top of neck bottom of head
   i have this pain and the only way i know how to explain the location is right at the back of my head near the bottom right as it goes from skull to softer material, like back of the head top of the neck area, and it has been getting worse and worse over the years, it only really happens like if i laugh to long and cough to hard, but now it is EVERYtime i cough can be tiny and it brings this excrutiating pain in that location and it hurts worse if i turn side to side, i have to like tighten my head as much as i can till the pain goes away a little bit
Sounds like the episodes of pain I have suffered from for years caused by several different conditions:

Degenerative disc disease (narrowing of spaces between discs)
Facet Syndrome (pain, spasms, inflammation of connective tissue surrounding joints and trigger points at base of skull that turn the head)
Bulging Discs due to injury (showed up on cervical MRI)
Arthritis

I have had PT to help recover from the injury.  Traction, massage, cervical/back exercises, electrical stimulation.  Use heat/cold therapy and meds when absolutely necessary.  Headaches, pain from pinched nerve, muscle spasms, loss of mobility.
Had to resort to several rounds of cervical cortisone injections and finally radial nerve ablation.

I try and avoid activities that act as "triggers" like heavy lifting, moving furniture,  any activity that jolts the body,etc.  Watching my posture really helps, relaxing and stretching tight muscles, self-massage, staying hydrated, an ice-pack and rest usually help.  

Hope you can see a doctor, preferably an orthopedist, for a diagnosis/treatment.  You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hopeful53

Hi there. This pain could be due to cervical spondylosis, cervical spine disc degenerative disease, disc prolapsed or bony spurs, longstanding sitting in front of the computer screen or standing, lifting heavy weights, etc.  Prolonged sitting in front of computer for more than 8 hours a day for several years could cause permanent pain in neck. Rheumatoid arthritis, whiplash injury as if a car crash, spinal meningitis etc can cause neck pain just below the head. Consult a neurologist for assessment of your symptoms and investigation like blood tests and imaging including MRI spine and head. Hope this helps. Take care.

I have forward head syndrome and had a "locked skull" in that area for years with the same pain you have mentioned. I began an extensive treatment plan through my chiropractor called The Pettibon System which is a full spine reguvenation program of which I recommend to anyone experienceing spinal and back issues of any sort!! Greatest blessings to you *hugs*
hello it could also be a rare condition known as Arhnold Chiari Malformation, look it up and also have MRI done to check for it. It is so rare doctors never think of it unless u have imaging and list of symptoms and u must see a nerosurgen but plz at least look it up on the net and see if anything else fits