms have improved a ton. I have a Lyrica script from my doc that I've been sitting on for a couple weeks. If my improvement halts and goes backward, I'll try that. But I'd rather not. My body knows what is best. I haven't given it the respect to work with it. So that's my plan.

With B6, I meant that my body DOESN'T need. took too much.
Can you please tell me if you have come to any conclusion. PLEASE
i have a similar thing and im pregnant its circulation and also could be pinching a nerve somewhere. best way to tell if you see white dots on your skin your circulation is bad also if u suffer with siatica like i do this can happen to. :)
Very good response! I am all alone in a new city and experiencing lightness of my hands and knees, no pain i can still grip things and I think its mostly motivated by stress. your response made me feel so much better!

Thank you!
hello, i'm hoping this finds your circumstances improved. the timing of your symptoms makes me wonder if you have a hormone imbalance. the birth of your child as well as being 42 (this puts you in the peri-menopause age) a common symptom for perimenopause is anxiety. I don't know what helps this as I am experiencing peri myself. However, I am taking low dose estrogen birth control and this has helped with some anxiety. there has also been some evidence that soy products and a gluten-free diet can have some benefits.
be well
I have these symptoms, the doctor told me it is anxiety, I walked out of the office did a blood test and found out it was a B-12 deficiency. A Vitamin B-12, B-6 and D3 deficiency can cause these symptoms. You need to take a B-12 supplement w/ methylcobalamin not cyanocobalamin or shots.
I wish I had discovered the thread earlier.  
I have been having tingling in the feet, cold feet, sore burning soles, numbness in the toes which curl sometimes like a claw.
It has been like that for 3 years. I had a tick bite with Lyme Disease and didn't realise for 6 months, so it may have had neurological impacts.
I have been through every test imaginable this year including a 9 day stay in hospital.  They can find only a bit of age-related degeneration in the spine. So what is it? Expensive doctors have said:
1. Very tight muscles around lower back. I am an editor and sit in one position all day. So physiotherapy to wake the back up, targeted yoga to stretch the muscles in the lower back.
2. Shoes insoles to overcome flat feet (I have metatarsalgia).
3. Neurontin till it all resolves.
Results - yes, wow. Much much better. Has taken 12 hours of physio. The connection between lower back and feet is major, though I didn't believe them when they told me. Yoga every night (down dog) , stretch muscles gently, improves sleep too. Getting up and moving every hour away from my computer.
I have incidentally discovered that the more caffeine the more pain.  Plus caffeine wires your brain and makes you anxious. Even a glass of coke and some pain comes back.
My recommendation: what you're suffering may not have one cause. You may benefit by some physical therapy especially yoga. Look on Web for exercises against peripheral neuropathy. These work. Cut caffeine out gradually and then stop. More sleep, gentle exercise, maybe six months and you'll see a difference. Don't give up. No quick fix.