Neurology Expert Forum
tremors/twitches/spasms in lower legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

tremors/twitches/spasms in lower legs

Two weeks ago, I started to have a buzzing sensation on the back of my right leg, just above my right ankle.  It would buzz for about two to three seconds, then stop.  This would happen about 10-20 times throughout the day, and I only felt it when I was sitting.  Five days ago, I started experiencing little nerve-like twitches in both legs, from the knee down, when I sit or lay down.  They're like little spasms that are there only for a moment, but it is continuous, and they occur all over the lower legs.  You can actually see them move.  They don't hurt, but they are very annoying - makes it hard to go to sleep.  Last night, I slept on the sofa with my knees up to stop the twitchings.  My doctor gave me the routine exam (checking my gait, coordination, looked in the eyes, etc.) and said it could be nothing, stress, or it could be the onset of MS.  He offered a referral to a Neurologist. I asked him what he would do if it were him, and he said he would do nothing.  Wait to see if it would get worse. I seem to have no muscle weakness or coordination problems. I did have globus sensation a year ago.  An MRI on the brain revealed plaque (white spots on the outer), but there was virtually no mention of it at the time (The spine was not looked at).  I also have, what my doctor says, is a cyst on the back of my neck, just below the skull cap.  He says we don't do anything about those.  Could this cyst be the cause?  I am 47, 5'7, wt 195, don't smoke or drink.  Taking 10 mg of lisinopril. I also walk every day on the treadmill. Not diabetic.  Thanks for your help.
Twtiches or 'fasciculations' are quite common and can be from a variety of non-neurological causes such as medications, cold, exercise, fatigue, an overactive thyroid, and also from some spinal cord viral infections. Causes such as ALS or MS are rare and unlikely without other objective neurological disability. Twtiches that are more widespread and acute in nature are also more likely to be benign. There is also a benign fasciculation syndrome sometimes assocaited with cramps. If other symptoms develop over time like weakness, or clumsiness etc then it may need to be reevaluated. Keep following with your doctor as this is purely an educational forumrather than a formal medical opinion.

Good luck
Hi Carol,

My symptoms might be from lyme, doctor did lyme blood work and came negative but it is suggested that tests are not reliable. Should I see infection disease medicine doctor to confirm if i am a lyme patient?. i did not get any rash since 4 months and i have been having neuro problems and pains since then..

I live in NJ area, please let me know if any good lyme specialists that can help me,

thanks and please reply,

I cant believe it, ive spent weeks trying to find out whats going on with my legs and the symptoms above fit perfectly.

Ive had these same twitching, buzzing for 3 seconds a time sensations for nearly 3 months. Mine however (i think) were brought on by working my legs too much in the evening at a bar, I quit 2 months ago but still getting buzzing aching legs which again tend to get worse the more i use them.

Its so worrying and couldnt have come at a worse time for me, I have a year backpacking holiday to go on in 4 weeks! Which i will have to cancel :o(

Im 25 & healthy & live in the UK. Blood tests & xrays came back fine.But I will have to wait 3 months for an appointment with a Nurologist.

I have a couple of questions too if thats ok: Obviously the more i use my legs the more they buzz, ache and hurt, am I doing damage when they start to hurt? obviously usually if a part of your body hurts its natural to want to stop doing that activity, however I want to stay as mobile as possible but even just standing up for 30 mins to make dinner is such an effort!

Also If it is Lymme disease, can this be cured?
Follow-Up Question:  Okay, went to doctor(s) I have been Spondylolisthesis.  The fracture has allowed the 5th vertebra to shift 8mm forward.  Two nuerologist see no reason for surgery to correct since I am in no pain.  The reason I went to doctor in the first place is because I have a buzzing sensatino in might right leg, and I also have twitches in both of my legs, mostly around the calve muscles, and I newly have a twitch in my back.  Question: Could this probable nerve compression be causing these twitches, or should I be having more test to look for other probable causes?  Should I request an MRI to confirm nerve compression?  I have no weekness in any parts of my body, but the possibility of ALS or MS is still making my anxious.  I am driving myself (and my dear wife) crazy.  Your help appreciated.
Follow-Up Question: Okay, went to doctor(s) I have been Spondylolisthesis. The fracture has allowed the 5th vertebra to shift 8mm forward. Two nuerologist see no reason for surgery to correct since I am in no pain. The reason I went to doctor in the first place is because I have a buzzing sensatino in might right leg, and I also have twitches in both of my legs, mostly around the calve muscles, and I newly have a twitch in my back. Question: Could this probable nerve compression be causing these twitches, or should I be having more test to look for other probable causes? Should I request an MRI to confirm nerve compression? I have no weekness in any parts of my body, but the possibility of ALS or MS is still making my anxious. I am driving myself (and my dear wife) crazy. Your help appreciated.
A related discussion, Leg tremors/spams was started.