Neurology Community
turrets syndrome type convulsions...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

turrets syndrome type convulsions...

I am a 52 year old woman. About a year ago I began to have some type of what I would call turrets syndrome type convulsions... At first it would begin if I had been very stressed out by something, or if I’d get too cold. My body temp tends to run low, so when I get cold "inside" I know I am in trouble. It used to happen when I would ride on the motorcycle with my husband. I would be relaxed and enjoying the breeze and then It seemed like the vibration of the motorcycle would set off the turrets syndrome type convulsions...it would start with my leg jerking and work itself up into my jaws and face so that I couldn't even get a sentence out. I can go for some time without having "one of these episodes". But this last one I had was amazingly strong and all inclusive - my whole body. I had come into the emergency room for a cat scan to see if my appendix was bad. I was VERY COLD partly because the room was cold. But I was also shaking from nerves – you know – when your body has those little shakes all over “inside” you. When they put the dye in me it made me very hot. When the dye wore off - quickly - and they were pushing my bed back to my room, I began to get cold again and have the shakes. I felt the jerking beginning in my head and jaws. By time I got back to my room my whole body was stiffening up and bending this way and that. The doctor couldn’t bend my leg to get a knee jerk reaction. He didn’t know what to do. I told him I was too cold and needed my covers back on. He did nothing!! Once I got warm again, things slowed down to the point where I could go home. That took about 30 to 45 minutes. These episodes leave me weak and exhausted. I can even talk a bit - through clinched teeth. My jaws clinch, my head tucks, my body stiffens, jerks and relaxes over and over. I know I won’t die from them but they happen at the most unexpected times. Any idea of what they might be cause by?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

Convulsion are the manifestations of seizures. A seizure is a spell of abnormal brain functioning, and may or may not be accompanied by convulsions.

You need to get an Electro-encephalogram (EEG) done. The EEG is most likely to pick up any small seizure activity in the brain. Looks like a partial seizure.

Also check your blood minerals and calcium.

Regards
I will do that. Thank you.
I don't think this is Tourette's Syndrome.
Look at this information about Myoclonus and see if it sounds like you.

Myoclonus Fact Sheet
Myoclonus describes a symptom and generally is not a diagnosis of a disease.
It refers to sudden, involuntary jerking of a muscle or group of muscles.
Myoclonic twitches or jerks usually are caused by sudden muscle contractions, continued....
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/myoclonus/detail_myoclonus.htm

If your body temperature seems to always be low, this may be due to subclinical thyroid problems.  Look for information about Wilson's Temperature Syndrome.

For the muscle contractions, you can try supplementing with magnesium glycinate or taurinate, which are better absorbed in the intestines than mag oxide.
Source Naturals "Ultra Mag" is a good example.
Also, eating several ounces of almonds per day is helpful, as almonds are high in magnesium.
You'll have to continue to supplement magnesium for a long while.

A number of people at the support group LymeNet.org have myoclonus and low body temperature.  These conditions can be triggered by tick borne infection, which depletes the level of magnesium within the muscle and nerve cells, and also seems to cause thyroid problems.

Wishing you the best,
Carol