Neurology Expert Forum
tingling/numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

tingling/numbness

About 3 years ago I was referred to a neurologist because I had muscle fasiculations and a strange feeling in my legs.  An EMG EEG ECG and CT scan of the brain were done and all negative.  At that point I asked if he thought it was MS and he said it was unlikely.
About 3 months ago I started to have tingling in both of my feet (bottom sides only).  This does not happen when I am laying flat, only when I am sitting, and I have not noticed it when I stand.  I also have a strange sensation in the arches of both feet.  I have no muscle weakness and I actually feel better when I workout at the gym.  

I am wondering about the following:
Could this be MS?
How common is it for MS to manifest itself without weakness, or vision problems as a symptom?

Thanks for your help!
Dear Steve:

One can never say never in medicine.  But I would say that your symptoms do not have the MS flavor.  If you are experiencing fasciculations over 3 years ago, you should have detectable muscle weakness by this point.  The CT scan is not a sensitive test to detect demyelinating lesions, but if you had moderate to severe you should have seen changes (you would have if the fasciculations were due to MS).  Although we have seen MS begin with parasthesias, it is more uncommon.  I think I would say that MS is very unlikely in your case.  However, if you are still worried, you could ask to have a sample of CSF fluid analyzed for oligoclonal bands, IgG synthesis, MBP levels, and kappa chain levels.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Dear Doctor,

I am confused about neuropathy.  Basically MS has been ruled out, but I have numbness and tingling, buzzing, etc.  Lower legs and other parts of my back, buttocks, etc.  Muscled cramps and spasicity in lower legs. Have lost all reflexes that were normal before. Paraneoplastic syndrome, diabetes, you name it has been ruled out.  Is it possible to have neuropathy without the burning and pain and just have numbness and tingling?  Also, how hard is it to find the cause, my doctor said it could be neuropathy, but they would like to know what is causing it.

Thanks for your help.
Approx. 3 months ago my father(65 years old and in excellent health) experienced lower back pain.  Within 10 days he was completely paralyzed from the waist down and experiences numbness up and down his trunk periodically.  He is still in hospital and the only diagnosis (after two neurologists) is an unusual low B12 level.  He is now on a cathetar and gives himself bowel self stimulation.  He has had three MRi's, cat scans, spinal taps, EEG.  He went thru 6 weeks of rehab and came home for 10 minutes and immediately had what we thought was a stroke, but was diagnosed as a focal seizure.(he has never had a seizure prior to this).  That was three weeks ago and he is still in hospital with absolutely no movement in legs.The seizure seems to have taken his paralysis back to the beginning.  He is presently getting a steoid drip to "jump start" the legs and get back into physio therapy.

Could all this be possible due to B12.  Is it permanet?  It seems so unusal and very difficult for all of us to accept.  Should we take him to a larger city for move testing.  The doctor has jokingly said, "short of an autopsy, there is no other tests to perform."
Dear Steve:

Now you tell me that you have no reflexes amd muscle spasticity.  Is this another posting from someone else or is this new information?

CCF Neuro MD
Sorry about that,  the muscle thing is a new question from a new person.  It is my question.

So sorry,

Marianne
Dear Marianne:

The symptoms you describe are not normal.  Some of the symptoms indicate that you have some sort of upper motor neuron disease (spasticity).  This means that there is something going on in your brain or spinal cord.  Other symptoms you describe are lower or perpherial nervous system related (no reflexes). Since spasticity and absence of reflexes are not the normal combination of findings, I would seek another opinion from a good neurologist. You need to get a proper exam and further work-up.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I have read that prickles in a hot shower (or any hot enviornment) can be a sign that you have MS.  Is this true?  Is there any other explanation for prickles that run in hands and feet during a hot shower?  None of my other  symptoms seem to worsen after the shower.

Dear Steve:

Yes, they can be a manifestation of MS.  However, they just may be sensitive nerve endings.  In your case, with a normal exam, muscle strength-wise and normal MRI I would vote for the latter.  One can find a symptoms for almost anything if you try hard enough.  That is not to say, what your experiencing is not real, it likely is.  However, it is likely not MS.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I thought I have been to two very good doctors, all mri's are ok, labs ok, and the emg had jitter in two areas of eyelid.  Spacity in the lower legs would be stiffness, please correct me if I used the wrong word, they stiffen up and cramp in the evenings usually.  They gave me baclofen for it and it helped. What else could possibly be implicated by those signs if you do not mind me asking?

Thank you for your help.

Marianne
last question!

The hot prickles do not occur everytime I have a shower, but they do occur.  I can also workout at the gym and get them only in my hands while I do a very intense cardio workout on the stairmaster (never anywhere else).  I golf and roller-blade on hot & humid days and never get them.  

Sorry to follow-up again, I am just very concerned.

Dear Steve:

I don't think you have something that is serious (physical danger of a profound disease) as in MS.  I would just watch and see if the frequency increases, and if it does, go to your neurologist.

CCF Neuro MD
I am interested in finding out what I can about Neurontin and its uses and possible side effects.  My mother has had burning and numbness in her feet for years.  It has now gotten so bad that she can hardly walk and has had to change her lifestyle.  The neurologists say she has neuropathy and that there is no cure.  They say now that they can relieve the symptoms and have prescribed Neurontin.  She is working her way up to a dose of 2700 mg./day.  We have been advised that there can be some problems with taking Neurontin however, and I am inquiring to find out just what these problems can be.  She is experiencing the wooziness from the Neurontin but has been told that it will pass when she is used to it.  Are there dangerous side effects that we should be aware of??
Dear Sue:

There are few side effects to neurontin, usually the most complained about one is athenia or fatigue/tiredness.  This is the reason why we usually progress slow on the medication.  Neurontin has been shown to work very well for parathesias.  There is nothing that is real dangerous that is common.  Most of the real dangerous things are extremely rare.  Actually 2700 mg/day is a low dose.  I have pushed the dose to 7500mg/day for pain control in some cancer patients.  I hope yourmohter is helped.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I have a question-About 3 wks ago I started getting a tingling down my left arm.  Happened 10-12 times that day. Called the ER and they said if no chest pain probably not heart related. I waited for 3 days and called my family Dr. He sent me to a Neurologist. MRI was ok, EEG showed  up as abnormal. Said the right front and back of my brain showed a slowing.  She tells me she thinks I have simple partial seizures. She has done no blood work only the MRI and EEG.  I am fighting taking the Tegretol that she has given me to start.   Could this not be a pinched nerve?  If I bend  forward at the waist or put my head back or to the side is when I notice the tingling the most.  Is there not some other tests that can be done to be 100% sure before I start on the anti-seizure medicine.  I am scared to death to start this medicine if they aren't 100% sure. Everything I read says that by taking this medicine and not really needing it can actually cause you to start having seizures even if you weren't before.  I am so confused on what to do and what to ask my Dr to do.
Barb,
I've taken Tegretol 800mg daily for 12 years. You said your EEG was abnormal, my doctor told me I face the same kind of seizures yours told you. My family doctor said no. When I told this to my Nero, he ask me what the doctor was trying to tell me.  My family doctor looked at my problem as mental illness. My nero. laught, so I asked him is there a chance the EEG could be wrong and it is not seizure related. He told me flat out no an abnormal EEG tells the story. If you find this to be different please re post and let me know.
A friend
Dear Barb:

Go see a neurologist who specializes in epilepsy.  Slowing on an EEG does not mean you have epilepsy.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro  MD
My mom has had tingling, aching in her hands for a couple of years.
The only time it doesn't hurt is when she sleeps. It doesn't matter what the weather is. They just hurt all the time. Her hands change colors like they can be blue or red. The doctors have just perscribed neurotin.What do you think is the problem?
Dear Mary:

It is impossible to give you an accurate diagnosis over the internet.  What you describe could be a collagen vascular disease.  I would check with your physician about your mother.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I'm writing out of concern for my father who at 46, has been experiencing a strange numbness in various parts of the body for the past 3 years. This has worsened over time and he now has no sensory perception (other than that of mucular mouvement), in the hands, feet and head and reduced feeling in the face, arms and legs. Doctors first thought that he had MS, but a negative MRI test ruled that out. Just yesterday, he went again to the neurologist for more tests, this time of his sensory nervous response system, and the doctors had a wierd shock. There was absolutely no response. The specialist was dumbfounded and thought that his machine was not working properly, so he called in another specialist to test it on him. Everthing was in order and a second test on my father gave the same startling results. Is this normal? Both specialists admitted to not having encountered this type of reading before. All they could say was that they thought it might be a rare hereditary neurological disease and they are sending my father off for more tests.I , on the other hand , fear that it may not be neurological at all, but rather circulatory, as there have been cases of strokes (I had a mild one myself at the age of 20) and a rare circulatory disease in our family. If you have any suggestions as to what this might be, please let me know.                           Thank you.
continued from Thurs. Nov. 18th, 1999
The doctors are now calling my father's condition sensory neuropathy. After reading up a little on it I find it to be a rather broad topic which still lacks to explain the why and how of my father's suffering  and whether or not it is , in fact, hereditary. If you have any more specifics on sensory or peripheral neuropathy, I would be grateful especially concerning any longterm ramifications.    Thanks again.
continued from Thurs. Nov. 18th, 1999
I have just been diagnosed with cidp.  Sarcoidosis, Lymes Disease and MS have been ruled out.  I have had MRIs and CT scans of most of my body.  I have had disc surgery twice and my neurosurgeon agees with my neurologist's diagnosis.

I have numbness in both feet and legs with the left being worse than the right at this point, but the numbness is gradually moving up my legs.  My finger tips are now becoming numb.

Is there any new treatment for cidp?  I really don't want to take steroids because ofr the side effects which seem to be worse than the disease. I also would like to know how fast this disease progresses and is there a chance for remission?

Thank you.
I started having pain & burning in my right shoulder blade almost 2 yrs ago.  I went to the doctor when my pinky and ring fingers started feeling numb and my elbow ached.  After 3 visits, they said I had carpal tunnel syndrome, though no tests were done.  After about 8 months, all symptoms disappeared until about 2 months ago.  Now along with all the above in my right arm, the beginning of these symptoms in my left arm, I am concerned.  My own dr. sent me to a neurologist, she took x-rays and ordered nerve testing, though I have yet to be tested.  Now my neck, shoulders, and lower back ache all the time, and I have a headache that won't go away, heat and motrin help alot.  I think the doc is looking in the wrong direction but I don't know enough to ask her to look somewhere else.  Any advice or ideas about what is going on would be greatly appreciated.
Dear Shawn Johnson:

The distribution in your hand would indicate that it is your ulnar nerve and not your median nerve (carpal tunnel).  There are many entities that can give you the symptoms that your describing.  There are any number of ways to investigate these, and your neurologist is beginning the process with an EMG.  This is appropriate.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
I am a 62years old. About six mounths ago I was working in a large plant walking from frount to back on my last trip to the frount I had to stop walking and sit down the calfs in both my legs hurt so bad and I could not move. I sat and rested for about 15min and the pain was gone. Starting the next day  had numness and tingling and my calfs stay so sore. Went to my doctor and he said it may be buerger's desease, and put me on a pill called platel and tested my blood flow, the test came out good now I have pain in borh legs from knee down burning, numbess, I can stoop down now and have a hard time getting up. I was sent to have the nerves checked in my legs test showed I have nerve damage in both legs the left is worse. I am taking Neurontin 100mg three times a day , this has been seven day with no improvement. I am to the point where I cant hardly get around. Can any body give me any input about something like this.ps b-6 and b12 ok, surger ok,
Dear Mr. Williams:

The dose of neurontin your on is very low.  I would talk to your physician and see if you could raise it to at least 300 three times a day.  What did the EMG show? Was it a demyelinating disorder or neuron block?  There are many things that can cause a neuropathy and I would suggest that you talk to your neurologist.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR I HAVE HAD A PROBLEM WITH MY FINGERS GOING NUMB USUALLY IT IS AT THE TIP. THE TOP PART OF MY FINGERS CAN BE WHITE WITH NO CIRCULATION AND THE BOTTOM WILL BE RED.  AFTER THE NUMBNESS GOES AWAY THE TOP OF MY FINGERS THAT WERE WHITE TURN PURPLE THIS USUALLY HAPPENS WHEN I AM COLD IS THIS NORMAL OR WHAT CAN I DO
My 12 yr old son initially was diagnosed with post-concussion symdrome after bicycle fall Oct 31st.  No unconciousness that was noticed by friend riding with him, although he seemed somewhat dazed at ER for stitches in arm.  Bike Helmet looked okay except for few light scratches. He seemed pretty good for a few days and the headaches began. He would sleep hours longer than usual although we expected this from a possible concussion.  Headaches were persistant and continual.  Sleep would help along with Tylenol 3 or Lortab 3.5 per dr.  He then would awaken 2-3 hrs later crying in headache pain.   ER (Primarys Childrens) in SLC, UTAH treated him throughout this ordeal.  IV  Demerol helped until it wore off. for the next 2 weeks headaches became worse as well as a feeling of "something in there that needs to get out".  Numbing on rt part of face began as well, beginning on RT part of tounge.  Numbing has gone from most of RT part of face to just the chin area and back again to RT area temple to chin.  CT Scans performed.  I persisted until pediatric neurologist was seen.  All seemed like post concussion except the numbing.. I finally was able to get the MRI done.  MRI with dye showed a growth - SCHWANNOMA - last week and neurosugeon appt made right there at Primary's Childrens through the neurologist for this Tuesday. ( I do have a question coming.)    I have read up on various schwannomas although they are not SURE that is what it is.  They think the bicycle accident triggered the headaches.  The tumor is outside the brain right on a bone that has grown differently which now pushes on the RT CRANIAL VII nerve?  I guess its rare to see in kids.  My son has lost weight and is
pastey looking.   He is up playing basketball for 2 hours then the next minute in his darkened room for days. Can't read due to headaches nor school.   Is there more help I can please get?  I feel like he should go to the best possible surgeon but don't know the "top ten."  I cannot find out any info re: Dr (John Kestle) at Primarys.  What can I do if he doesn't treat him this week?  I am out of Imitrex which helps, he's on NEURONTIN 2OOMG 3X DAY & can increase if neccessary.  He describes its as "a tool going into his head that opens up and clamping down on a muscle or something and then closes and pulls - over and over for a few minutes then is gone.  This now is happening several times per day - pain worsens.  Lower left back area around kidney straight into front of body now makes him cringe.  Don't think a a bowel problem.  Can you help me find more info and the best place to go?  I try to be accertive with the drs but most have very little time to really listen.  Please email if you can.  I hope as they say it is to be benign.  I appreciate your time and website.  
Dianne  
Dear Dianne:

First, I trained as a medical student at Primary Children's and they have good pediatric neurologists.  I would trust their judgement.  I do not think that the schwannoma and headaches are related.  The headaches do sound more like a post-traumatic headache.  These are difficult to treat.  You are on a very low dose of neurontin and this might be raised for the headache.  We do not usual give demoral to children with head injuries as it is a central stimulant.  Is the schwannoma in the CP canal or is it in a different location.  Schwannoma is a very slow growing tumor and has probably been there awhile.  There should also not be abdominal pain, unless something else happened during the bicycle accident he injured his abdomen.  Did he flip over the handle bars? or what?  Secondly, this is way to far out from the initial event to be the accident.  I am not sure what to make of all the symptoms.  It sounds like there are many issues that need to be addressed.  What does your pediatrician say?  Immitrex is a migraine medication that should only be given twice a week (usually).  The other medications can be addicting and also if they are narcotics can cause bad constipation (is this happening to your son giving him the abdominal pain).  What is needed is a captain of your son's medical ship.  Too many cooks spoil the stew and frequent ER visits certain can give too many cooks.  I would start with the pediatric neurologist.  Have him/her begin to oversee all the medical care.  Stop all unnecessary medications.  Begin with controlling the headache.  I would stop the narcotics, stop the demoral, raise the neurontin.  Revist the MRI and have a second opinion concerning the schwannoma and the reading of the results.  Dr. Anne Osborn is at the U and she might be a good resource.  (Actually, she wrote on of the better texts in neuroradiology).  

That is how I would recommend things to progress.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
My hands go numb quite frequently.  Also I have a hard time sleeping because of numb toes.  If I stand up and stomp my feet it helps a little but as soon as I lay down, it comes back.  I was wondering if this could be peripheral neuropathy.  I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but I do have hepatitis b core antibodies in my blood plasma.  Also, at one time I was on the verge of liver damage due to prescription medicines and tylenol.  I have not had my liver tested in about a year but I'm not taking alot of medicine now.  I am 42.  Hope I have given you enough information. Thanks.
Dear Donna:

There can be a number of etiologies of what you describe.  From the hepatitis virus itself, to the medications you are taking, to the diet that you are on.  I would see a good neurologist and begin the workup for possible etiologies.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
For the past few years I have been experiencing night-time numbness and tingling of my right hand (thumb, index and middle fingers) during the Fall and Winter months.  This year it has been particularly bad with no relief for several hours each night and there is extension of a dull tight pain above and below the elbows and in the upper right arm and the tingling sensation may even extend into the right side of my back.  During the day too my right hand feels tingly and there is a dullness in the entire arm.  Sometimes, this also occurs in the left hand and arm, although not as severe.  My GP referred me to an osteopath who diagnosed carpal tunnel syndrome.  I am not convinced of this diagnosis as the symptoms appear to be seasonal.  This winter I began experiencing strange clicks and pains when I moved my neck and an X-ray showed changes consistent with osteoarthritis.  I have always been prone to numbness when I cross my legs.  I wonder if there is a circulatory problem or what other differentials need to be entertained before i agree to surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Dear Ms. Gupta:

Your symptoms have the flavor of carpel tunnel syndrome.  If you are unsure, then see a neurologist and see if you need an EMG to confirm the diagnosis.  Mild degeneration would not give you these symptoms and depending on the x-ray it might be difficult to tell if a cervical lesion would produce your symptoms.  A thorough neurological exam would help matters.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
With carpal tunnel syndrome does one have pain and numbness only in the wrist and hand area or can this affect the whole arm?
Dear Joanne:

This is off the topic of MS.  No, carpal tunnel is usually just the hand and fingers.  If your whole arm is involved then there is something else going on.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Is anyone feeling the "Pins and Needles" all over their body for periods of 1-4 hours?.  I have felt this and alot of other strange feelings like a constant foggy feeling and problems with focusing/concentration, fatigue, feeling like my bladder is full all the time, etc...  has anyone else felt this?

--Any advise would be very helpful

Dear Roberta:

Hope someone answered you back.

CCF Neuro MD
CCF Neuro MD,  I thought you would be able to help?...
Lately my fiance has been complaining of a "weird" feeling all over his body. He stated that the other day when he was in the store, his body felt tingly, kind of numb, and he felt like he was going to pass out.  Then the symptoms subsided.  He's complained quite a bit lately about numbness in different parts of his body.  Of couse, he WON'T go see a doctor.  Any suggestions besides getting him to a doctor, and if so, what kind of doctor?  Thank you.
In Dec.1998 I went for walk and when I got home my right  hand had swelled.  A few weeks after that I got tingling in my hands and feet.  This lasted through the winter and then went away.

In December of 1999 the tingling and some burning in my feet  appeared.  The only time the symptoms appear is when I am sitting still, lying still, or standing perfectly still.  If the symptoms start I can rub my feet or move and I can't feel it.  I also thought I was having some blurred vision in my left eye.  I went to a nurologist and he did all the possible blood work, and MRI, and a vision test that measures the cell activity in eyes.  They all came back normal.  He feels he doesn't need to pursue a diagnosis for MS.

MY questions are:

1. After two bouts with symptoms and a year apart would it be reasonable that something would have shown on the MRI or the vision test?

2. Do some people live with tingling with no reason found for it?

3. Could this be stress or seasonal related?
I'm wondering about my symptoms.  In Dec. of 1998 I went for a walk my hand swelled up.  A couple of weeks later I got tingling in my feet.  The tingling only occurs when I am sitting, standing, or lying down.  When I am walking or moving I feel nothing.  This lasted most of the winter.  Then the symptoms disappeared.

This December the symptoms came back so I went to visit a nuerologist who did ever blood test possible, a MRI, all the physical tests, and a vision test done with things hooked up to my head.  They all came back normal.  He did say I have brisk reflexes in my knees.

My questions are:

1.  This is my second bout with these symptoms.  Is it reasonable to believe that soemthing would have shown up in these tests?

2.  Could this be a seasonal thing that can not be diagnosed?

3. Are there people that live with tingling and there is no explanation for it?
I suffered a traumatic brain injury July/95.  Have been followed by neurologist/brain injury specialist since that time.  Have experienced various seizure activity since injury.  Seizure activity has decreased over time and now seem to have only blackout and some "brain pauses" I call them where I am unable to function (move, speak, sometimes see etc.) for periods of time... but no full blown seizures.  

Anywya, last week I was feeling pre-seizurish but instead of going into a seizure I simply felt weird for a while and then face went all tingly (both sides) and the went numb. This lasted for a short time (5 to 10 minutes?) then went away.  It then happened again.  Afterward numbness went away and I had a headache and was zonked so went to sleep.  Any ideas on what I may have experienced?  I don't see my specialist again until April.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I have the following symtoms (symptoms): numbness in the left side of  my face and down my left arm , dry mouth , very dry lips , diseness , head aches off and on through out the day, and slured speech,
This has been going on and getting worse over the last six months and has gotten worse in the last few day's I have an appointment with a neurologest on the 29th of this month but would please  like some ideas befor then. thank you.
DEAR SIRS, I AM 40 YEARS OLD AND FOR 6 MONTHS I HAVE EXPERIENCED PAIN IN MY LEGS WITH A SEVERE BURNING SENSATION,WALKING IS GETTING HARDER FOR ME TO DO,LYING DOWN I CAN NOT HANDLE DUE TO INCREASEING THE PAIN, TWO NIGHTS AGO I EXPERIENCED SOMETHING I PRAY I NEVER DO AGAIN, I COULD NOT WALK STRAIGHT, I WOULD FALL INTO THE WALLS AND STUMPLE AS IF I WAS DRUGGED, I HAVE BEEN THROUGH MANY OF TEST WHICH SHOWED I HAVE CHARCOT MARIE TOOTH, I HAVE A WONDERFUL DOCTOR WHO IS TRYING TO HELP ME IN EVERY WAY, I WAS TAKING NEUROTIN FOR 7 MONTHS WITH NO HELP AT ALL,I AM ON A PAIN MEDICATION CALLED LORCET 10 WHICH DOES HELP ME TO COPE,THIS IS SO UNBEARABLE THAT AT TIMES I CAN NOT HANDLE THE PAIN, PLEASE IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS THAT WILL HELP ME PLEASE ADVISE ME OF WHAT I CAN DO TO CONTROL THIS, I ALSO DO PHYSICAL THERAPY WHICH SEEMS TO MAKE IT HURT WORSE. IF ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU HAVE I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE
For the last two weeks the right side of my tongue, face, and head have been numb. There is still feeling there but it is like after being at the dentist and your freezing is half gone. It's hard to describe. At times I also feel it in my rt arm and rt leg. Three years ago I had what we first thought was TIA's, the muscles on the right side of my face contracted,my eye was squeezed shut ( I could not open it ) my mouth and cheek push up as high as they could go, this lasted for about one minute each time and happened 1-4 times a month for about one year. I was diagnosed with epilepsy after ct scans and eeg's. I refused anti-seisure meds as I figured I could live with this. It has not happened for two years now. 17 years ago I had two episodes, one of rt side numbness and the other total body numbness,I couldn't even talk. I was put on steroids( I cant remember the name) and was told I had swollen optic nerves. I recently heard about FACTOR V LEIDEN GENE. Could these things all be related and could factor v be my problem? I am going to see a neurologist again but can't get in until august, and I am concerned. Thankyou for your time.
Dear Debbie Maynor:

What your experiencing is part of your disease, CMT.  I do not know of anything that can correct what your going through.  I am very sorry.

CCF Neuro MD
Dear Robert Williams, and medical professionals.
Just read your posting from Dec 5th.
Sounds like what I have,  What's Buergers Disease?
Did the Platel stuff work at all?
  I had a L4, L5 laminectomy for stenosis which didn't relieve my leg pain or difficulty in walking and stairclimbing so now I suspect my problems stem from poor circulation. If I walk just ten feet, the burning starts in the calves or behind my knees, followed by cramping.  It goes away if I lie, sit or  kneel down,
(medical professional: it's the painfree upright kneeling, with full weight on L4-L5, that makes me think the laminectomy was unnecessory).
  Folks, how 'bout this theory: gravity is affecting either the blood  or lymphatic circulation in our lower legs. (My calves are  swollen an inch larger in circumference by the end of the day!)  Poor circulation causes deposits of mineral debris to build up in our legs thus preventing proper flowage and causing excruciating pain when activated.
It sounds kinda "goutlike".  What do you think, doc?  Is there another disease like the one I thoerize?
  My thoery is a little similar to Dr. St. Auban thoery about Fibromyalgia. (Check out his book)  He contends that fibro sufferers' kidneys are overloaded with acid and these acids are backing up and being stored in parts of the body which then blocks proper neuro function in adjacent muscles.
However, I'm told fibro sufferers don't have burning pain like you and I do, Robert.  On the whole of it tho I can identify with a lot of his thoery.
By the way, Robert,  I take 300mg of Neurontin and Ultram to make it thru the day and the night.  Is your burning worse at night?
Please advise.
Greg
Forthe past seven years I have had tingling and twitching throughout my body. It started in my hands and feet and is now widespread. I have had two EMGs which were both normal, the last in September 1999.
My left eyelid has been twitching for morethan a month, My hands, legs and particularly my elbows have rently started aching and my right foot feels quite weak although not to the extent that it stops me going about my normal business. My ring fingers on both hands seem visibly wobble from side to side and although my neurologist tells me  there is nothing to worry about I am becoming increasingly anxious about these horrible symptoms. I would really welcome your thoughts on this. Thank you for your time.
Jennie F
I have tremmors in my neck teeth arms and hands. I seem to havea hard time relaxing because of loss of control. I have raynauds disease, and was taking adalat 30 mg for that. I am in the process of getting off of that for the summer, so that I can take inderal. I started the inderal 40 mg 12 days ago and it seems to have helped some. I hit a horse going 60 miles an hour 32 years ago, and have had problems with my neck and right side ever since. I have degenerative disk disease, and my last fusion was a fusion of 3 vertebrae in my cervical spine. At that point I became disabled from work, which has been 9 years ago. This trembling feels to me like it comes from my neck and up the back of the head, and right shoulder. I have hiatal hernia, and take 30mg of prevacid for at least 4 years. I take 150 mg of wellbutrin 2 times a day, sometimes once, and I take halcion at night. I started on paxel about 2 months ago or 3, and now inderal. The pharmacy doesn't like to fill my prevacid as it should only be taken for 4 months, but I just cant find any relief for the gas and heartburn I have without it. I was taking 15 mg in am and 30 mg at night, and have just quit the 15 mg a week ago or so. While I was recovering from the neck fusion, I would complain to the orthopedist about the right side of my neck, and he would just look at me and not comment. I has become worse through the years. I have had mri about 3 or 4 years ago and it showed some change but nothing significant, and have had the needle test to my neck also. (eeg) I guess. That has probably been 3 or 4 years ago also. This tremmors my Dr tells me are familial tremmors. My Dad and his first daughter had Bell's Palsy, and my Dad was treated for Parkinsons's disease for 18 years. He finally went to another Dr and was told he didn't have that, but it was some kind of neurological disorder, and the change in meds helped him a little. I keep holding my throat on both sides of my adams apple, and it is a little sore when I swallow. My whole right side feels like nerve damage. Would any of the meds have anything to do with it, the tremmors that is, or can you give me any input, as to what to do if anything. Thanks. Katie Armstrong
I recently had an EMG and was told that I had Ulnar Nerve Compression at the elbow, probably due to excess stress to that area when I sleep with my hand or arm underneath me.  I have not had this problem with my other side, only my left.  When I first noticed what was wrong with me I thought I was having a heart attack or something because my arm felt like it was asleep and my whole hand felt numb and tingly.  It sort of felt like I had been sitting on my hand, which I had not.  I had not been doing anything out of the ordinary.  It just happned all of a sudden.  I could not go to sleep that night, and then when I attempted to, the pain shot up to my shoulder and had an aching feeling near my wrist and elbow. I am scheduled to have a MRI, this makes me think it could be something else.  I have had the following symptoms for 2 months:
1. Occasional aches near elbow area (very rarely though)
2. Numbness of the side of my left hand and ring and pinky fingers.
3. The above mentioned sysmptom is worse as the day progresses and has been continuosly present this whole time.
**Any anwers to this is much appreciated**
I have recurring numbness/tingling in my arms and legs. It starts in my hands or feet and then gradually travels up over the course of several months. Last time I had it I was pregnant (with my third) and mentioned it to my ob/gyn and didn't tell her I had had it before - she said it was fairly common during pregnancy and not to worry. Anyway, my baby is now 5 months old and it has returned. It started in my right lower leg, then moved to my left hand, now my right arm and is slowly moving into the rt side of my face. My ob/gyn has referred me to a neurologist, but I have to wait weeks! Yesterday I felt like I couldn't move my arms and legs properly when I went for a walk - mind you I was also feeling pretty distressed. Obviously I am worried about MS. Is there anything else it might be? My fatigue and forgetfulness are also normal for any mother of three children under 6! This is the fourth time these episodes have occurred in three years, twice when I was pregnant and each episode seems to last for abour three months.
Thanks, Melissa