Neurology Expert Forum
treatment for cerebellar incordination

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

treatment for cerebellar incordination

can i kno the treatment for incordination caused by cerebellar affection
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without a history and exam it's hard to know what is exactly causing your lack of coordination.  "Ataxia" is a term that implies incoordination but can be caused by lesions in your cerebellum (which is the structure in the lower back part of your brain, the dysfunction of which makes one walk a little like their drunken) or less commonly by lesions in your spinal cord (a so called "sensory ataxia") or occasionally from lesions in your inner ear ("Vestibular ataxia").  These can be differentiated on physical exam by your doctor.  Presuming that's been done already and your ataxia is from cerebellar dysfunction, the treatment is based on the cause.  For example, the most common cause of cerebellar ataxia is chronic alcohol abuse in which case stopping alcohol is the most important step along with making sure the patient is on adequate vitamins (B12, thiamine, folate).  Other causes can include Vitamin B12 deficiency (which can be replaced), stroke (which risk of additional strokes can be minimized), multiple sclerosis (which there are different medications for long term prevention of exacerbations as well as medications for these acute exacerbations), and occasionally tumor (but more commonly in children than adults).  Other hereditary causes can occur as well.  In all of these cases, physical therapy and walking aids can be very important to prevent falls.  I hope this is useful.
1 Comment
A related discussion, gait problem in elderly was started.