Neurology Community
torn disc in neck

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

torn disc in neck

I was involved in an auto mobile accident in January 2006, I was just diagnosted with a torn disc in c/6. The neurosurgeon told me surgery would fix the problem and the pain. I have been on medications since January and my pain is getting worse. I have been to physical therapy with no help and had pain shots in my neck. I am experiencing sharp pain in one area of my neck,shooting pains, tinging in my left arm and have trouble holding up my head. Is surgety my only option ? Anything can be done or any medications to help the pain? I would love to have the surgey if I can get my life back. I also was told I have to have a discoscope done first. If the discoscope is negative what can they do fro me. I have been in pain for 9 months.
I had surgery on my neck 10 years ago for a ruptured disk between C5 & C6.  I had been experiencing pain in left arm and weakness, along with incredible headaches.  After the surgery the pain and the headaches were gone.  I had to undergo physical therapy after surgery, along with home traction to help in the recovery.  My advice is to have the surgery.  

That being said, I just had an MRI because of pain in my right arm, shoulder, hand, numbness in fingers, and dizzyness...this is related to another injury to my neck in C6-C7 area that involves my spinal cord.  In the MRI they just did, the report comments on my past surgery where they used a cadaver bone to insert in between C5-C6, and they note that there was complete fusion, but, that the graft had moved.  Not sure what to think about that.   I see the neurosurgeon on Monday, so I'll find out if that is normal or not.  I'll post back on Monday and let you know.  Still, all in all, I would have the surgery.
Doc said that the cadaver bone they put in 10 years ago was still perfect and fully fused...the reason a portion of my cervical spine reversed was due to muscle tension.  10 years is pretty good....I named my bone "George Burns"  I figured he lasted 100 years, so my bone will too....10 years and counting!

Unfortunately for C6-C7, I have to have surgery.  He is going to use a metal ring(or something like that) instead of bone because it eliminates the risk of getting a disease from the donor bone and that he has had a lot of success using it.  He is also going to put a metal plate in so I won't need a neck brace.  Since they went in on my left side in front of neck on previous surgery he is going to go in on the right side this time.  I'll have matching scars....don't really care...I just want to feel better...I hope you get better soon!
thanks for your advice. I am to have a discogram done...my only problem now is that this is a workmans comp case and now the insurance company wants to pick my doctors for the discogram and surgery..I dont trust them....at this point I may have no choice,,,,can a surgeon fudge the results of a discogram?