Neurology Community
told you have moebius syndrome at age 20 or is it somthing else

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I saw a doctor and this was never presented before even at neuroligst office. I saw a Joint doctor and his resedent was checking me bones and refluxes and skin.

I'm weak on my right side icludes leg, arm, and face ( which i never noticed). I don't have good sensation on my right side or none it either numb or or hardly feel it. i can't feel my skin by my face on rigt or left or my head. the head numbness i was awear of. I cant move my eyes left to right but that has been for awhile but i can see to the side of me. when he asked me to smile he said it droped on right side more. i have slurred speech, balance problems and sensitve to lights and horrible migraines that also make me fall asleep and have a hard time getting people to get me up ,spasms and ect.

He metiond stoke but sence i have ehlers danlos type 3 it might not be vascular type wich confused me. I know i have always walked straight leg on my right leg aswell ever sence i could walk. My mom also said i walked before i crawled i only layed on my stomach and pulled myself with my arms she called it the army crawl. Theres a nerve in front of my ear its a big one if you tap it on the right side it makes my whole middle to right side of my face jump and if you do it to the left it make my whole middle to left side jump. I know both calcium are fine. both potassium are fine and my magnesium is fine.

Does this sound like moenius syndrome. Can you be told by a doctor a 20 you have it. can it cause brain problems. Or are there one that are similar. Any help would be helpful on anything on what this could be.

thanks-
CD
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. Mobius syndrome is a rare congenital neurological disorder characterized by facial paralysis and inability to move the eyes from side to side. Most are born with complete facial paralysis and cannot close eyes or form facial expressions.  Other symptoms are limb abnormalities like club feet, missing fingers or toes, chest wall abnormalities, crossed eyes or strabismus, difficulty in breathing or swallowing and corneal abrasions due to difficulty in blinking. You have some features conforming to this diagnosis. Your multiple neurological symptoms are also suggestive of multiple sclerosis. MS is a chronic demyelinating disorder where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI in addition, a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Hope this helps. Take care.
Some aspects sound like Moebius syndrome, but some do not.  People with Moebius syndrome usually have pareisis, not paralysis - meaning that the lack of sensation would be relatively uncommon.  

For more info:

http://www.moebiussyndrome.com/
http://www.facebook.com/moebiussyndrome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Many-Faces-of-Moebius-Syndrome/189215821115287