Neurology Community
tingling/electric-like shock feelings in arms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have had strange tingling/ electric like shock pain for three weeks now.  History: Dx with Thyroid nodule 2 years ago, but it dissipated and I was never on medication, healthy 42 year old, I am not over weight, but I don't really exercise, I don't have any health problems except for now and I have been allerigic to penicillin, since I was a child. Three weeks ago, I had a mild fever for two nights, two days later, I broke out in a sunburned rash all over my trunk, arms, face and legs and had electric-like shooting pains down my right arm.  Went to doctor he gave me predisone and a steriod shot. The rash went a way, but the pain moved down to my right shoulder blade and to both arms.  I went to the ER.  They ran tests, gave me Erythymicin and hydrocodone (which I did not take) and sent me home. Two days later, pain continued and then my joints, in all parts of my body ached severely.  Also, I started breaking out in a different type of rash with the Predisone and Erythimicin, so I was told to stop taking both medications.  I went to my primary doctor two days later, they did test after test, no strep, red blood & white blood cells looked good, they were baffled. They even had me see a chriopractor.   Everything came back good, they gave me a pack of steriods, that decreases daily, and I felt normal again.  However, the last day of the meds, the tingling, achey (achy) pain came back to both arms.  I also feel better when I am moving around.  Sleeping is the hardest.  Also, I forgot, I had swollen lymphnoids (only in my arm pits), very strange.  I am off to see my endocronologist, my OBGYN, and the referred me to a Rhumetoid Arthritis doctor and.... of course, I am waiting for more blood work results, hopefully by tomorrow.  After all of this information, MY QUESTION - Have you heard of Nueritis?  One doctor said Nueritis could be related to my thyroid?  They also said it could be MS or Lupus?  Any information will be helpful.  Thank you!
Tags: Arthritis
Hi, Thank you very much for your question. Most likely possibility is Cervical spondylosis or pinched nerve in cervical spine or arm itself in which pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck.  Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!