Neurology Community
tingly, prickly feeling all over

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

tingly, prickly feeling all over

My problem started about a month ago when I noticed pins and needles/tingly feeling in bottom of feet.  During that week it spread to my legs, along w/ pains in my legs, and to my arms, hands, face, and head.  I am new to this town so I didn't have a GP, so I went to the ER and they ran CBC and urine test...they tested for everything they could.   Also did heart monitor, EKG, pulsox, etc.  Everything came back 100% normal.  So, I went to see a GP finally and she ordered MRI of head, Cspine and Tspine w/ and w/out contrast...absolutely nothing abnormal on any of the tests.  That is good, except now in the places that used to tingle a little now feel sorta prickly...and now I also feel a hot or burning sensation in places on my arms, hands and sometimes legs and face.  People are passing me off as anxiety or hormones, but I just don't know about that - I'm 28 y/o female.  Anyone have any ideas??
I have had this for 2 years. Been through all of the tests 100%. My last resort naturapathy.
Seems to be helping. The doctor said he could fix it. I have had to detoxify and then started some remedies. I have been on antidepressants for a long time. I have had to change my lifestyle and diet because he says my body is out of balance. Even though your liver checks out fine it is having trouble detoxifying all the gunk in your body. The body now has found somewhere else to release the toxins and that is the nerve endings and skin. He says it shouldn't cause any damage but will take a while to change, because it has taken a long time to get to that point. Your thinking has to change with the remedies and you will have some fall backs but in time it should get better.
Hope this helps, please respond.
I am 55 and i have the same things goin on ..i have been on paxil for 4 yrs ...maybe its the meds i have been on for so long ...im having a EMG in 2 day ...i am scared dont know whats wrong with me
I see you told Beth you had the same things going on tingling in the feet needle feeling in feet arms wrist hand and sometime face i have been on paxil for 4 yrs for hot flases ..do u think it could be from my meds ...im going to for a EMG in 2 day ...i scared of what they will find ..I have panic attacts all the time over this ...please help ....Judy
Hi my body has suffered from feeling hot for a couple of years which use to lead to sweating that was very very unconfortable on lts own, but ever since november 2007 I have had prickly heat all over my body which is very painfall when it happens and it happens all the time because im always feeling hot, but ever since last week the 14th july 2008 i stil have the problem but also have a another problem which is that my body feels prickly all the time every second but its painless, im not even feeling hot or sweating but is continuous every second, in a few hours it smells really bad as if I have sweated so much when I havnt, but the funny thing is i havnt even sweated or felt hot. Can anyone please help me as I dont really no whats wrong with me as this is very new and I dont really even no what to go and tell the docter apart from the prickly heat, I feel like im not in any control of my body anymore and has affected my life so badly.

Any Help as to what might be wrong with me.

Many thanks

Beth, I'm 27yrs old and too get pins and needle feelings throughout my body. I got an MRI done and it revealed that I either have a low-grade tumor or the beginning of MS. My specialist is at MassGeneral in Boston, so I know I'm in the best hands. However he told me that this ball of anxiety in my brain is not causing any of my physical symptoms. So as I'm sure you have tried to do, I'm trying to get right w/myself. Mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. I know it sounds aggrevating, but I'm hoping this works for, to see a therapist. If your open to the idea, or if you already have, alleiving some of your anxiety may help you. I send my best to you, and confident you will be fine...
I am 21 yr old female and I have been sufferin from tingly/prickly skin mainly on my buttocks and backs of legs but sometimes on my face and hands. Sometimes my hands go completely numb. I was also told it's anxiety but I have also suffered from other symptoms of anxiety so they are probably right. I am sure what you have is related to anxiety. This can be caused by lack of vitamin B, I have recently started taking centrum and since then my anxiety symptoms have rapidly reduced. Unfortunately my Nan died of MS and I think this has affected me so much that my mind is mimmicking the symptoms of it, although I have never been tested for it so maybe I should.
Sorry to hear your troubles. I have similar situation with no clear diagnosis. I was intrigued that they ran MRI lower than your head. I figured that if I had tingling, etc., in the face and head (which I do), that it must be brain-related.  I happen to have old injury in my neck (around shoulder blades) and am now wondering if I should have MRI there, if a lesion or something could lead to tingling, etc., in the face/head.  

Anyway, did hyour Dr. recommend T and Cspine MRI after you had symptoms in your head? Thanks, Jason
Im a 47 years old male,,,I take a simvastin/and spirriva/and analipril for over 3 years,,last year I started getting this horrible prickly feeling and itching all over my body esp,,when I get hot or nervouse fast,,then it goes away?????
Im a 54 yr old Male, This started a few months back and has progressively gotten worse as the weather is warming up. I've noticed when Im in stressful situtions it's really the worst. Even when I'm around the stove cooking I can hardly stand it. A prickely feeling mostly in the face and upper body. What the heck is going on ?. I've lost my job and med Ins and can't afford to go to Doctor! Any HELP OUT THERE
I started suffering from this about ten years ago, in my early 40s.  I couldn't sleep through the night for these sharp pricks in my feet, but they reminded me of the tingle that I used to get when taking Niacin supplements.  So one day, I bought a bottle of 200 mg. time release Niacin and stayed up all night taking them.  I never got flushed, as you do when you reach a high enough level of Niacin in your blood stream, although I took a total of 13 tablets over a 13 hour period.  But I have never had the problem in the ten years since doing my own experiment.  I think for some people the problem is a B-vitamin shortage, as the B's coat the nerve endings and can be killed off by a variety of substances like alcohol or lack of nutrients, such as extreme dieting.  Don't be complacent, however.  My best friend started suffering from these lower leg prickles and was eventually diagnosed with late onset MS.  Try improving your diet or taking supplements first, then consult a neurologist, if you don't get better.  Good luck All!
o have this tingly and prickily feeling all over my face and head ,i'm 22 and it just started yesterday i feel fine except for it and i wanted to hear anyones advice before i went to the doctor
The symptoms sound like they could be neuropathy.  I'm 29 and have had type 1 diabetes for almost 20 years.  I began to suffer from neuropathy 2 years ago.  Neuropathy can be diagnosed with an EMG test.
This can be a symptom of nerves (Very Likely) Iam into body building and I noticed prickly sensations I felt all over my body as if I were being slapped by cactus.  I was taking Criotien at the time.  The sensations are usually caused by abnormal supplements you ingest or simply from ingriedents from prepared food.  If you are taking vitamens swap to a different type. Exercise everyday.  You will feel that senation hit then if you are running run harder, use the sensation.  Ultimatly your body will burn whatever forgein substance is in your body thus reducing and most of the time eliminating the sensation.  Another Key component to this stratagie is not to over sleep.  All the human Body needs is 7-8 hours of rest.  Over sleeping causes your blood to settle if especially if you have poor circulation and the substance that is causeing you the sensation will settle and you will have immidiate sensations when you go from hot to cold (A/C to outside) SO EXERCISE  
Wow!  I typed in 'prickly, stabbing like feeling all over head, what is it'---not expecting anything to come up---and this site(along w/others I haven't checked yet)came up!!!  I've asked diff drs since it started in fall '08---primary, cardio,endocrinlogist,and neurologist---to no avail. I wonder if it's cholesterol drug related, b/c I've been on pravastatin and niaspan for 3-4yrs, but endo.(diabetes dr)put me on Crestor instead in '08. Very first night this happened to me---very strong, and very scary.
I've thought of possibility of stroke on the horizon. (Awful thought!!! ) Since '08 it's happened off and on several times(went off Crestor right away--thinking that was causing. Just happened again a couple days ago, and this morning. Wondering---off Niaspan for 3-4wks-trying to 'cut down', but just restarted it. ???  But I also started retaking glucosamine/MSM again for joints---at the same time. So, hard to tell.
Wish someone knew for sure!!!  Seen the neurologist several times since '08---he gave me no indication of what, nor did he offer to do any kind of test(MRI, etc.) So, don't know what to do---see that MS was brought up---know nothing about, but maybe should check online, too.
I am 59---and like some have also said here---I'm a very worried,anxious, stressed person. I know it's not good/not healthy---can't seem to stop it, and don't want MORE medicine.  I do have clonopin---as needed, to 'take the edge off', but hardly take(one 30 day bottle could last me 3-6 mos.  last script was filled in June.  Well, that's it, hoping to get some more input.   Thanks.
I am 58, just started having these prickly pain feelings in my leg and foot. I am on simvastatin for several years. I will try Vitamin B, but yes it is scary.  Let me know how you are doing.
I'm 19,
About 2 years ago or so, i got the first light prickly pain / tingling sensation, which then came and went over awhile, i went to my GP he took samples of my blood for alergy (allergy) tests it came back as nothing and he said nothing more, i was active back then ( in school and playing sports) it didnt really stop me from doing much, since finishing school and stopping cricket for unrelated injury, i became very lazy and inside all the time, not long after, it came back strong, i kinda just put up with it for a few months, then it stopped again, just 2 months ago, (after being house-ridden awhile) i could go outside, go to the beach, and the symptoms would not be there) but just over the last 2 weeks or so, its happening more frequent and more painful then ever, if its hot, i must be infront of air conditioner or i will get pricky pain intensely Chest / back / arms / hands / legs, iv'e had to leave the house ofcourse sometimes, but when i do, for example in the car the pain would just come relentlessly and not stop until i get home (After it is at "maximum pain" for 5 mins or so the pain will reduce abit but it will still be very uncomfortable and painful, i will get white lumps kinda like goosebumps during the start of the pain and after it reaches i dunno... the most pain? it breaks into red dots, usually only on the arms, but my chest will be flush red and even patchy red on my back, i honestly dont think this is anxiety related, although recently i have become very anxious/nervous about doing anything that will trigger the pain (but i wasnt like that when it first started) and even in air conditioned room it can still tingle etc.. and sometimes i wake up with the prickly sensation because i have blankets on me as soon as i remove the quilts from over my chest they immediately stop :S, ( I cant honestly be anxious in my sleep) no, so i dont know, its terrible to have to live with, im seeing a skin specialist next month, wait and see
Any suggestions welcome
Hi, i'm 20, i've had this prickly itchy feeling for as long as i can remember, although it's gotten worse over the last few years. I feel it anytime my body starts to get hot for any reason (temperature, exercise, because i'm nervous or anxious etc.). Since i've always felt this prickly itchy feeling whenever there is a rise in my core temperature, i figured it was just something that happend when people get hot and that everyone felt the same sensation (I have eczema so im used to feeling itchy anyway). I mentioned it to my mum a few weeks ago (she works in a pharmacy) and she told me my dad has always had the same thing. It's been annoying me more than usual recently but im fairly used to it now and dont really know any different. After researching online there doesn't seem to be a "quick fix" (an i'm too lazy to try anything that requires alot of effort or time).

Below is something i found on another forum that you might find helpful:

"I am a new user to this forum and I have the same symptoms as you. I'm not a medical practitioner but here's what I have so far.

I believe the medical term for our condition is: Cholinergic Urticaria. Cholinergic urticaria is a physical allergy characterized by the development of punctate (1 to 3 mm diameter) intensely pruritic wheals with erythematous flaring after an increase in core body temperature or stress.

In particular, our case seems to be of the sub-category of Exercise-induced Anaphylaxis. http://www.jcaai.org/pp/anaph_23_exercise. asp#anaph_XXIII_

Essentially, a raise in core body temperature or stress level can trigger an attack. No obvious sign/rash on skin to suggest anything wrong.

Like you, I get an attack in the following situations:
1) When I know I'm about to sweat, brief walk/exercise etc
2) When I'm nervous/stressed (happens a lot in my job)
3) After a hot shower (I've stopped having them since)

I've been having this since the start of this year. I'm 29 yrs old.

Bad news is I don't have any definite answer for you. I've relatively new to trying to cure this so I don't have a lot of suggestions. Below is what I suggest:

1) All literature agrees that the itchiness/pricking sensation is caused by the release of histamine in your body. Hence, anti-histaimine should help to minimize or at least lessen the attack. However, there are many different formulaes ofr anti-histaimine, including first-generation and second-generation types, H1 vs H2 etc. I am not a medical person so I don't know the difference. I hope to do more research on this in the coming weeks and find out what is best for me.
2) You mentioned Zrytec didn't work for you. How often were you taking it? What was your dosage? I've read that in some case you might need to keep taking it regularly to build up sufficient dosage in your body. http://www.jcaai.org/pp/ur_part_1.asp. My doctor said I can take up to 3 tablets a day.
3) Some literature also suggest H1 and H2 anti-histamine is required together to be effective
4) Other medicines that have reported to be effective on similar sitautions, Benedryl, Ketotifen, Cimitidine Magicul 800, ephinephrine. I have no idea what these are but am simply collecting what other people said has helped in the past. Don't use them without medical advise.
5) Some poster on this board reported Acupunture or Homeopathic Medicine to be useful. Again, not sure whether this is applicable for us but something to keep in mind.

I saw a dermotologist last week but he wasn't very useful. Apart from giving me the above medical term he essentially gave me 3 types of drugs (Claratyne, Zyrtec and Telfast) and told me to go try it out. I'm also trying to see whether there is a Cholinergic Urticaria specialist in Melbourne that can help with this.

For the next few weeks I'm going to take regular dosage of Zyrtec (3 times a day) and will test out the effects during that period."
I've changed my mind, i thought i could ignore it but it's just too much now. I seem to be getting it alot easier too, like if i'm just walking round town and the weather is nice or it's warm in a shop it hits me an i have to find somewhere cool to sit till i cool down. I tried taking 'Piriton' briefly but it didnt seem to do much and the side effects really hit me. I'm going on holiday to Corfu soon an im getting a bit anxious since it's gona be hot out there. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Same thing here. Pins and needles. Started in legs now it is in all my joints. Elbows, fingers, knees, ankles. Why is it concentrating in joints?? Any ideas? I feel for you. It is annoying and worrisome. Thought maybe B-12 deficiency but why in the joints?
Hi Im 23 years old/man and I have been having the same symptoms you are not alone. I have a tingling, prickly, pins and needles feeling through out my body. It happen when I get hot. When the weather gets hotter it's worst. I have to find place to cool off. I have to walk around with a bottle of cold water and rag to cool off. It's been going on for months now and I have been tested for so many things. I been tested for thyroid problems and it came back fine. I got tested for B-12 deficiency it was fine. I got two MRI done on my lower spine and cervical spine for anything strange like MS. But again everything is good except I have a bulging disc which the doctors say can't be causing it. Also had Brain looked at which is completely normal. Now there just passing it off as stress and anxiety. It mostly happens when I get worked up and hot. It also happens when I get nervous. People tell me to exercise but it's hard when you have this feeling like electric shocks stinging you. When it is really bad sometimes I break out in my skin but when my body cools down the rash goes away. I don't know what else to do. If anyone has ideas please write something. Myself and everyone else with this issue would love to know.
i too have this tingly, prickly and a lil' bit of numbness.. i went to emergency last night and found out that i had a uti(urinary tract infection). it causes diturbance to skin sensation.
Thanks for sharing, it's good to know I'm not alone.  Mine started 2 days ago and it feels like prickly all over, a stinging, sun-burn sensation inside my elbow joints, bottom of feet, back of neck, head hand/fingers things, knees.  Wierd.  I can only ascribe it to stress/anxiety (I don't take any medicines but vitamins, ibuprofen or Tylenol) but belle86 said UTI might be the cause so I might have to check myself out...though I'm a 34 yo male (better safe than sorry I guess).  I had blood level and blood pressure checked 2 days ago (normal) and a CATscan (for something unrelated) about 6 months ago (normal).  I'm going with stress and/or foreign element in blood that needs to just be waited out.  Be at peace, everyone, we'll be alright!
I had a similar problem for about three years and it was making my life a living hell. Thank god I found a solution.

The stinging/prickly sensation used to happen to me whenever my heart would start to pump faster or my temprature would rise. Whenever I went out in the sun or into a heated room the stinging/prickly senasation would begin. Also I seemed to have an innability to sweat, my skin was dry and I would often wake in the early hours of the morning with a burning feeling under my skin (especially on my face and back).

It got so bad that when summer was about to arrive in Australia I moved to England to cool off. To my horror everywhere in England had central heating...der!!!! I remember one day I went to the public library and the central heating was on, within 30 seconds I started to get the stinging prickly sensation which made my heart run faster which made it worse. I ran outside and started rolling around on the cold damp grass. Everyone was staring but I didn't care, i had to do it.

That was the final straw, i came back to australia, went to several doctors who were no hope and said its all in the head. Then one day I saw a naturopath who changed my life.

His solution: RID BODY OF ALL TOXINS. I went on a kidney/liver cleanse diet that cleansed my body. No alcohol, cakes, biscuits, white bread etc for three months. Wola! All of a sudden these prickly sensations that I used to get (that I thought I'd have for ever) were gone.

So although the symptoms only ever came when my body would heat up, the cause of the problem had nothing to do with heat sun etc. It was because my body was in such an unhealthy state and my liver/kidneys were struggling to cope.

So in my case it had NOTHING to do with stress. I'm thinking maybe people who have a poor diet can become stressed and stress can even cause poor diet so chances are that people who hyave these symptoms due to poor diet/lifestyle also happen to have stress.

I realise this is just my personal experience and that might not work for everyone. But I hope this can help even just one person cos I know how bad it was to have it and especially that people just think you're making it up.
I have had what I call neuropathy for at least 5 years.  I have come to believe that it is due to pharma/aspartame usage of 25 years, in part.

I also have borderline anemia and low thyroid.  I have started taking an
Iodine product to adjust my thyroid, which is the master planner of the body.

Just had blood tests, going for a consult this week.  I also feel like I am
dying...not the psychological morbid thoughts...no, but that my body is
dying.  It is scary, so I have to take it a day at a time.

I am taking natural therapies with B complex.  When I used to take shots
weekly I felt so much better but didn't have insurance then, so it was costly for me.  My present insurance is covering these tests, so I hope that the doc will give me the B shots, rather than prescription meds.

I too was on pain, anxiety, anti depressants for a period of time until
I felt horrible and the pain was only masked.  

I take Iodine-C compound, B12, Pantothenic Acid which is B 6,
Magnesium, C, double D, Melatonin, and St John to help with stress.

The horrible pain in the extremities have reduced since adding I-C, but the thyroid is slow to respond.  I already had the diagnosis of being border line, so I researched this a bit. I have been on this for 6 weeks.

So much toxic waste is in everything we consume from air to water to
food.  To detox and unload the digestive system, relax the kidneys and
other organs I use broccoli several times a week, make it steamed or make it mush, or soup, and I take Milkthistle, a capsule.  This is
recommended for aspartame toxicity by Dr. Martini, Dr Gold and Dr. Hull.

Still have concerns when I get high anxiety with numbness and cascading pain...but the episodes have lessened.  So, I don't advise
but only say do your research to understand what your body is trying to tell you.  

Here's to your health.

KG
You guys I have this. I have never posted on a board in my life. Its stress related and its probably neuralgia or post herpetic nueralgia. Dont get me wrong when I say herpetic its nto related to herpes or a disease of any kind. one person said they found a like red bump rash on there back. Thats probably a zoster. The medical term is herpes zoster but like i said nothing to do with sexual transmitted disease or a disease not related. Its like the chicken pox. everyone has it dorment inside there bodies when highly stressed it causes an outbreak which leads to damage of your nerves causing tingling prickly numbing aggitating scratch it Feeling! Anti Depressants and new drugs are available for it. Also B vitamins are probably good for the stress that causes it.
hey
i susspect it to be TETANUS
did u all have this after a wound?
try to remeber that
I was intrested in your "post herpetic" idea,, generally I have read the the neuropathy comes only following Zoester (shingles) but I personally think anyone who has endured a herpes outbreak of any kind including oral or ocular can suffer nerve pain. I had ocular herpes some 4 months ago and developed neuropathy about 3 months ago.
Some days are worse than others and I don't know if I am really improving or not,, I guess time will tell. I have had several tests- all are normal. I do think there is some substance to the idea of detoxifying the body. The average person's diet today is scary,, I know mine has been.  
I have also had similar feelings recently, whole body tingling and prickly as it would feel if your foot fell asleep, I noticed it more being around my neck and back area and face though, hasn't been as bad on my legs and arms but still worries me, I get up and move around every few minutes or so to see if I had been laying down or sitting for too long but nothing had changed when I did so, I'm 18 yrs of age and not exactly sure if that's something i should worry about so much or if its serious.. Haven't got the time nor money to go to the doctors.. I also was told because of my bladder infections that i should get my kidneys tested but never followed up on it, not sure if that's a link to this all or not
a couple months ago i started taking Crestor & into a week of taking it i started getting this itchy,prickly feeling on my back,face,arms,legs&stomach whenever i got hot.I stopped taking the pills but the sensation hasn't gone away.i wish i knew something that could help me & others like me.
Dear luc89,
I' a 68 year old man. When I get the least bit warm I get a sudden onset of stinging all over.
It is just unbearable. When I cool off the stinging goes away in less than 5 minutes. I've gone to top doctors in Dallas, blood tests etc.
What did you find out about your symptons
Many thanks

myron5263
My skin starts doing the prickly, itchy thing ALL OVER at night when I try to go to sleep... and sometimes while I'm sitting. But if I get up and walk around, it goes away in my legs and is just in my arms. It is on and off for about 2 years.
A few days ago I had to go to the ER because after a month, my menstrual cycle had not stopped, and I almost passed out in the shower. I told the attending Dr. that I was weak, dizzy and lethargic and that my skin was prickly, tingly and itchy... she said I was Anemic... ran blood tests to confirm that that I was Anemic due to low Iron from bleeding so much.
Apparently I have been Anemic the whole 2 years I have been experiencing the tingly, itchy, prickly skin... So, I'm going to give these Iron pills a try and see if they work... .if not... I'll be back at square one.
I hope this helps.. and if anyone has had any luck please let me know.
I KNOW WHAT IT IS.IT IS LAZYNESS AS NOT DOING EXERCISE,DO EXERCISE DRINK WATER DONT SIT MORE IN AC.
IF YOU HAVE DANDRUFF THEN IT PRICKS MORE.
DO RUNNING AND SWEAT OUT.
USE SONA BATH.
IF YOU ARE OLD THEN CONTROL YOUR EATING HABBITS,DO FAST AND EAT VEGETARIAN.
DOCTOR CANT DO ANYTHING.ITS ONLY YOU
VIKRANT
Beth - the prickly tingly is probably coming from a neurological problem related to your back or neck. Research it and let me know...
I feel u all n am also very scared I have 4 children and am so scared of having one of these sickness
I have found that moving, exercising, however small, Qi Gong, very easy to do, or walking helps quite a bit with the condition of numbness, tingling ect.  Take time to just sit & breathe holding your finger on one nostril as you breathe in & letting the finger go & breathe out then  hold the other side & do the same thing.  Alternate nostil breathing technique.  At least 5 times  at each session & do it throughout your day so you can spend only a few min. each time.  Outside is the best place to breathe in the beauty of the green plants, earth , especially in the mountains or on the beach.    Doesn't sound like much but it really helps your parasympathetic nervous system which can cause a lot of this crazy unexplained stuff we get. Chlorella & B vitamins , no prepackaged foods, junk food drive thrus, mostly vegetables, fish & fruits washed & mostly raw. Hope it helps someone.
Has anyone seen a Chiropractor?  
I have tingling numbness prickling its good to see one it helps
Has anyone seen a Chiropractor?  
I'm 30 yr old female, I get a stinging feeling followed by an itchiness. It's strange.... Anyone ever think it could be some type of med were all taking??
I took aspirin pm every night for 9 years, recently quit and only takIng the dyphenhydramine nightly. I take vitamin C I use retin a, and I've taken aderol (adderall) occasionally. I've been stressed out but I have recently gotten a job and now I'm much calmer and still feel it. I'm not stressed at all anymore... But it hasn't subsided:(
I'm fourteen and I keep having all these weird tingly feelings all over body, mostly in my feet and arms. It started last night I started getting really panicky about it, thinking there was something wrong with my arteries and veins, I started shaking and couldn't sleep for hours. I researched it a little today and the only thing I found that maybe it was something to do with having an anxiety attack but i'm honestly not sure.

A few more details. I'm just over 5ft and I'm eight stone. I'm pretty lazy since its the school holidays and most of the time I sit around reading. I'm just wondering if its the lack of exercise and movement that's making me like this. I also have been going to sleep pretty late (one or two O'Clock) then getting up at 12 the next.

Any help would be great.

I too had stabbing, electric shock feelings in my scalp, arms and legs.  It would drive me crazy and get worse during the evenings.  Tried everything and nothing worked.  Finally, I stumbled on the source of this nightmare - I wore a cheap watch made in China 24/7.  The symptoms stopped in one day when I stopped wearing the watch!  I wonder how many people suffer from these symptoms due to toxicity absorbed in their system from certain jewelry?

Hi Belle
I am sorry to read what everyone is going through.
I am a female 67 yrs.
I had the same experience as you yesterday..went to ER with numbness down my right side with all the prickly feeling, I thought I was having a stoke...all my blood tests and xrays came back normal..and I have a bladder infection..Dr. didn't know what this prickly feeling is.
Also, I am having a Cat Scan for my head and Ultrasound for my neck.
Like everyone here in the Forum..I have the same things going on with my body. Started a year ago.
What I found on the internet was when it's hot,  the sweat glands are blocked and aren't doing the job of cooling the body temperature.
I put ice packs on my body to feel better, but it only lasts for a few minutes and then it starts up again.
I exercise, eat well, I look after myself and the only meds. I am on is Pepcid and Prevacid for acid reflux.
Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I thought I was the only one with this condition.
I have no other solutions. So as I find the answer I will share this with everyone.
HappyFace
I have had  this prickly burning sensation under my skin.. mostly my face. for yrs. its continuing to get worse. and with it is burning on my tongue and lips, under my ribs, thru my legs. arms, i get hot sweats. I am currently haveing  blood tests to heck for hormonal problems, and b12 deficiantsy. hopefully  the hormonal problem will be the answer. You may want to get checked out for this also
Thought i would post my case here.

I am 42, executive in pharmaceutical development.  I do not exercise regularly but i am in "semi-fit" shape, at 5 foot 10 and 185 pounds.  Since OCT 2010, i have suffered from the following symptoms:

1. "pins and needles" the emerges typically from the middle of my back, and can spread only a bit, or all the way around my chest, to my scalp, down my arms, or down my legs if severe

2. a "flushing feeling" that typically accompanies the pins and needles, as if my core temp just increased 0.5 degrees

3. a sensation, only briefly, of increased heart rate (although i have measured it and this appears to be false)

These symptoms occur fairly consistently upon the following:

1. when i am wearing one layer too many in a warm room, or on a warm day

2. when i stand directly in the hot sun (or lay on a beach on Mexico) for a few minutes

3. when i am in a particularly stressful situation

For the first month, i ignored this and assumed it would self-resolve.  In NOV-DEC 2010 timeframe, when it appeared to be sticking around, i began to grow concerned.  A little research led me first (instantly) to MS, which i was certain was not possible at my later age.  Could my nerves be demylenating?  I thought this highly unlikely.

I immediately began "testing" myself in situations to determine what caused the P&N response.  I tried:

1. Very hot showers (YES)
2. Standing in hot sun (YES)
3. Lying to a complete stranger at a store (YES - stress response, when i got caught due to a mis-matched phone number in their system)
4. Hyper-exercise (YES after doing 30 push ups very rapidly; and same upon climbing a rope ladder)
5. Intentionally wearing too many layers in a warm environment (YES)
6. Moderate hiking (NO) and generally moderate exercise (NO)

The P&N effect will typically last 5-20 seconds and will resolve when i either remove excess clothing, move to a cooler location, or remove myself from the stressful situation. I haven't really tested how long they last if i don't move/remove myself, and i will try that soon.

I then began to work with physicians and to research the drugs i was taking.I saw two internal medicine physicians, who both referred me to a neurologist after inconclusive blood tests. They both suspected anxiety or panic attacks.  Note that i am about the calmest person you could meet, and i don't feel that i get panic attacks at all.  I realize that my "feelings" aren't conclusive, but i suspected this was a false diagnosis/idea.  The neurologist was at UCSF, and was unfamiliar with my presentation, and had me take an EEG.  The EEG was negative.  The neurologist prescribed an anti-anxiety med as a test and suggested i see a cognitive psychiatrist.  I tried the med and it didn't help at all.  I really didn't think this was caused by anxiety, primarily because i have no enxiety when i'm laying on a beach in mexico.  Also, i bought a wrist-type blood pressure cuff and tested my self when the P&N occured or immediately thereafter.  I had no spikes in BP.

I stepped far left, and tried a Chinese accupuncture specialist that was highly rated on YELP in SF.  The accupuncturist correctly noted that i had considerable back trauma (bulgin disk c5/6, compressed t5/6) and suggest i see a chiropractor. This felt right to me, as i had been wondering if this was a "structural problem" that had inflammed a nerve, now causing me to be susceptible to heat and stress induced responses that presented as P&N.

I have seen two chriopractors since, and while both have been "fun" (i enjoy getting my back adjusted) there has been no change at all in my symptoms.

So let's look at my drugs and bloodwork. My labs have improved considerably since i adjusted my diet in early 2010 (reduced sugar intake and reduced calorie intake, and tried hard to eat more greens, basically).  My glucose is now under 100.  My CHOL is under 200 but only by the grace of simvastatin.  My HDL is sub-par at 30.  My thyroid is chronically low.  Liver looks ok.  Kidneys look ok.

I have suffered from GERD, hyperthyroidism, and hyperlipidemia for decades, and for at least 12 years i have consistently taken simvastatin, protonix, and levothyroxine.  I also take baby aspirin daily only because my family has a history of heart diease/attack.

The low thyroid could come into play here...by why now, more than a decade after diagnosis and treatment?  The long-term simvastatin could be the culprit - i've seen many reports of simva-induced effects, but they seem to be more serious than this....but the less serious adverse effects could be significantly under-reported and therefore not associated well???

I can't find anything to suggest that the aspirin or protonix would cause this.

I take vitamins, not any parrticular brand for any particular reaon, but i am consistent for about 6 months at a time, and they are multi-vit types.

I should have my vit levels tested, but i suspect they will be within normal range.

So that brings me to the present.  One year into this, multiple care providers visited, no answers yet. I am wondering if this could be caused by:

1. chronic simvastatin
2. inadequate vitamin levels (B, etc)
3. something i ahven't considered yet

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Caicosbound
Caicosbound, Very comprehensive self-testing.  Kudos to you!  I am a 38 y.o. female who has had tingling in my face and told my chiropractor who also is part naturopath (I haven't had the heat sensation though - herpes zoster comes to mind when I read some of these posts with the prickly heat).  She recommended adrenal supplements (she has them at her clinic) as my adrenal glands were exhausted from stress.  They seemed to work as my symptoms went away in a few weeks.  I have the tingling again though re-emerging so I likely need another round of supplements (and to get more sleep).  To those on this post, I would recommend seeing a naturopath prior to just buying the supplements. I like the detox suggestion from some on this post. I've never detoxed in my life and I do like drinking a glass of wine at night.  Maybe it's due.  
I have been suffering with all sorts of what appear to be neurological symptoms for some years. Last year they suddenly got very bad. I'd just like to say it is not always caused by laziness. Until september last year i used to run or go to the gym 4/5 times a week, usually every weekday before uni. I was working part time too and have 2 kids. I've always had a healthy diet. Because of the sensory symptoms i couldn't grip the machines properly and found it was getting dangerous for me to use them, then i had to stop running as well. So, although i agree, it is good to be active, it's not neccessarily a cause. I don't drink or smoke either.
I was diagnosed with low calcium and vit d a year ago and 8 months later hypoparathyroidism (main symptoms being tingling and cramping hands face and feet). Now my calcium has reached the high end of normal on prescription medication yet the past few weeks have been the worst.
Whereas my left cheek would often have tingles and cramp, at the weekend my right cheek started it. My skin is warm to touch but i feel i have a cold breeze on me, my feet and back currently the worst. I feel a bit wobbly today on my feet and am unable to concentrate properly. I also have pins and needles (feels more like vibrations) in my mouth...but that is an old symptom. Last night i was sweating and my skin was warm to touch and yet it was cold to me.
I had a ct scan in jan/feb time and was told it was normal...mri about 3 1/2 years ago which apparently was ok. I have an mri of my brain this sunday evening and even though i obviously do not want to have anything awful show up, i'm desperate to know whats wrong with me. I noticed a few posts saying ppl had a normal mri with sensory symptoms so i am hoping for that too.
On my search for illnesses to put on a list and raise with my neurologist, i found fibromyalgia to be one that has appeared with body temp issues. While im told i have an endocrine disorder which can interfere with body temp, since my cal and vit d are no longer low, i wonder how this could be the cause now and fibormyalgia has been mentioned on other forums with ppl saying they experience similar problems.
Another cause of sensory problems is a problem with the ateries supplying the brain with blood. I'm going to ask my consultant about these anyway (there are about 30 other ilnesses which have similar symtoms (symptoms)).
Something slightly odd i've noticed today is i suffer sciatic pain which i take regular painkillers for....the pain is hardly there today. While it's nice to not be in so much pain with that, i'm concerned something is severely affecting my nervous system.
I have been taken antidepressants for 6 years. When changing dosage I felt always itchy. 3 days ago I started experiencing prickling sensations (like pin & needles) they are constant and very frightening. I am glucose intolerant and have smoked cigarrettes. What kind of doctor should I go to??? What kind of home remedies could I use?
I too have been feeling these symptoms since late 05. Iv checked,everything norm. I do have a lemph nobe swelled on my left side groin area... All I have to say is we can complain  but we dont UNITE and vote to see what the hell our states are allowd to test on us. Food
I am 57 year old male who exercises regularly with weight, biking, swimming etc,  I am experiencing almost the exact same symptoms you have shared.  Started suddenly about 2 months ago in october and has not relented since. Severe pins and needles all over chest,back and body when core gets hot or heart beats rapidly. It almost feels like my skin is being electrocuted I have been on lorazepam and testosterone for a number of years but never had any kind problem before.  The symptoms started after a vacation to los cabos, mexico so I was not under any stress at the time.  I have read other posts on the internet describing these same symptoms without resolution.  I have an appointment with a neurologist next week but I don't expect any revelations because like yourself all my blood and vitamins, etc. are checking out ok.  I sometimes think it is connected to the drugs I am taking but other posters with similar symptoms are not on these drugs. Please post if you have anything additional to add.  
HI There: I have similar symptoms that recently started and i am in the SF area.  I have had CT scan on my head which was normal. I have had all the blood work which indicates normal on everything. but I did have low Vitamin D.  My head prickly sensations are getting better but have now gone to migranes (migraines) and I get shocks in certains areas of body esp. back and now I have a spasm in back.. I had two ct scans & I believe these symptoms occured in conjuction to the scans. I have gerd as well which started during this period as well...  
I have to check with a neurologist to find out more but seems like the big stuff is ruled out right now.. It may be a question of time for things to improve.. something was set off... in my system..  

I would recommend you check your Vitamin D levels as mine was low..
I am a 59 yr old female. I am not on any meds except niacinimide and an enzyme called Gluten ease. I am gluten intolerant.
There is constant prickly tingling all over, especially my entire legs.
I have a rsh that I belive is a gluten rash. It is around one ankle, my buttocks. Seeing so many entries that include the use of antidepressants, I want to include, I have been on antidepressants for  6 months about 7 years ago, but that was all.
The one thing I haven't seen anyone talk about is their skin colour.  I'm pretty pale and when I go on holidays to hot places the prickling feeling starts and gets worse over the course of the trip.  I did discover that slowly building up a tan over the course of a summer in Canada and then going to a tropical place I was completely fine.  I'm 28 year old male and have been experiencing this as long as I can remember.  Nobody else in my family gets this or understands why.  

Is everyone on here complaining fairly pale skinned?

Polymorphic light eruption (PLE)
Google it, sounds exactly what Im dealing with.  
I am also in my early 40 and gets this pin prickly feeling on the bottom of my feet whenever I lay on my back on some chairs and place my feet on up on another chair.  It actually happens when I am in snoozinng mode as if to say wake up.  I too am stressed  out.
Hi I am 36 and have had the prickly sensation in my head and it washes down over my body. Now I have a pins and needles sensation that mostly hits my face and upper body. Sometimes it feels like it's still there when it passes. I have gotten a bit light headed with it. I do have chronic nerve damage that for some reason has really started causing major issues and now I'm wondering if there is something else wrong.
The tingling gets worse with heat and yesterday my left side of my face felt numb and so did my arm. The tingling has continued pretty steady for two days now. My left side is the one that has the major nerve damage. I am at a loss for what to do.
I've been going through a lot of forums about people with the same symptoms as I too have been getting prickly itchy sensations in my feet, legs, arms and hands and losing sleep over it. I havnt gone to a doctor as if yet as it has only recently started. But I've been looking at bad circulation because I have low blood pressure and became anemic after giving birth. I will be changing my diet and increasing my intake of vitamins that I'm lacking in. Just thought that might help. Also maybe using ice packs to relieve prickliness. I did some stretches this morning and it seemed to help. Also will be avoiding tight clothing and sitting on my legs.
It is discouraging to read that no one has found an answer to this problem of all body prickly sensations. I am 65 and was very healthy until 1 year ago when I ended up in the emergency room for extremely high blood pressure and increasing feelings that I would pass out even coming up stairs. I have exercised vigorously all my life, eat well, don’t smoke and drink lightly. I ended up with lots of blood tests. Had very high calcium and later diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism. The DAY after I had surgery for that 7 months ago, I started having these sensations and they have gone unabated since then. Been to family practice MD, endocrinologist, neurologist—I had very low vitamin D but otherwise test out normally on everything. None of these physicians has a clue why the prickly sensations are happening. I just read of one study where 23 patients developed neuropathy post-surgery and all were tested and found to have nerve inflammation-likely stress from the surgery.  They were given immunosuppressants and got better.  
Those are very strong drugs with huge side effects so don’t know the generalizability of that type of treatment, but I plan to ask about it. These symptoms are getting worse and when they get really bad, I also get “foggy brain”. It is so distressing!  I have tried all kinds of experiments with my blood pressure meds, foods, alcohol, vitamins, etc. Nothing I do seems to make any difference.  The only comfort is that there are lots of others like me.  I plan to continue to experiment as I don’t know where else to turn. Good luck to all and please, if anyone finds anything that works, let us all know.  I plan to try an anti-histamine tonight and see if it does anything.
Oldgirl
I wanted to add my experience to anyone it might help.  I've recently started having these feelings again after many years of not having them.  I got them before I was diagnosed with low thyroid (hypothyroidism).   I also get them when I take erythromycin.  I had an allergist that said it was called "Formication"  the feeling of ants crawling underneath the skin.

If you are on medications, start looking there first.  I take propanolol and I just got a new prescription. It is a different pharmaceutical company and I think the formulation is bothering me.  My old prescription never caused me any problems, and i've been taking it for 2 years.  

Also, Low calcium and low iron.  Low calcium doesn't always show on a blood test.  

Ladies, it can also be caused by perimenopause/menopause.  It is a symptom.

Cosmetics can also cause internal problems.  If you use a certain soap/shower gel, try getting one with no coloring and use it for awhile.  

I remember having this so badly one time, that I thougtht I would go nuts.  Feels like prickly, tingly, stinging randomly.  I would liken it to being hit by the sparks of a sparkler.  Also, feels on my face, like spider webs hitting my face.  
Good luck.  

Sounds like you are seeing a choirpractor (purposely mis-spelled). The common diagnosis of many of the choir-practors is the "toxins" story, the their money grabbing treatment modality pushes treatments such as mega-vits, and especially "these things take a long time". Hopefully, you will bite on this crap and be his patient for a very long time as he tries one piece of dog-crap therapy after another as he continues to drain your bank account.

My advice is that you start over and find yourself a RD (Real Doctor), advisably a Medical Doctor (MD) with a university hospital affiliation (preferably on salary at the university in a clinical teaching capacity). The SALARY part is important because then he/she will not be driven to do tests and tests and tests for the sake of profit. If your lucky, your location will be from Canada, England or Europe where medicine is focused patient care instead of the all powerful, almighty BUCK.

I've had this problem for quite some time and just recently figured out what it might be.  Have you tried changing deodorants?  There are a lot of really bad chemicals in most deodorants which block your body from naturally perspiring.  Trying changing to an all natural deodorant for a few weeks and seeing if that helps.  Other things like lotions, shampoos, soaps, could also have some of the same effects......so it might be good to try switching those out as well.
PLEASE READ I AM CURED!! 
My life is FINALLY back to normal, Thank you god!!
Here is my story!
Starting back in August of last year, I started getting an itching/prickling sensation all over my hands and feet. Sometimes I would even get them on my legs, back and face and this went on for 8 months. I didn’t know what to do, this annoying sensation was disrupting my life. I couldn’t focus at work, home or school because of the itching/pricking/needle feeling all over my body. It would even occur at night or while in the bed. I was losing it people…I went through 8 months of torture. After trying tea tree old, taking bleach baths, using all types of ointments, sulfur baths etc NOTHING seem to work. I even thought I had scabies or some type of bug that crawled under my skin and laid eggs. I even though it was fleas…so we hired carpet cleaning people to steam clean our carpet up to 200 degrees, we even hired several pest control people to come out and spray. My husband and I spent 1000s of dollars but nothing was working.  Oh I forgot to mention that my husband was not having the itching problem, it was only me! Well we sold our house and got rid of all our furniture because of the annoying sensation I was having. I prayed everyday asking the lord to help me and after moving into our apartment something hit me!! I thought that I should go to a dermatologist even though I read many stories online saying that dermatologist are no help…Well I went to the dermatologist and he asked me several questions:
1. Do I take long HOT bathes? Yes
2. What kind of soaps do I use? I said dove
3. Do I moisturize my skin after getting out of the tub? No
4. Does the itchy/prickling sensations come when I turn the heat on? Yes
5. Does it happen more at night? Yes
6. Does the itching occur when your body over heats? Yes
The dermatologist told me that the HOT HOT water from the bathes I take has dried my skin completely out. He said this is what’s causes the pricking/itchy sensation. He said that my skin is cracking and it cracks a lot more when my body over heats. He then told me what to use to get rid of the prickling sensation and was 100% sure that it will work. He said that my skin needs moisture and recommend I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream at night after I get out of the shower and in the morning for 1 whole month. He said when you get out of the shower, rub the cream all over your body, Head to Toe. Then do it in the morning before you go outside. Doing this will put moisture back into your skin and restore it. It took 1 week for this cream to work on me!!! Here it is a month later and I haven’t felt any type of prickling sensation or anything. 
I don’t know if this will help everyone but it sure did help me. You can buy the CerVe at Walmart or Walgreens, its in a white jar. Rub it all over your body and stay away from HOT HOT bathes. Take only warm bathes. HOT bathes try your skin out…the dermatologist says HOT water KILLS your skin and a lot of people don’t know that. CeraVe is safe to use, it’s like a lotion so you can use it everyday all day if you like.  
PLEASE READ I AM CURED!! 
Here is my story!
1. Do I take long HOT bathes? Yes
5. Does it happen more at night? Yes
Any update I am having similar symptoms
Hi Alice,
Thank you for your Niacin idea. I had a blow to the head/face when back on the playground teaching in 2001. This followed by a physiatrist who electrocuted my head terribly in some goofy therapy I was prescribed. It all ended badly with L & I negating my symptoms - only replacing my first set of front teeth. That said, I've been thru many years attempting to heal & manage many symptoms. I got no regular med help from Dr's. Natural healing remedies, supplements, my Christian faith, & cranial massage have been a Godsend. I've recently had terrible stress from many family problems, & an addict child with cancer who moved home...just a lot of stuff. Today-I awoke with a massive headache (formerly common w/my head injury), itchy head & began this tingling in my extremities (Niacin like). It's not subsided - hence, my web search. Thank you for your Niacin experiment as I realized I've not focused on my own health lately being a constant caregiver for four people & am remiss on my B vitamins. I just took some Niacin & will try this for a bit to see if it works. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Alice,
I have experienced the prickly itch all over my body for years.  The first time it started was in 1994, it lasted for about six months the stopped.  It returns every ten years beginning in November but this year it started in February.  I have bought almost every lotion on the market, soaked in epsome salt, apple cider vinegar, baking soda and oatmeal but nothing seem to work.  I saw an allergist and dermatologist but all test were negative.  I finally saw a Neurologist and he thought I had Erythromelalgia.  If any of you have redness and burning in your hands and feet, you might want to research this it also affects people around 60 and older.  Anyway, the neurologist prescribed Gabapentin and it doesn't completely stop the prickly sensation but it's about 90% affective.  I continue to research my symptoms and I believe I found the problem.  First, I want to ask a few questions.  Did any of you injure your back, have nerve damage or have carpal tunnel and do you have the taste of metal in your mouth?  These might be the common denominator to having "Small Fiber Sensory Neuropathy".  It's a disorder of the peripheral nerves.  The symptoms are pins and needles, burning, pricks, tingling, numbness, electrical shock like brief painful sensation, a lack of sweating.  Please research this.  Checked the symptoms, if they match what you are experiencing go see a Neurologist, tell them your symtoms (symptoms) and tell them about SFSN.  You will also see treatments for this condition on the web sites.  One more thing, the prickly itch sensation may not be an itch at all.  It could be the sensation of the small nerve fibers that feel like you're itching and the metal taste in your mouth could be the tingling sensation on your tongue.
I pray this will help all of you.  God bless you and good luck.  
I had a very similar prickly skin/pins and needles problem as Anundsjo. He mentioned going to the naturopath and that's what I did. There may be variants of this unnamed illness, but the one I had made the prickly skin worse when the body temperature went up. For example, if would jog I would feel sharp needless all over my body, or if I sat in a hot car I would immediately have prickly skin over my my body, mostly in the back.

The naturopathic detox did it for me. After about 6 weeks I noticed huge improvements in the prickly skin problem. Now, almost 2 months into the diet, 90% of my problem has gone away. I can play tennis, basketball, and hike for 10km in one day without any problem. The remaining 10% is expected to go away soon.

My little story goes something like this: I have other conditions for which I take multiple medications. These medications sometimes increase the appetite and hence I would eat more but tended to eat more junk like fast food. My addiction got so bad that I was eating out every single day! About a year and half later, I noticed the pins and needles in my body whenever I would exercise. I also developed neuropathy in my toe that made the whole experience uncomfortable. Luckily, because of Anundsjo's post, I'm back to eating healthy again and feel very lucky to be out of a horrible position.