Neurology Community
twitching and shaking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

twitching and shaking

So recently I have had problems with my left hand twitching and shaking. I'm starting to get concerned. I currently take 300mg Dilantin daily for epilepsy. I have a strange kind of epilepsy in addition to grand mal seizures, I have what have been defined as "reflex epilepsy". Meaning when I go from sitting to standing, walking to running, for things similar... Normally, I have to wait a few seconds till my brain stops misfiring and I can control my legs.I've had it as a child and both my brothers have it, same exact kind. My sister does not. My dad said he had it but it went away. The doctors did not know what it was for years till I had a grand mal seizure... they treated it the grand mal seizure with Dilantin and the other issure went away. my brothers all got on Dilantin and they no longer deal with the same issure.  I say this because I think the twitching might be related, so I'm going to try to up my dosage and see if it fixes the issue.

but I'm worried I might have MS. My stomach mussels were twitching yesterday, My hand was shaking and twitching more then normal too. Sleep seemed to fix the issues, but while I was sleeping my eye mussels were twitching, my leg mussels, my stomach, all slightly twitching. It all made me tired.

I do drink too. and the night before I had a bit to drink.

I notice my body starts to shake really bad (unusually) if I'm even slightly cold.
Lastly, for many years when I lye down to sleep, I always feel the need to move my legs a lot before I fall asleep... don't know if its related.
Is the shaking and twitching related to my epilepsy? how do I know if I have something worse like Parkinson's Disease or MS?
Avatar n tn
I have been on Dilantin for 4 months following a craniotomy, am am currently getting weaned off it.  I have also had most of the same symptoms since my surgery, and after a bit of investigating online I found that many of these can be caused by Dilantin.  Since I've dropped my dose, I've noticed an improvement.  Also, in all that I read it said not to drink alcohol while taking Dilantin-maybe this is exacerbating your symptoms?  Hope this helps.