Neurology Community
tip of toe numb

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

tip of toe numb

The upper right tip of my big left toe is numb. Not completely numb, just mostly. It gets a strange, uncomfortable sensation when I touch it. This happened during a day of heavy lifting and lots of walking (10 hours). It has been like this for a month. I started noticing it on that day, but thought the toe just felt strange because of the sock. Now it has been a month and it is still that way. While the work was hard, I don't remember ever hurting my back except for the usual muscular aches later on.
my toe is the same as u describe at the moment, i suffer with lower back pain too and nerve pain in my legs i have no idea whats wrong yet but have had no injurys hope u find out whats wrong
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Welcome to the neurology forum of medhelp. Thanks for writing in. The numbness could be due to tight fitting shoes causing foot compression, foot trauma injury, tarsal tunnel syndrome caused by nerve compression in the tarsal canal in diseases like diabetes, hypothyroidism, arthritis, peroneal nerve irritation or  rarely a neuroma. It might be part of multisystem diseases like leprosy, multiple sclerosis, sciatica, peripheral vascular disease or raynaud’s disease. It could be sciatica or degenerative disc disease. You should check with a neurologist for the evaluation of these causes and treatment of the underlying cause after a local injury is ruled out. I hope this helps.
You really need to consider that the problem is your BACK. Go to a physical therapist FIRST.  My PCP has been telling me everything and anything including to take 3 advil 3 times a day basically all the time (I guess I don't need a liver!)  I had numbness for over 3 yrs and finally had my PCP send me to a physical therapist that specializes in the back and neck and it has been AMAZING!!!!  She has been wonderful and explains everything.  It has taken 6 weeks of patience and dedication but what a world of difference!  Your nerves come from your back and that is most likely your problem.  TRUST ME!  No surgery or pills just the right physical therapist that KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!  I go to The Center for Physical Therapy in Cincinnati Ohio.  Wishing you the best!