Neurology Expert Forum
tingling in neck from ear to shoulder

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

tingling in neck from ear to shoulder

My husband has  tingling, that is intermittant, going from back of ear to near the clavicle on his right side. It occurs every day for about 6 months now.  He is being seen by a primary VA doctor, but it is a very slow process and the first thing they are going to do is an MRI in about a month.  He  states that it is a very annoying sensation and comes and goes very rapidly.  I would appreciate any information as what it might be.  Thank  you very much.
Tags: Neck, tingling, MRI
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from your husband and examine him, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Tingling sensation or pain that radiates from the ear to the clavicle can be associated with a muscle called the sternocleidomastoid muscle. This muscle is important rotating the head to the left or right and also flexing the head forward. Many of times when this muscle is strained it may cause symptoms such as dizziness and headache. Treatment options for this include physical therapy, medications, behavioral therapy, and other modalities.

Is the MRI of the cervical spine? I would recommend that this be performed to examine the nerves as they exit the spinal cord and also examine the discs that are between the vertebrate. Additionally, one sided tingling or pain may also be secondary to a tear in the blood vessels that run up the neck to the brain. This can occur spontaneously in people with certain conditions that affect the blood vessels, after neck trauma, or after chiropractic manipulation of the neck. The pain is often but not always associated with some sort of neurologic deficit as a dissection can often lead to a stroke. A dissection is diagnosed with a specific type of MRI test (MRA with fat saturation) or a CT angiogram.

I agree with following up with a physician for this. Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.