Neurology Expert Forum
twitches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

twitches

Subject: twitches

Forum: The Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum

I'll start off by saying that this is a wonderful service you offer.  I know that time is sparse for most specialists and you are good to give of yourselves in this way.  I'll give you a brief overview of my situation and then throw a couple of questions @ you.
I am a 24 year old male and I live a pretty happy and healthy life but my "benign fascics" still bother me.  They came on very suddenly a couple of years ago and just never went away.  I wasn't sick or under much stress when they came on.  I was baffled as to what was causing me to twitch thousands of times a day.  Neuro specialists suspected benign fascics.  They told me the twitches were of no "medical significance."  That didn't help much.  My twitching was and is very much like "Chinese water tourture."  It is amazing how little twitches can set an ordinary person off.  I'm a level headed person with a high threshold for stress but I confess, I started to crack up from sort of hating what I felt my body was putting me through.  Something that was pointless and of "no medical significance."  I wanted a broken leg instead. At least I'd know why my leg was broken.  A broken leg heals.
Anyway, that was a year ago and I've moved on with my life even though the twitches are the same and while I lead a good life without too much interuption from obsessing over my twitches, they bother me like only another twitcher could know.  So my question to you is this:  Is it justifiable you your professional opinion to seek the aid of a mild antidepressant to curve the anguish that these chronic twitches cause?  Granted, those little pills don't address the problem directly but they seem to be the only thing western medicine has to offer me.  I suspect it might help and I will consult my doc face to face but I'd like to read what you have to say about this because on totally on the fence with this issue. Also, (and I apologize for the length here)  I'd be very, very interested to know If you are seeing a rise in cases of the problem I suffer from.  Is this a new syndrome in your opinion or something that a minority of people have always dealt with.  I must say, I certainly never heard about it until I got it.   I would appreciate any feedback you can give. Thanks

Follow Ups:

Re: twitches John  4/16/1999
(0)

Re: twitches chad 4/06/1999
(0)

Re: twitches Robert 4/05/1999
(0)

Re: twitches CCF neuro MD MM 4/03/1999
(13)

twitches willy 4/04/1999
(12)

Re: twitches Jill 6/10/1999
(0)

Re: twitches Char 4/07/1999
(1)

twitches willy 4/07/1999
(0)

Re: twitches x 4/04/1999
(8)

twitches willy 4/05/1999
(0)

twitches Debra 4/05/1999
(6)

Re: twitches Mrs. X 4/06/1999
(0)

Re: twitches Mrs. X 4/06/1999
(4)

twitches Debra 4/06/1999
(3)

Re: twitches Mrs. X 4/07/1999
(2)

twitches This ain't the place for sticks  stones!! 4/07/1999
(1)

Re: twitches CCF MD MM : Please discontinue thread 4/08/1999
(0)