Neurology Community
tingling/numbness in upper to mid back

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

tingling/numbness in upper to mid back

so about a week ago while I was bent over washing my face in the morning getting ready for my day I felt a pain in my mid back and a few seconds later after I stood up from my chest down my body began to go numb. it stayed like that for a few mins after I made my way slowly back to my bed to lay down until it went away. I later went to the doctor that morning and he said there was no sign of my spine out of place or messed up or anything like that and he thought I might of had a back spasm. The thing I dont understand is how a back spasm could cause an alomst complete body numbness. I know have tingling and some pain in my upper to mid back. I am a 20 year old hispanic male and about 5'9 and 220 lbs can someone tell me what might be the problem or was it really a back spasm like my doctor said?
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Excluding spinal injuries and causes, possibilities that may need to be considered include peripheral nerve impingement secondary to muscle spasm, postural issues etc. If the episode recurs you may consider an evaluation by an orthopedician or a neurologist for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!